Gas Meter Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2014, 09:50 AM   #1

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Shopping
New York
Gas Meter Question

So I'm in the process of buying detectors for my 13' Burro. I want to detect LP Gas, and Carbon Monoxide. There are dual detectors available, but from what I understand, you want to mount an LP detector along the ground, as LP will pool at the floor. And a Carbon Monoxide detector needs to be up higher, no? So is a dual detector really useful/safe? Am I missing something? I hope so, because I'd love for one detector to take care of my installation.
AndrewB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:48 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Propane will definitely pool in lower locations, but CO, should mix almost evenly. It is Only slightly lighter then O2, and CO2 would be heavier still, but both O2 and CO2 mix more or less evenly, so CO should as well. I also plan to buy a combo detector. I found one a Home Depot. It runs on 120VAC, but it has a battery backup. I plan to use a cheep DC to DC converter to power it with 12 VDC.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:23 PM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I bought a combo smoke and CO2 detector at Home Depot that is powered by multiple AA batts. I have lots of rechargeable AAs around and keep them ready to go. Next thing I need is a way to charge them from my new (as yet uninstalled) solar rig. I could run my existing 120V charger off an inverter but it seems like a long way around just to charge DC batts off a DC source.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: Hunter
New Mexico
You could hire an out of work cigar tender to sit up at night and sniff out any leaks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Seldomseensmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:53 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Just this month I replaced the 1 yr old propane/CO detector in my Escape (they are not cheap either - the one I got was about $135 Cdn). The original was going off unexpectedly when propane was not even being used in the trailer. These detectors do have a "best before" date on them. So when you buy one, make sure that you are getting new stock. I suspect the one my Escape came with may have been old stock.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:06 PM   #6

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seldomseensmith View Post
You could hire an out of work cigar tender to sit up at night and sniff out any leaks.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
We'll have tenders on board, but CO is undetectable even to those crafty fellas.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #7

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
I hard wired a propane detector in my scamp 13. I have a CO detector where Scamp put it (on the FG dinette bench seat support, facing sofa). I did put the propane one nearer the floor, on the FG sofa support:bulkhead whatever you call it.

I don't know why I didn't buy the battery operated dual? I guess I couldn't find one in rv stores. Duh, never checked homey d. But I'm happy with what I have.

I sorta thought the one scamp mounted was kind of low too.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I thought that the only one that makes sense is the CO detector, since CO is odorless. General smoke detector makes sense too. LP has strong odor because they add the stink to it, so is that needed? I have not looked at the cost of these, if the combination detector costs about the same as a single purpose, I would probably get it. Right now I just have the CO detector.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #9

New York
Registry
I thought propane detector works for the raw unburned propane? That's why I got it. I have a furnace and hot water tank. I don't know I just thought it was a good idea. Varying opinions here, I guess I just feel safer having both.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 PM   #10

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I thought that the only one that makes sense is the CO detector, since CO is odorless. General smoke detector makes sense too. LP has strong odor because they add the stink to it, so is that needed? I have not looked at the cost of these, if the combination detector costs about the same as a single purpose, I would probably get it. Right now I just have the CO detector.
If you were sleeping you might not wake up to smell the LP gas. For my family it's super important because we have our baby in a portable crib that has him sleeping just above floor-level.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #11

New York
Registry
Totally agree with you there about the sleeping and propane. A prudent decision i think for propane detectors. And if you're just dog tired or had a few beers too. . Smile