Generators - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #15

Name: Benita
Trailer: Fiber Stream 16 ft 1982
Georgia
Send a message via Yahoo to Benita
OK, I called the McCulloch Service Center - again. They knows nothing about nothing and suggest you call the factory in Taiwan. They don't happen to have a number for them however.

This is all the info I've been able to find on the McCulloch 2000W TC generator.
McCulloch 2000TC specs

This is what I found for the Kipor-Campingmate 2000TC generator.
Kipor-Campingmate 2000TC Specs

This is what I came up with on the Kipor-Sinemaster 2000TI generator.
Sinemaster 2000TI specs

I'm still not sure if they are the same product or not.

Old 11-16-2005, 01:42 PM   #16

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Dumbleton@Nov 16 2005, 12:29 AM
... If they made one for John Deere, it would likely be in John Deere green ...
... and it would cost more, and the dealer would only be open when I'm at the office, and they wouldn't be in stock at Home Depot, and it would fail at one week old when a cheap electronic component failed... but I'm not bitter about my John Deere lawn tractor at all!

Seriously, since I've never heard of a Kipor dealer and McCulloch doesn't seem to be the manufacturer or know anything about them, I might be a little concerned about support. If I were buying this type of unit and could get an equivalent Honda for a tolerable price premium, I would likely go with the guys with the extensive dealer network and proven history. For hundreds of dollars, I guess I'd take my chances. But that's just me.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 05:46 PM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
The second link Benita posted IS a dealer. extreme Gadget in San Diego. This is where I got mine from.

They do full service on these.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Presuming the Tc model works the way I think it does, just about any small engine repair shop is going to be able to service and repair it -- The Ti model might need to be taken to a shop that works on Honda/Yamaha/Mitsubishi inverter models.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #19

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
I guess my service concern would not be with finding someone who can work on a small engine (there are lots of those) but finding someone to handle warranty work, and to stock the parts which are specific to that brand. Maybe there is a local dealer (another city isn't great; another country is nearly useless for this purpose) - it's just a concern which I would need to check out.

For illustration, the failed part on my John Deere tractor was a simple ignition coil. I bought the tractor from Home Depot, but they do not carry repair parts or handle warranty claims for JD equipment. Any small engine shop would have a suitable coil, but of course I would have to buy it. Only the one authorized JD dealer could provide the part, and even then it was easier for me to install it than to haul the tractor to that dealer one Saturday, then go back the next Saturday to pick it up (since the 10-minute repair would be done only on a weekday). I can easily see going through this painful process with a generator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 04:06 AM   #20

Georgia
I spoke with a dealer. Yes, there are Kipor dealers in the US. The McCulloch generator TC generator and the Campingmate TC generator are the same product.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:07 AM   #21

Trailer: Burro
Registry
Ti Tc what is the better have no idea what the difference is can some one out the Help?
Old 11-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #22

Georgia
The Campingmate TC does not have a digital inverter. That means its not optimal for an AC or higher end electronics. It probably won't run an AC.

The Sinmeaster TI model is electronically superior and pricier. It will run the higher end electronics with cleaner energy than the TC. So, you can have AC and the risk of damaging your laptop or photo printer or whatever is lowered.

What most were hoping was that the McCulloch version of the Kipor generator was the TI which would be a significant savings of about $300-$400 dollars over all the other digital inverter generators on the market.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:18 AM   #23

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
The Kipor specs are unclear, but a non-inverter based generator requires maintenance of certain rpm ranges to ensure proper output frequency (likely hence the digital moniker on the Tc model), whereas the inverter model is just taking a DC input and converting it to the proper frequency, likely hence the eco-throttle where the generator can run at much lower rpm for small loads but still put out the appropriate frequency.

I am SWAGing all the above, but likely the Ti will run more quietly and use less fuel than the Tc model because it will be running at lower rpm -- That's about all I can guess about this.

If all you want is a small, relatively quiet generator, keep an eye on places like Lowes Lumber where they occasionally have good deals on returned/refurbished Mitsubishis with someone else's colors and name on them (Troybuilt).
Old 11-21-2005, 09:09 PM   #24

Name: Lanny
Trailer: 77 Trillium 13 ft
Texas
Any time Honda is an option, go with it. I have an old 650 watt Honda that I purchaed used about nine years ago. It had been well (ab)used by construction workers. I replaced the plug and air filter back then. It is so worn that you can smell the oil consumption from the exhaust. Bottom line, it never fails to start and has had no other maintanence since I bought it.