general camping help. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #1

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
general camping help.

thought it might be nice to share some general camping tips with each other. some things we have learned that while not exactly trialer related,,,can help with general camping comfort and emergencies.
since i was answering a question about pop up canopies on another thread, i will start things off with the rope tensioner, and carrying extra lines.
rope is really pretty cheap, and super handy. learn some knots to use and it becomes really a very usefull tool.

extra tie downs are specialy usefull when the wind kicks up.

i make mine out of 1 inch dowel rod, drill 1/4 inch hole threw each end and thread it with 3/16th inch nylon line.
this is the closest picture i coult find, just substitute dowel for the squared wood they used. i usually carry 6-8 of these all made uyp and they have saved me all sorts of trouble. can even tie a bicycle down in your truck with them.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Thank You, John! I was trying to picture what you were describing and I couldnt for the life of me. Of course now that I see it I feel silly b/c it really is quite simple, lol.

Melissa
Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

Michigan
lol yes,i'm so simple i frequently confuse people .lol

sometimes a picture really helps.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Another option.
Make this one out of wood.
Click image for larger version

Name:	1000w.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	42930

Click image for larger version

Name:	129166_11727-tension-lock-mini_large.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	42931
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:54 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Same things that I use on my rope and pole awnings. Put a loop at the far end of that rope and hook it around the top of your awning poles, and stake through the loop end. Just tighten up as needed using the wood slider.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #6

Michigan
ok...ever have a gromet tear out ? or need to atach a rope where there is no gromet?
easy yo fix. place a marble,(i know you carry some, or look for the ones the last guy lost in that camping space, god knows i frequently lose my marbles while camping) or a marble sized stone under the canvase or tarp. tie your roe end around the tarp trapping the marble in a little sack. now your rope is attached and you can tie it down.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:25 AM   #7

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
They all are very nice, thank you for sharing with us.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #8

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
That first 'handy thing' is just like the guy ropes on old style canvas tents (like we used back in the 50's!) - we called them bails in those days and the lines needed attention frequently because of changing humidity allowing the canvas to tighten up or loosen.

One crucial thing for us is ALWAYS have the means to start a fire - and keep the stuff dry and in several places (car, backpack and camper). Newspaper and matches or flint are light and once you grab the ax or jacknife you have the means to get warm and heat food.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
like hazel, we, too, also make sure we can start a fire. i use cardboard egg cartons (the bottoms), fill the cups with dryer lint packed fairly tightly and pour melted wax over the lint. these starters are excellent....usually only one is needed and they just rip off of the carton.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A couple of tricks to start a fire - even damp:

• cotton balls saturated with Vaseline
  • trick birthday candles that won't blow out
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #11

Michigan
fires are always a good thing. i carry a small bag of matchlight charcoal brickettes.
a few down light them then add some wood .

in places where you can;t have an open fire, but can have a bar b que
i carry a smll 14 inch kettle grill, a spred of charcoal and you have a toasty warming spot. the kettle radiates the heat real nice
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
fire starting, here again I'm lazy, I take with us a few of the Duraflame Firestart bricks. They are about 6" long, can usually just use half of one to get a fire going. I use the Coghlans guy ropes and tensioners too, $2.99 for two at Campmor.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #13

Registry
ahhh, bob...you're not lazy! i'm just too cheap to pay $ when all the ingredients for my firestarters would normally be garbage (dryer lint, egg cartons and old candle stubs).
Old 02-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Always have a dedicated can opener as part of your camping equipment. I swear ours had legs of its own. Always prepare for it to be much hotter or cooler than you expect it to be and for rain despite what the weather says. These were the two areas that really caused us problems.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
The best $4 item I have added to my trailer box is a Water Thief

Comes in very handy when camping at state/national parks where the only water supply is from an unthreaded faucet. Saves on having to fill up water jugs and pour it into the tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Does it ever NOT rain when camping, and it's always when we are packing up to head home. Theresa, I like how something useful can be made from what otherwise will be thrown away. I do it a lot, but usually it's with some mechanical type thing as that was my field of work. The Connecticut state park we go to will give out a little paper cup fire starter when you buy their wood, it looks like wood shavings or sawdust in some solid substance, maybe wax. Being retired I should try to be more cost conscious.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:54 AM   #17

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Does it ever NOT rain when camping, and it's always when we are packing up to head home. Theresa, I like how something useful can be made from what otherwise will be thrown away. I do it a lot, but usually it's with some mechanical type thing as that was my field of work. The Connecticut state park we go to will give out a little paper cup fire starter when you buy their wood, it looks like wood shavings or sawdust in some solid substance, maybe wax. Being retired I should try to be more cost conscious.
it never rains when camping, sometimes you get liquid sunshine is all.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #18

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
The only time I ever cussed about rain was many years ago and my boys were little.
We had a tent trailer and it seemed it never failed to rain when we were packing to leave.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:46 AM   #19

Registry
john----those two combined (rain and tent trailers) are the reason we purchased our FGRV!! the job of packing up wet and then unpacking and resetting it back up again at home to dry out became a major downer....sucked the joy right out of our camping experience.......
Old 02-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1982 Sunrader
California
Tent Pegs for any conditions

We have a ripstrop nylon awning we use when it's really hot. It's home made from a cheap (but noisy) reinforced plastic awning kit. We just used the grommet sections and sewed them onto nylon yardage, then saved the telecoping poles for center and corners. We can bungee it to our roof rack, ladder, or side view mirror racks or use poles where we need them. It stores in a skinny roll behind the front seats.

Since we camp at bluegrass music festivals, the beach, the desert and the woods, we find ourselves on a variety of surfaces.

To peg our awning lines to the ground, we carry several cheap large screwdrivers. The largest size we've found (at the dollar store) are a foot-long, not counting the plastic handle. They are easy to drive in, and easy to retriieve when you're ready to move.

Thanks for the dryer lint firestarter idea! And the trick candles would be great for backpacking! We carry a small kettle barbeque also for places where fires aren't permitted.
SunraderMike is offline   Reply With Quote