Furnace Vent Removal Ideas Wanted - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #1

Name: Lise
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Registry
Furnace Vent Removal Ideas Wanted

Working on sealing up leak points before the weather turns.

Yesterday I started on the furnace vent, while finishing up the stove vent.

The furnace is a Hydro Flame BRC 10A. I believe it is original to the Boler, and it is working fine.

I am having a hard time removing the back of the furnace, what I am going to call the exhaust vent. Took the cover off, loosened the putty tape, and removed the blocking from the back of the furnace (through the fridge vent which is just above).

The exhaust vent is connected to the furnace by a larger (approx 8" diameter) vent box metal tube, and inside of that is a smaller (approx 4 " diameter) vent cap metal tube. Both are connected directly to the furnace by sliding into it. It is clear where the larger vent box tube connects to the furnace and that loosens easily. I cannot see or feel where the inside vent cap tube connects. It is rusty and can't be budged. I have tried WD-40, and various wedges and tools to try to loosen this connection. All I've accomplished is a bit of bending of the vent cap assembly.

In this thread Yvon Chayer's description is similar to what I see in mine: how to remove hydro flame furnace vent cover

According to the Installation Instructions for this furnace the small tube is the inserted into the large tube as the last outside step. Fiberglass RV - Document Center - BRC-10 Hydro Flame Gravity Feed Furnace - Install

Looks like TimR had this problem as well. I PM'ed him but haven't heard back. 17' Boler Furnace Exterior Vent Removal

Looking for creative ideas I may not have thought of yet. As the furnace works and I would need to bust it to get it out, if I can't disconnect it I will clean it as best I can and jam new putty tape in.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 5.25.18 PM.png  
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #2

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
From the looks of the wood blocks you have under that flange that there is enough room to get new putty tape under it.

no guarantee this will work but it is worth a try before you force the furnace apart.....

First use a knife or a bent over piece of coat hanger wire to pull out the old tape. Then put some solvent on a folded over strong rag and "floss" it under the flange to clean the area as best as you can.

A trick to use to make the putty tape easier to get under there is to stick it in the freezer overnight and only cut as much as you need for one strip at a time. It won't hurt the putty tape to put it in the freezer, it is designed to take freezing but it will stiffen it up and possibly allow you to slide it underneath versus trying to work with warm soft tape . Fold the paper at the ends over at 45 degrees so enough of it projects to pull it off after you put the tape in the gap. That might help it slip in easier since the paper is slippery compared to the putty tape. You can reuse the release paper to put it on both sides of the tape.

Old 09-25-2016, 10:36 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I have run across the same issue on Trilliums / Duo Therm furnace. You can consider the inner vent to be welded together. If I had to do it over, I would try to leave it in place and stuff new putty in. I'd say k_corbin has the right idea.
Old 09-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
From the looks of the wood blocks you have under that flange that there is enough room to get new putty tape under it.

no guarantee this will work but it is worth a try before you force the furnace apart.....

First use a knife or a bent over piece of coat hanger wire to pull out the old tape. Then put some solvent on a folded over strong rag and "floss" it under the flange to clean the area as best as you can.

A trick to use to make the putty tape easier to get under there is to stick it in the freezer overnight and only cut as much as you need for one strip at a time. It won't hurt the putty tape to put it in the freezer, it is designed to take freezing but it will stiffen it up and possibly allow you to slide it underneath versus trying to work with warm soft tape . Fold the paper at the ends over at 45 degrees so enough of it projects to pull it off after you put the tape in the gap. That might help it slip in easier since the paper is slippery compared to the putty tape. You can reuse the release paper to put it on both sides of the tape.
I like the way you think. Freezing is pure genius in this case. Filed in my memory banks for future reference or frustrations trying to remember it.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Thanks Karin for the pointers on how to clean up and how to apply the tape in this case. Very helpful insight as always 😀.

David I read your thread on furnace removal with interest, and was rooting for you to win the battle. I know how experienced you are and when you couldn't get it to budge without removing the whole furnace I lost a lot of hope in having this leak repair be an easyish job.

I have been spraying it with PB Blaster and banging and tugging on it whenever I have a spare minute. All this with the hope of being able to cone on here and post a pic of me holding the exhaust vent aloft in victory.

So far, no luck. Has been good for neighborhood morale and entertainment.

Will give it one more day...😆

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #6

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Plan PB Blaster was never a viable option for loosening the join, gravity is not on your side in this situation. The tubes would have to be standing vertically for it to penetrate far enough into the join all around the circumference.

Clean off the PB Blaster and move on.

Problem solving requires "what if" scenario thinking. Slow down and think through your actions before you make them.

There are times when you can force things to happen and get away with some collateral damage and there are times when you should be careful about what you are doing. This is a situation where you need to exercise cautious consideration in what you do. Exhaust fumes from a furnace are dangerous. Don't bang on those tubes, you could deform them and cause a leak at the join.

Clean out underneath that exterior flange, if you can't get new putty tape into it then inject a suitable caulking product into the gap. Suitable caulking means having the right temperature rating for use on a furnace exhaust vent. That most likely does mean it will be a silicone caulk, one with a high temperature rating. You can get that at HVAC supply sources or from auto parts stores.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If the furnace is working have you tried firing up the furnace and turn it off while its hot then trying to pull it apart? You have to take all necessary protections for heat and fire but those thin wall tubes may move enough when hot to help you.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #8

Name: Tim
Alberta
I did have this problem a while back. I lost a wheel and it flipped up into the fiberglass and did some damage. I did spray it liberally with some of the PB blaster and let it sit a couple days. It didn't budge. I left it as I did my repairs. When that was done, I went to pick up my furnace to put it back. It came apart in my hands!!! The pipe itself rusts so much that it's almost like a weld. The solvent just needed some more time to work I guess. I even tried pounding it off after the second day and it wouldn't move.

Sorry about not answering the PM as I just got notified when opened this string!

So I guess the lesson is, how long do you have to wait? It did eventually come apart, but not really in a timely fashion.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:18 AM   #9

Washington
Registry
I fired up the furnace but it still wouldn't budge. Did burn off a lot of the solvent smell. 🙃😂

Cleaned it, put on new putty and replaced the vent cover.

Took a lot longer than the expected hour to reseal it, lots of swearing too! 😝. Looks fine now, sure hope I never have to open that thing again.

Moved on to the resealing the lights; don't want to start another project that might bite back until I return from the NOG.

Thanks all for the ideas and encouragement. The input was appreciated and helped me keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
furnace