Furnace Vent - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2007, 06:53 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Adding to the list of things I want to fix on my Scamp...when the weather dries up a bit! Is something to stop the wasps from building a nest in the furnace vent.

Now I've seen this, can describe it a bit, but don't have a picture of what I need. This is the problem area:

Name:   FurnaceVents.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  23.2 KB

What I've seen, is what appears to be a small kitchen strainer riveted or screwed into the four areas right around the vent.

Does anyone have a part number, where to get it, and info on how it's attached?

Many thanks!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Donna, you mean like these?

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:11 AM   #3

That's it Roger! I see it comes with the attachment hardware...any gotcha's to look out for??

Old 01-03-2007, 07:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
No, I think that some configurations "snap" on and off. Some configurations may use the vent mounting screws to hold them on. They're pretty straightforward.

Rog
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:26 AM   #5

I'll see if I can find it locally, really don't want to pay S&H if I don't have to. And, if I run into any problems, I'll post back so others can learn from my mistakes

Thanks again Rog
Old 01-03-2007, 07:30 AM   #6

Found it! Camping World. There's one just south of Portland and I go by it at least once a month on my way to Eugene.

$15.29 PCP
Furnace Screen for Wasps
Old 01-07-2007, 04:48 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Donna D, I would think unless this screen is made of stainless steel it wont take long for the chemicals in the exhaust to rot it through.
I have a piece galvanized tin, on my house propane boiler exhaust, and it got rusted after only a few days of operation.
Maybe you have to remove when furnace is in use.

Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:11 AM   #8

Gerry according to the screen information, yes it is stainless and yes you do need to remove it when the furnace is in use. It snaps on and off for ease. The problem isn't in the winter when the furnace would probably be in use, the problem occurs during the warmer months the wasps like to build their nests. Looking through the vent, I couldn't believe the size of the paper nest buildup I saw...and that happened in only a couple of months over the summer. It looked like a fire hazard if I were to try and fireup the furnace too
Old 01-07-2007, 10:45 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I use this one. The method of attaching and removal isn't as easy as they would lead you to believe. I ended up using some heavyduty velcro to attach it. Now it removes and attaches easily. It stays in place while traveling. The first time I went out with it on I forgot to remove the screen prior to using the furnace. Didn't seem to matter, so I just leave it on.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The round one's are held in place with a spring. I found out they will tend to allow water to drain into the furnace when it rains so I used some of that aluminummmmm tape to make a roof over the top one and it works well and does not come off when traveling.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:23 AM   #11

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Donna,

I made one for my Scamp. I think there's picture of it in my photo folder on the Yahoo site. I took a piece of scrap screening and made a cover that goes over both holes. I used a small spring to attach it. I did take it off while in Alaska as I had water come into my Scamp via the furnace exhaust for the first time. The cover had been on my Scamp for 5 1/2 years with no water leaks until I went to Alaska.

I haven't put it back on as yet but will have it on by the time I head to the No. Ore. Gathering in April. Actually I think I'll put it back on before the February Winter Warmup down south. I'm just using zip ties this time no spring.

The screen isn't going to and doesn't restrict the flow of air. I'm surprised that the commercially made ones suggest removing them. What a pain, every use your furnace.
I put the screen on early 2001 and as I said didn't remove it until this last July 2006.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace