Gas mileage and air deflectors for vans - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Will a deflector make much difference?
Yes, it will help 0 0%
Yes, it might help, but not much. 0 0%
No, I tried it and it was not worth the cost or effort 0 0%
Yes, but your driving habits are more important than the deflector. 2 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-01-2019, 10:13 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Just trying to help.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:36 AM   #22

Name: Robbie
Trailer: Casita
California
I use a Nido Deflector

Came with my first TT, three TT,s later I’m still using it.

Must be located as far back on the TV as possible and if it’s to far from the back of the TV to the TT can actually cause a small reduction in MPG due to created suction between TV and TT. (I’m told)

I use it because it seems to reduce buffeting, as I have High Lift axel and 15” tires so TT sits pretty high above my Highlander. It definitely keeps bugs off the Casita.

Sometimes I think it helps with MPG and sometimes not. If so not much.

I adjust it to deflect the airflow just enough to not have bugs on the TT.
Rob in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM   #23

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I put the success of these deflectors for reducing mileage right up there with the magnets people put on fuel lines.....

But as a way to keep debris off the front of your trailer? Probably a good idea.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 10:51 AM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Trying a deflector is on my list.
I see some go by in the used market for just a few bucks. If it's not worth the hassle I'll just sell it back.

I'm not expecting a huge improvement in fuel mileage. Some people say they are saving fuel, some say it's useless. I think most people have no idea how to install and adjust them properly.
My plan would be to try it on a level stretch of highway for some distance, round trip (headwind then tailwind) and drive the same run again without the deflector. My Scanguage should be accurate enough to measure any fuel mileage difference. Could be an interesting experiment.

One thing most people agree on, it really helps with the bugs. It fuel mileage doesn't improve much, I think it will be worth keeping it just for the bugs.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:30 AM   #25

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
EcoModder.com is a great resource for design and implementation of stuff like this. You can use their regular search or use the Google "site:ecomodder.com search-terms-here" syntax for more targeted searches.

There's a whole aerodynamics subforum, and you're not the first person to want to do this.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #26

Florida
Also, too, I've seen folks talking wind tunnels - yeah, if you have infinite cash...

If you want to see turbulence and airflow on the cheap, look to "yarn tufts", taped all over the back half of the van and the whole trailer, then videotaped on a calm day (no crosswinds) from two lanes away to reduce Bernoulli flow effects.

You'd have to do this both with and without the deflector.
Old 09-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #27

Name: Doug
Trailer: In the market
Virginia
If towing on interstate highways for long trips at or above 65mph, I expect you’d be well served by a properly designed deflector/spoiler, with perhaps as much as a 10% gain. Sixty & below not noticable.
Conch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #28

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Magnets? Magnets? We don't need no stinkin' magnets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
I put the success of these deflectors for reducing mileage right up there with the magnets people put on fuel lines...
And putting clothespins on the fuel line for vehicles with carburetors to cure vapor lock. Lots and lots of clothespins...

https://itstillruns.com/use-clothesp...k-7971011.html

I guess 5 is the magic number. or try wrapping the fuel lines in foil if the clothes pins don't work.

FYI: If you have "vapor lock" your fuel pump pressure is weak and you need a new pump, not clothespins.

YCMV (your clothespins may vary).

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #29

Name: Doug and Becky
Florida
Registry
Deflector

We have used an adjustable deflector for years. First behind a old Chrysler Town and country pulling a compact Jr. Milage went from 14 to 19. In Florida we have lovebugs about once a year. I adjusted it as low as possible so no bugs hit the trailer
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1422.jpg  
CompactJR-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 12:28 PM   #30

Name: Doug and Becky
Florida
Registry
Deflector

We have used an adjustable deflector for years. First behind a old Chrysler Town and country pulling a compact Jr. Milage went from 14 to 19. In Florida we have lovebugs about once a year. I adjusted it as low as possible so no bugs hit the trailer
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF1422.jpg  
CompactJR-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:01 AM   #31

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompactJR-Sailor View Post
I hate scrubbing the bugs off of the front of my Escape. I have often thought about constructing a wind deflector for the roof of my FJ just for the purpose of reducing the numbers of bugs that I have to scrub. If there is a concurrent improvement in gas mileage while towing while using the deflector, well that would be a bonus!

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 11:03 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
I'd like to believe it, and I'd run right out and install one myself if true, but to claim a 30% improvement in mileage from nothing more than that wing in the photo, is really a stretch.

Maybe you should put one on each side of the car too, for a total or three, and get a 90% improvement in mileage! Don't put too many of them on, or the gas tank will start overflowing as you drive!
Old 09-20-2019, 06:32 AM   #33

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Maybe you should put one on each side of the car too, for a total or three, and get a 90% improvement in mileage! Don't put too many of them on, or the gas tank will start overflowing as you drive!
Don't forget to put the tapering cone on the back of the trailer to eliminate the drag causing eddies as well!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:36 AM   #34

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nor1492 View Post
I tow my 14' camper with a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan. I am considering attaching a panel set at a 40 degree angle to the roof of my van at the back to deflect air over my camper, which is about 2-3 feet higher than my van roof. Will this improve my gas mileage, and is it worth the effort? I have the materials to make something with a deflector panel about 4 feet wide and about 20 inches tall. This would attach to the stock roof rack.
I breezed over the posts and never noticed any indication of how many miles you tow the trailer,, say per year or at what speed so there isn't an answer to your 2 questions.
fred
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:44 AM   #35

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
Don't forget to put the tapering cone on the back of the trailer to eliminate the drag causing eddies as well!
Interestingly enough, that would create a large savings in fuel, especially if it were an increasing taper that had a smooth transition from the maximum section.

We're designing this into the fiberglass fiver we're going to build.