Generator exhaust concern on trailer tongue. - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #61

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
With no air, the generator will stop running. Problem solved!

Charlie Y
I'm sure a box would not be air tight to prevent the engine from running. My question is would air circulation be so limited as to cause the "air cooled" engine to overheat. Just throwing that idea out, I know the answer.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #62

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
Directly from Honda's web site

The following is copied directly from Honda's Web Site:

Generator SafetyCustomer safety is very important to Honda, so we want to point out hazards of improper generator operation. Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, electrocution, and fire are hazards that can be avoided by following instructions in the owner’s manual and on the generator safety labels.
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A generator’s exhaust contains toxic carbon monoxide, which you cannot see or smell. Breathing carbon monoxide can KILL YOU IN MINUTES. To avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, follow these instructions when operating a generator:

Only run a generator OUTSIDE, far away from windows, doors, and vents.

Never operate a generator inside a house, garage, basement, crawl space, or any enclosed or partially enclosed space.

Never operate a generator near open doors or windows.

Get fresh air and seek medical attention immediately if you suspect you have inhaled carbon monoxide.
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure include headache, fatigue, shortness of breath, nausea, and dizziness. Continued exposure to carbon monoxide can cause loss of muscular coordination, loss of consciousness, and then death.

The above red highlighting is mine. I'm sorry but I can not find anywhere it says to move the generator 50 feet away from the trailer. It clearly says far away from windows, doors, and vents.

Now, far is a rather subjective term. How far is far, How high is up, etc? Maybe you can see what I mean.

For all the opponents of tongue mounted generators, let's see a show of hands for all those that own the obligatory 50 foot heavy duty extension cord. (I do own one, never used it.) And pray tell how do you place your generator 50 feet away from you without placing it 50 feet closer to the folks next to you. Now that's a real good neighbor.

Actually, I have no opinion on how everybody else should handle this situation. I would state that I think that each individual should take all the great aforementioned information into consideration and make up their own mind.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #63
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Steve, I agree with your point of view.

Barbecue grills also emit CO, but most people use them less than 50 ft from windows and doors.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 AM   #64

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, that general statement about Honda generators does not mention a specific distance but..... "FAR AWAY FROM" can never be construed as being the same as "ATTACHED TO"

The Owners manual for the Honda 2000, page 2, under "A Few Words About Safety" does say, in part;
--------------------------------------------------------------
"You will find important safety information in a variety of forms, including;

Safety Labels - On the generator

Safety Messages - preceded by a safety alert symbol and one of three words DANGER, WARNING or CAUTION.

DANGER (Means) You WILL be KILLED or SERIOUSLY HURT if you don't follow instructions.

WARNING (Means) You CAN be KILLED or SERIOUSLY HURT if you don't follow instructions.

CAUTION (Means) You CAN be HURT if you don't follow instructions."

(Caps are Honda's)

That said, the Honda 2000 generator that I previously owned, and sold with a Toyota motorhome several years back, had a sticker right on the GENERATOR that said:

DANGER - DO NOT OPERATE WITHIN 50 FEET OF AN OCCUPIED BUILDING
------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that's my source.

But, knowing that may users will ignore instructions, perhaps Honda was overstating the distance in hopes of getting 1/2 that distance, but that's only an uneducated guess....

And Yes, I had a 25', 30 amp extension cord to mate up with my 30', 30 amp shore power cord when I used the generator if the RV was going to be occupied.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #65

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Bob is the safest guy I know. I think he is going to live forever.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:53 AM   #66

Name: chad
Trailer: 1975 Scamp- Super Cozy Ambulatory Mega Party, 1980 Boler B1500 15'
Alaska
Registry
Ha^
I knew starting reading this thread that the nanny safety officers would soon be all over here posting why camping is the single most dangerous thing you can do. Francesca, carol, bob; thanks for letting us know...again.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM   #67

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I will interject here to ask that people do not rant on. No need for huge bold text to try to make a point. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, that is largely what this site is based on, but PLEASE do just make your point, and move on. There is no need for redundancy by restating that which has already been said.

There is nothing to gain by trying to convince others that your point of view is the correct one. There is no obligation by anyone here to convince someone to do the right thing in your opinion (even when totally valid).

Let others read what everyone has to say, then make a judgement call for themselves as to what they believe, or would do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-25-2014, 11:37 AM   #68

Live Forever????

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Bob is the safest guy I know. I think he is going to live forever.
Yep, I am planning on doing just that and, right now, I have outlived over 45% of the other guys in my age cadre.....

This is now necessary because to get a decent Campsite in Yosemite Valley you either have to be: A) Oprah doing a TV shoot, or Make your reservations 30 years in advance...

And a very sad thing, a lot of those that are gone, are so as the result of preventable causes..... I miss them most of all.....

BTW: Bold type in my most recent post was only replicating the bold print in the Honda 2000 manual.....

Old 02-25-2014, 11:55 AM   #69

Alberta
Registry
Bob, I am not going to live forever. I have been known to do things like ride a sport motorcycle, hitch hike between Calgary and Toronto, have children, breath..... I understand that all of these things are dangerous, but I don't regret any of them. I consider life a limited resource, (no matter how safe you are) and I spend it in the most interesting ways possible.

It's too late for the Darwin award, I have already passed on my genes.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #70

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
One of the values in these discussions is that people bring their own experiences, perspectives and knowledge to the questions raised. This allows people to weigh and consider the information to figure out what they are comfortable with as a solution or course of action.

Hard to claim it don't work if people have done it successfully, certainly worth noting concerns you might have with a product or approach for OP or others reading the thread later to consider.

That has happened, but I think the OP posted awhile back a decision to not mount generator. Might change their mind, or might not but I'm pretty sure people that already have strong opinions on the subject are not going to be convinced to change their opinions due to a post here.

We are not making laws or needing to reach a consensus we can all agree to support. Just sharing information and ideas for people to consider. Already done a pretty good job of covering the subject from what I can see.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #71

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSCAMP View Post
Ha^
I knew starting reading this thread that the nanny safety officers would soon be all over here posting why camping is the single most dangerous thing you can do. Francesca, carol, bob; thanks for letting us know...again.

Except to protest Norm's weird dismissal of the O. P.'s very simple and perfectly legitimate question/concern, I have posted only a suggestion that the noise/vibration of a tongue-mounted generator is likely to be a nuisance on the (single-hull) trailer under discussion. Certainly I've said nothing that can support your judgement of me above.

Please do me the courtesy of actually reading my posts before adding my name to your enemies-of-camping list.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #72

Is Camping Dangerous????

Quote:
Ha^
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not at all, but a lot of campers (The Human Kind) can make it that way, both for themselves as well as others.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #73

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think most accidents happen in the home and then within 20 miles of the home, while going to/from or even within camping!!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:29 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think most accidents happen in the home and then within 20 miles of the home, while going to/from or even within camping!!
And, where do people spend most of their time? At or near home.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:56 PM   #75

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
i see a lot of trailers with generators mounted on the tongue. But from what I can tell, most are not run on the tongue but just stored.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #76

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And, where do people spend most of their time? At or near home.
That proves it! Home is dangerous, I think I will go camping for my own safety. Sure boss will understand.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:52 PM   #77

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Ha^
I also suggest you read what I said and didn't say. After that if you believe my posts make me one of the "nanny safety officers" I'm all good with that.

Due to having grown up on an Island with frequent power outages I have used generators for years but I am willing to admit I learned a few new things about the safe or not so safe use of generators from this thread. I am also good with admitting publicly that I wasn't born with the knowledge of such things as some others here apparently were.

As far as believing that camping is the most dangerous thing you can do... well if thats what you wish to take from this thread then have at it. I have no problems with people forming their own opinions based on the information provided - rightly or wrongly.

Don't know why but this kind of reminded me of a humours link to why women outlive men that a friend sent me .

Seems that some people never do read any of the memo's in regards to safe practises.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #78

Alberta
Registry
My brother tells a joke.

"Why do husbands tend to die before their wives? Because they want to."
Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #79

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
My brother tells a joke.

"Why do husbands tend to die before their wives? Because they want to."
You sure its not because the wife kills them!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:34 PM   #80

Michigan
Well I know my wife does not want to kill me.... at least not until she figures out a way that won't void my life insurance. And I finish some work on the camper.

Secret to a long marriage: Always be sure to have two ongoing projects when you finish up a project.
Secret to a happy one: Don't do said projects in the living room (or at least take the tools out afterwards).
Closed Thread

Tags
generator