Garage opening clearance 6'10" - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 07:01 AM   #21

Name: Rita
Trailer: still shopping
Florida
Dave, I have plenty of ceiling height inside, with no obstructions. I'd need to get HOA permission to change my door size.

KC, thank you. I do like the Compacts, and buying one of those would solve all issues. I would need to install 2 side by side bunk beds in front, I think. I need sleeping for 4. Not sure if that is even possible.
Rita in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
I don't think bunks would work very well in a Compact.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:52 AM   #23

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita in FL View Post
... I need sleeping for 4. Not sure if that is even possible.
A small pop-up camper (tent trailer) would only be about five feet high and many of them will easily sleep 4, 5 or 6. But they take a while to set up, and when I had one I would set it up in the driveway so I could get to the fridge and prep the camper. That took me a full day. Then on the return it was another full day to get it ready to go in the garage. Not sure the HOA would like that even.

By the way, have you measured the length (or depth) of the garage? Some people have had to modify their trailers with a folding or removable tongue to get them in a garage.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #24

Florida
Gordon, a 13 will fit with plenty of room to spare. A 16 would also fit, but I'd likely have no room to maneuver around it. I'd like to avoid a full pop up, for the reasons you described.
Old 11-01-2018, 03:27 PM   #25

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Sleeping room for 4 depends on what four. Two adults and two children that can fit on a bunk = many 13 foot trailers will work. The typical 13 footer will have a front gaucho (couch) that covers to bunks and a rear dinette that converts to a small double bed.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 09:03 PM   #26

Florida
Bill, yes, that's exactly why I like the Scamp option 1. Most of the living will be done outside. Not worried about a flat screen or bathrooms. I just like the idea of solid walls to sleep behind.
Old 11-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Sleeping room for 4 depends on what four. Two adults and two children that can fit on a bunk = many 13 foot trailers will work.

Could be a little cozy for a 14-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl and their parents.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:19 AM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
We are four (13 and 16 year old kids and parents) in a 13' Scamp. Cozy- yes. Comfortable- yes. Sleeping is the most crowded, but once everyone's settled, it really doesn't matter. Big improvement over a tent. I've owned tent trailers and agree they have a lot more space, but I happily trade that space for solid walls and no wet canvas to fold.

One caveat is the 120# weight limit on the upper bunk. Our 16 year old is petite, so it works.

In day mode with beds stowed, there's plenty of room for four to read, play games, watch video. etc. on a wet evening. We mostly cook and eat outside.

Very few trailers bigger than 13' will fit in your garage height-wise. Even many 13'ers won't fit. 2007 and later Scamp- nope. Raised suspension- no go. Roof A/C- won't fit. You'll have to take it on a case-by-case basis. If you buy an older trailer and later replace the axle, you may find it grows an inch or two.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 10:23 AM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
It is often easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.
If you really want a trailer and have to store it in your garage then increase the door opening height and tell the HOA to go to HELL .
Living in Florida you need air conditioning and I don’t know of any hard sided trailer with A/C that will fit through a 6’10” opening.
I just built a 30’ x 40’ pole barn with a 12 ft x 18 ft overhead door to store my trailers .
We’ve owned a Scamp , a Casita and an Escape and none of them would fit through a 6 ft 10 inch opening
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 11:38 AM   #30

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It is often easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission. If you really want a trailer and have to store it in your garage then increase the door opening height and tell the HOA to go to HELL.
That could get expensive! My brother-in-law is a lawyer and serves on retainer for his HOA. He's actually a pretty reasonable guy and the HOA is not one of the nit-picking kind, but I can't imagine them just overlooking a major street-visible project like that. Ignoring a violation means they forfeit the right to enforce other violations in the future.

Sadly, the best way to send the HOA packing... is to start packing.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:41 AM   #31

Florida
Thanks, Jon. I was not aware of the top bunk weight limit. I'd like something small that I won't have to give up when my kids grow older. I'm leaning toward an aframe. An Aline ranger 12 maybe? That would solve all my issues. Then when the kids leave the nest, I can revisit the Scamp idea.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #32

Arizona
Registry
That might be your best bet as long as the HOA requirement stands. Although they aren't as leak resistant as a molded trailer, having inside storage will go a long way toward preventing problems. I think they can be equipped with an AC unit that mounts through a lower side wall. You might want to find out the bed sizes- I'll bet they're fairly narrow (like the Scamp dinette). We make a narrow bed work for 2 people by sleeping in opposite directions in separate tapered sleeping bags.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #33

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Where there's a will....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It is often easier to ask for forgiveness then to ask for permission.
Where there's a will...

I can imagine a clever contractor doing almost all the work from the inside with the door closed, and doing the outside finishing work quietly at night. With maybe a large panel truck parked in front. Raise the header board. Fix all the trim.

Then I might buy or borrow an old sacrificial truck to drive into the existing garage door requiring its replacement. Oops!!! (Actually, it's not likely that it will damage the truck if it's not a modern one. Find a guy with and old truck from the 60s or 70s and pay him to do the job. A serious push into the door will do. )

Of course, if a panel can be added to the garage door to increase its height, replacement wouldn't be necessary, and could probably be done from the inside as well.

The HOA might never notice the increased height. Just make sure your neighbors across the street aren't vigilantes.

Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:09 PM   #34

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
You don't need to be a brute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita in FL View Post
The thought of changing out tires every time I want to use the Scamp is intimidating, I admit. Also, I'm a single woman, so any method requiring a lot of brute strength might not be feasible, fit as I am!
Rita,

You don't need brute force, you can buy it:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...nch-68099.html

These would keep you from over torquing the lug nuts, unfortunately you only need one, but you have to buy the whole set. Other places may have them individually.

https://www.harborfreight.com/10-Pie...Set-69870.html

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #35

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
this is why I have never lived in a housing "development" with an HOA. last 25 years, been in a 1950s ranch house on the edge of town on a couple acres. its bad enough having to deal with county planning if I want to build something, never mind a bunch of busybodies who are concerned with what I park on my driveway, or what color my house is painted.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:52 PM   #36

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Eggcamper
Kansas
You might consider a Trailmanor pop-up. We owned one for years. It's not fiberglass, but it is hard-sided and will fit in most garages.

Pros: Is spacious. (Ours was 27' long open, 20' long closed. Other sizes are available.) Available with A/C. It can be put up/taken down in the rain without having to worry about wet canvas (as there is none) or interior getting wet. Around 5' tall when in down position. It goes up/down with torsion bars, no cranking needed.

Cons: More setup is required with a pop-up when camping.
Ruban&Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:43 PM   #37

Name: Garry
Trailer: Surf Side
Alberta
Registry
You could always try these and lower it by a lot. Take the wheels off and set them down on these.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...es/A-p8683328e

Letting the air out of the tires will make it much harder to push into the garage.

Garry
The_Kramers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #38

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Scamp 16
Washington
Plywood Wheels

I have a 1990 16 Scamp. I don't have air on top so highest point is the vent. Our garage door is 83.5 inches. The hubs are 10". I made 11" plywood wheels (3/4") and then cut a bicycle tire up and stapled around the wheel to help it roll. I ended up needing one more inch so I cut the 2 x 6 trim off the top of the garage door opening and backed it in. I screwed the trim back up so I can take it down when needed.

Overall it was pretty easy ... of course it took longer than expected!
kjackson82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 11:23 PM   #39

Arizona
Registry
I would not have expected any 16' Scamp to fit through a 7' garage door. Good job!
Old 10-23-2021, 11:51 AM   #40

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
What size tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Rita,
Here's a YouTube video of a 16' Casita with front AC pushed into a garage. Note the extra small tires.

Do you know what size the tires you put on to get your Casita in the garage ?
Carolah is offline   Reply With Quote