Generator Mounted on Back of Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2015, 08:01 AM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Isn't $500 easier to type than 5 Benjamin's?
How about "655.5 Loonies" ? (corrected for current exchange rates)
It's just that in the FGRV trade, most transactions take place in "Ben Franklins". Mentioning real money is soooo tacky. LOL

Old 11-02-2015, 08:30 AM   #16

Name: Bill
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Oklahoma
Registry
I would love to find a source where i could buy a solar system that would provide 2,000 watts of power for $500.00!

If you have ever parked in a National forest among 2 or 3 huge RV's who owners must run their generators night and day...you will understand why generator use is not welcome with many campers!

Bill

Old 11-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
I'm curious as to what kind, if any, interior bracing there is on the inside above the belly band where the bracket mounts to the fiberglass. If it isn't well reinforced, you risk stress cracking and possibly even having it pull away from the trailer shell due to bouncing down the road. Also, the picture doesn't show it very clearly, but are the two lower stand-off brackets secured to the bumper? If it is, I hope it isn't one of those cheap thin walled sewer hose bumpers which will probably collapse. They weren't designed to support any real weight structurally.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #18

Name: Brent
Trailer: Casita
California
My thoughts are the less weight back there the better! It acts like a lever on the frame putting a lot of forces into to play on the frame
Old 11-02-2015, 12:33 PM   #19

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
For those that had a high school general science class you might remember enough to understand this. Weight on the back of a trailer is like weight at the end of a pendulum. The more weight the greater the inertia. No amount of counter balance in the front will overcome the pendulum effect. It still has the effect of wanting to go sideways when going around a corner, this also pushes on the rear of the tow vehicle in the opposite direction. At some point the stresses will cause either the tires of the tow vehicle of the tires of the trailer to loose traction. It's even worse with weight high, not only does it try to push the trailer to side it also tips the trailer thus unloading one tire and overloading the other. All for a dangerous situation.

This reduces with the size and percentage of weight vs trailer weight.

Yes you probably can get away with it if you're careful, but being on the edge is not fun, and it's too easy slip over the edge.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #20

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
I would love to find a source where i could buy a solar system that would provide 2,000 watts of power for $500.00!

If you have ever parked in a National forest among 2 or 3 huge RV's who owners must run their generators night and day...you will understand why generator use is not welcome with many campers!

Bill
I think that the other point is that the O.P. doesn't need the 1000 watt (not 2K) output of the generator unless something like a microwave or an electric coffee pot is a must have.

For $500 you can get a decent solar system that will keep a group 27 battery topped up for most all 13' FGRV needs.

BTW: I am the first one to call in the gendarmes when generator hours are not followed.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: Scamp / 1949 Hudson
Florida
Jim raised the spare tire rack...and welded a frame to hold the generator (2000 watt yamaha). We also carry a battery..a 2 gallon gas can and the propane tank on the tongue...hauled over 11,000 miles with it towed by the '49 Hudson...so far no problem.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM   #22

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandJ View Post
Jim raised the spare tire rack...and welded a frame to hold the generator (2000 watt yamaha). We also carry a battery..a 2 gallon gas can and the propane tank on the tongue...hauled over 11,000 miles with it towed by the '49 Hudson...so far no problem.
If yours is a 16' Scamp it's more tolerant due to the added length. But on a 13', it's just not a good idea. But I can guess that you don't tow at 70 MPH either.... LOL
Old 11-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #23

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
655.5 loonies? With my sub par American education, I can't even figure out how many toonies that is? Basically 500 benjamins is one hell of a lot of maple bars at Tim Hortons is all i know. It is not like the Canucks don't have a whole whack of country specific lingo themselves eh?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #24

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
That wasn't the point.
'$1' is fewer keystrokes and more to the point than 'one loonie'.
Had nothing to do with American lingo. Had to do with clarity.
I don't drink Tim's coffee and I don't watch hockey. Watching the Colts and Panthers, actually.
Don't drink Bud either.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:45 PM   #25

Northern California
I was just joking Glenn. Good choice on not drinking Bud. Why would you with all the good, tasty and hoppy malt beverages out there today, including many up north such as Alexander Keith's. However, I would much rather watch a puck fly across the ice than watch a game of foosball. One of the things I enjoyed the most while living up there in BC for about 4 years was the local hockey games with nearly the whole town sitting at the rink. People throwing live chickens and fish on the ice, what a hoot? Where are you at up there?
Old 11-02-2015, 08:58 PM   #26

British Columbia
North Vancouver.

Favourite graffiti was in a washroom near GM Place ( name at the time ). It said, "Go Canucks Go, and take the f#%&@#$ Grizzlies with you".

Grizzlies were a brief NBA team and like Canucks, a bunch of jerks if you dealt with them in person.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 PM   #27

Northern California
That is great tag. I love it. I lived in North Vancouver for a winter, sort of off Capilano over near Murdo Frazer and Edgemont. One summer I worked as a park ranger over on the Sunshine coast as well, but mostly I was in the Koots.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #28

British Columbia
Pemberton Heights. Under the Capilano Cloud.
I want to go somewhere warm and dry. Have to save up for travel medical insurance.

Tags
generator, scamp