general camping help. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The best $4 item I have added to my trailer box is a Water Thief

Comes in very handy when camping at state/national parks where the only water supply is from an unthreaded faucet. Saves on having to fill up water jugs and pour it into the tank.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Does it ever NOT rain when camping, and it's always when we are packing up to head home. Theresa, I like how something useful can be made from what otherwise will be thrown away. I do it a lot, but usually it's with some mechanical type thing as that was my field of work. The Connecticut state park we go to will give out a little paper cup fire starter when you buy their wood, it looks like wood shavings or sawdust in some solid substance, maybe wax. Being retired I should try to be more cost conscious.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Does it ever NOT rain when camping, and it's always when we are packing up to head home. Theresa, I like how something useful can be made from what otherwise will be thrown away. I do it a lot, but usually it's with some mechanical type thing as that was my field of work. The Connecticut state park we go to will give out a little paper cup fire starter when you buy their wood, it looks like wood shavings or sawdust in some solid substance, maybe wax. Being retired I should try to be more cost conscious.
it never rains when camping, sometimes you get liquid sunshine is all.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #18

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
The only time I ever cussed about rain was many years ago and my boys were little.
We had a tent trailer and it seemed it never failed to rain when we were packing to leave.
John
Old 02-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #19

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
john----those two combined (rain and tent trailers) are the reason we purchased our FGRV!! the job of packing up wet and then unpacking and resetting it back up again at home to dry out became a major downer....sucked the joy right out of our camping experience.......
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Sunrader
California
Tent Pegs for any conditions

We have a ripstrop nylon awning we use when it's really hot. It's home made from a cheap (but noisy) reinforced plastic awning kit. We just used the grommet sections and sewed them onto nylon yardage, then saved the telecoping poles for center and corners. We can bungee it to our roof rack, ladder, or side view mirror racks or use poles where we need them. It stores in a skinny roll behind the front seats.

Since we camp at bluegrass music festivals, the beach, the desert and the woods, we find ourselves on a variety of surfaces.

To peg our awning lines to the ground, we carry several cheap large screwdrivers. The largest size we've found (at the dollar store) are a foot-long, not counting the plastic handle. They are easy to drive in, and easy to retriieve when you're ready to move.

Thanks for the dryer lint firestarter idea! And the trick candles would be great for backpacking! We carry a small kettle barbeque also for places where fires aren't permitted.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #21

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post

It is wax and it's wonderful because its water proof! You can make your own using cardboard egg cartons as the cups. Fill them with saw dust or dryer lint then fill them up with melted wax. Let them cool then cut the egg cups apart. Great fire starters and the wax keeps them dry in any conditions.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #22

Trailer: Boler
Registry
My recommendation for camping would be learn how to tie some knots. I have been a boater, camper most of my life so knots are second nature to me. A great one to know is the truckers hitch. With this knot you don't need any hardware to put lots of tension on a rope to say make your canopy tight or tie a canoe to the roof. All you need is a length of rope. Here's a link to a youtube demo. Practice it a few times and you will never forget it.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #23

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I use a old 16 cup electric coffee pot for hot water to do dishes, wash up, make coco, and any other thing you might need hot water for.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:34 PM   #24

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Another trick for starting a fire is to carry a little 9 volt battery and some steel wool. Touch both battery terminals to the steel wool... voila.

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote