Generator House? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
All of the generators that I have looked at says not to run in bad weather, rain etc...

I think that some of house would work. Does anybody have any experience with this?

James V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Escape B / 2005 Tacoma 4x4 D Cab
I made a "house" out of 1/2" Baltic Birch ply as more of a prototype than a permanent item. That was over a year ago and it's still working great!!! It folds up flat for storage and the 3 coats of Varathane are holding up remarkably well considering how long it has sat in the rain. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow. It covers a Yamaha 1000w generator.
BC Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
All of the generators that I have looked at says not to run in bad weather, rain etc...

I think that some of house would work. Does anybody have any experience with this?
That's why I made the generator/propane box for the tongue of my Scamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	109_7570.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	28439
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #4

Pictures as promised.

The top is attached with a pair of cranked butt hinges and the sides are attached with piano hinge. I also installed a wooden dowel into the top edge of each side that fits into a corresponding hole in the underside of the top. The hole on the exhaust end of the generator is large enough that even after extended running it only gets warm.
We dry camp often so being able to run the generator 70 or 80 feet into the bush makes camp much quieter for the relatively short times that it is used.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5037.JPG   IMG_5038.JPG  

IMG_5039.JPG   IMG_5041.JPG  

IMG_5040.JPG  
Old 06-02-2010, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Quote:
Pictures as promised.

The top is attached with a pair of cranked butt hinges and the sides are attached with piano hinge. I also installed a wooden dowel into the top edge of each side that fits into a corresponding hole in the underside of the top. The hole on the exhaust end of the generator is large enough that even after extended running it only gets warm.
We dry camp often so being able to run the generator 70 or 80 feet into the bush makes camp much quieter for the relatively short times that it is used.
Paul,

I have a 3000 Yamaha and it says to provide 2 feet clearance around all sides to allow for air circulation. I'm surprised your 1000 doesn't overheat in the narrow box you show. The 'house' I designed is made with 2.5 inch pvc pipe. Two sides are glued but the cross members are not so it can be disassembled. I then use bungee cords and a poly tarp. Clearance is about 2 feet on all sides with one side completely open.

Cheers,

Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Paul,

I have a 3000 Yamaha and it says to provide 2 feet clearance around all sides to allow for air circulation. I'm surprised your 1000 doesn't overheat in the narrow box you show. The 'house' I designed is made with 2.5 inch pvc pipe. Two sides are glued but the cross members are not so it can be disassembled. I then use bungee cords and a poly tarp. Clearance is about 2 feet on all sides with one side completely open.

Cheers,
The 3000 watt generator is substantially larger and produces far more heat than mine. The majority of the heat comes out of the exhaust end and through the large hole in that side. Even on the hottest days the box and generator only get warm.

Tags
generator