Gel Coat Chips - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Gel Coat Chips

I am cleaning the Scamp with Bar keepers before I apply the floor sealer to make it shine. I see there are some rock chips in the front & a few places where some 1/4 inch sized places have the gel coat missing.. like little divets.

Is there something I can apply that would fill in these spots?

The place where it looks like rock chips seems like it's raized & could be scrubbed off but it wouldn't come out so I am thinking its chips.

Thanks for any info!
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2008 13' Scamp
British Columbia
Chips that are larger than what you seem to be describing can be filled with gel coat, wet sanded and polished to make an invisible repair. Gel coat for repairs is usually available in small jars at stores selling figerglass supplies.

I sounds like your damage may be less than what would require filling with gel coat. Gel coat thickness varies. It is often possible to carefully use wet and dry sandpaper to take out small imperfections. For things like that I use, depending on the amount of damage, 400/600/1000 grit wet and dry sandpaper, then buff and polish.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
Gel coat chips on my Trill were at the front and pretty bad. No amount of salsa was going to fix those! So I masked of a curve and sprayed Beige undercoating over it all to protect and hide. 2 cans did it but I was a newbie so I did not do a perfect spray job. Got a few spots where I did not move the can enough. 2 coats or more was needed. Looks better and is protected. Time will tell if the stones penetrate.
Do not remove the tape until dry and even then slowly, pulling away from the fresh edge of goo!
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote