Generator exhaust concern on trailer tongue. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2014, 06:15 PM   #43

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Knowles are we hitting to close to home?
I am not from a nanny state so I say to each his own. Common sense goes along way if one has any!

Old 02-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #44

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Common sense would tell you that it is inappropriate to suggest it's OK to do dangerous things.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:22 PM   #45

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Keystonerv.com has a sheet on Generator safety which is worth a read.

Lots of good points but found a couple of points rather interesting:

-Exhaust fans should never be used when the generator is operating as they will create “negative pressure” which can cause CO to be drawn inside the trailer.

- Operating the generator in woods with significant natural covering can create “pockets” of carbon monoxide which potentially can infiltrate the trailer.

- High humidity levels or similar weather conditions can provide a covering that can allow CO to linger and slows dispersal.

- Damage or modifications done to the exhaust system can cause back pressure which can cause increased or harmful levels of CO within the RV.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:31 PM   #46

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
OK
I think I will just make a tongue box for storage and run the generator away from the camper. Sounds like the best solution.
I love how many minds work out a problem.
Attachment 68533
LOL Kevin I think thats an excellent idea!
Old 02-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
I want to mount my Honda EU2000i generator on the tongue of my trailer for occasional use but am concerned about the exhaust gases. Should I make some type of add on exhaust stack to send the exhaust gases up and over the trailer?
Whats your opinion?
Setup something like this one.
Attachment 68502
Hey Kevin,
No way can I add to the above topics.
I would like to add a new question/issue of concern to me on your original post and what I saw in the picture. Please make sure that the steel frame and welds are sufficient to even hold this additional weight load bouncing up and down the road while towing. I do not have any stats but, at 55 mph a trailer frame separation from the tow vehicle is most likely not pretty.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:59 PM   #48

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Partee View Post
Hey Kevin,
No way can I add to the above topics.
I would like to add a new question/issue of concern to me on your original post and what I saw in the picture. Please make sure that the steel frame and welds are sufficient to even hold this additional weight load bouncing up and down the road while towing. I do not have any stats but, at 55 mph a trailer frame separation from the tow vehicle is most likely not pretty.
There is a weak point where the frame bend is that brings the two rails together at the hitch. Maybe another that is further back, Norm had a recent experience with that, related to lots of years and lots of miles rather than excessive weight mounted on the front. But his pictures do provide a guide to where one might want to pre-reinforce the frame for generator mounting on the front.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:00 PM   #49

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
Knowles are we hitting to close to home?
I didn't realize you were aiming at me...sorry to be the one to report that the broadside of my barn door is unscathed so far.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #50
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I run mine in my truck bed. Less than 6 ft from the trailer. Been doing that for 30+ years of camping and I'm still here.......

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 02-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #51
Commercial Member

Name: Robert
Trailer: Oliver Legacy
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Common sense would tell you that it is inappropriate to suggest it's OK to do dangerous things.

So true Glenn, whom and what criteria are to be used in determining what actions are defined as dangerous or not, is the last part needed to complete the puzzle.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #52

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
There is a weak point where the frame bend is that brings the two rails together at the hitch. Maybe another that is further back, Norm had a recent experience with that, related to lots of years and lots of miles rather than excessive weight mounted on the front. But his pictures do provide a guide to where one might want to pre-reinforce the frame for generator mounting on the front.
Does the Casita have the same bend in the frame (where Norms broke) that the Scamp has?
Old 02-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #53

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Does the Casita have the same bend in the frame (where Norms broke) that the Scamp has?
Not sure if it is the same but somehow the straight sides have to come together for the tongue. But I have seen trailers where the tongue is an independent piece welded under the frame and attached at several cross members. Not on campers I really just don't know on Casita.

Might already be reinforced on the Casita I never noticed, I was too busy checking out the cool stuff on the ones I have seen. Suppose one could contact them and give them the weight of the generator and location intended, they seem to have a decent reputation for customer service, they might be able to give you the best answer.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #54

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This thread is now four pages long as I write this reply. I'm NOT going to go read back all the responses and don't really care whatever one has written. I'm going to respond to the OP. I know of THREE people who have successfully mounted their Honda Generators (2000 models) on the tongues of their trailers ... two 17' Casitas and one 13' Scamp and NO ONE HAS DIED while running the generator. All three built tongue boxes to secure their generators from theft and run the generators in the boxes.

IF you want to see how it was done, let me know. I can give you the URLs. EVERYTHING else is speculation...
Old 02-25-2014, 03:16 AM   #55

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Like anything else, common sense reigns. There's no reason they can't be used safely.

I've ran mine non-stop for ten days. I was smart enough to put detectors under the windows, and seal the windows, though.

The two families that put them in their homes so they didn't get stolen weren't as lucky. The generators weren't stolen, though.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:44 AM   #56

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Sorry Donna, I, respectfully, can't agree with what appears to be your supportive logic... three wrongs don't make a right.

That example is the same logic as saying that if 10,000 peeps used their cellphones while driving without an accident that it's safe to do so.

Again, Honda sez: Don't run within 50 feet of an occupied building and don't run inside an enclosure. And I ask, "What would they know about their own products".

Peeps can, and will, do whatever they want. But in doing so they don't have the right
to endanger others, including their children, spouses, pets and others, especially by posting suggestions that can lead to illness and/or death without a modicum of authority.

It all goes back to what we learned in kindergarten:

"If Johnny jumped off the bridge would you jump off the bridge?"
who's corollary sez
"If Johnny installed a generator in a box on his trailer against the recommendations of the manufacturer, would you do likewise."
Especially if you don't know anything about Johnny?????

Tags
generator