gen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
gen

What do you do when it is raining out and you need to use gen. Without a pick-up. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:18 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
I've put mine under one of those Ez-Up canopies. I did see some campers who made a simple little house that they could take apart. It kept their generator dry and reduced the noise.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 12:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I have simply staked an umbrella over it, or placed it under the picnic table with a plastic table cloth or tarp over the table.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:35 PM   #4

Name: Barb
Trailer: Trillium Outback 2004
British Columbia
Registry
Generator in the Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
What do you do when it is raining out and you need to use gen. Without a pick-up. Carl
I thought of this too and did some research. You can purchase a generator 'tent' that doesn't go right to the ground and has a flap on the top for adding fuel, etc. But is was way too expensive.

Since I sew I thought I could make one for less than the $200 odd dollars they wanted for the retail model. The issue I discovered was obtaining the short fiberglass poles for the supports that slip into pockets at the 4 corners. The smallest white PVC piping might work. After looking at the waterproof fabrics, how to join the PVC pipes where they cross at the top, etc. I put that project on the back burner.

Then recently I was looking for some poles for a shade awning I am making for my trailer and came across a portable/foldable game.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-8...me-Ladder-Ball

It can be dual purpose - a game and a cover for my Honda 2000 generator. I just rec'd it yesterday and I will need to set it up so I can make the adaptations needed so it can be used for the gen. as well. I will be using pieces of a silicone tarp for the additions.

Since you are in the US there should be lots of other opportunities for coming up with something like this. There are a couple of reviews of generator tents here:

I also thought of an umbrella, and I do have a large golf course style one on hand. Then there is the issue of keeping it in place, and what about when the rain blows sideways?

Good luck in finding, making or purchasing something for your generator. From the Wet Coast of Canada!
Old 04-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #5

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Thanks everyone for your help/ideas. I don't think i would use the gen in a windy storm, i would just wait it out. More interested in a drizzly day, all day. I saw a nice tent at Cabellas on display once for $74 but i didn't have a gen then, but i never saw it again.Thanks again. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #6

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I'm also interested in ideas and new to the gen use. I assume putting it on the ground under the bed of a pickup truck truck is safe enough? I'd keep away from truck fuel tank etc, but I assume its not an issue with it running under there.....???

One more idea. Kinda related. I see those expensive lock down things. If one were to mount their gen feet to a piece of 3/4" plywood but the plywood was longer than the gen - then they backed up their truck over the gen with the truck tire sitting on the plywood - I would think that would be a good theft deterrent. Just make sure to undo it all before you go out for dinner LOL
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have though of a simple little "A" made from some corrugated plastic with a duct tape hinge. Folds flat when not in use but spreads out to cover the genny. The ends are completely open for air flow. Have not thought about holding it down, or blowing rain in the ends but then I don't expect to be running my generator under really severe conditions.

Actually, stealing an idea I saw on YouTube, I am considering mounting a cheap aluminum toolbox on the back of my Scamp for my Honda. It would secure it while under way and with suitable vents cut in the ends (I think he used marine deck access plates) it should be pretty weather tight and still be able to run the generator with the door closed.

I have actually slept in the Scamp at home during power outages (after hurricanes). The Scamp is set up to power my CPAP 12V and we just make an adventure out of misfortune. Hey, any excuse to use the Scamp.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe & Cherie View Post
I assume putting it on the ground under the bed of a pickup truck truck is safe enough?
Info from my buddy with 50 years repairing small equipment, "if you are on a dirt surface, you need to have your Honda up off the ground a bit so it doesn't suck in dust". I use a plastic tray the soda folks use for their truck deliveries to stores. Perfect footprint and 5" tall for a 2000. Most times I run it in the open truck bed with the tailgate closed to muffle the sound a bit. As far as locking it Joe, I store and travel with it on the floor behind the drivers seat.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #9

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
VERY good info - i'd have never thought of that and it makes great sense! Thanks for the tip!!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote