Georgia reno of 2001 Scamp - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #41

Name: Susan A
Trailer: 2001 16' Scamp
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by volunteergal63 View Post
PICTURES!!!!

Rotten floor under sink

Attachment 58721

Attachment 58722
The RV repair shop says they would have to pull all the cabinets on that side to repair the bottom of the sink cabinet. He says that piece of wood run the full length of all the cabinets. He is quoting $2400 for this job. Would it be possible just to cut it and add a support to attach the new cabinet bottom to? Any ideas welcome
volunteergal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #42

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Way too much for the floor repair. From the pictures it hard to tell but you may be able to fix it with Git-Rot if its not too big an area. Do you have pictures of the bottom of the area. Is it rotted under both cabinets? You don't always have to replace the whole board you can cut out bad areas and put in good wood. Just depends on the extent of the rot.
Eddie
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...eyword=get_rot
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:19 AM   #43

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
The bowl/cup type drain w/hose versus a std p-trap? My Casita has no holding tank. Is sewer gas going to be a problem if I use the bowl/cup? I will have a garden hose from the termination cap to the campground sewer.
About those rivets w/acorn nuts! No wonder I could not figure out how you could have a threaded rivet. Thanks!
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #44

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
Susan
on my Scamp I had spongy floor back by water tank drain, by the time I had screwdrivered all the softness out i had a probably 8 x 12 in area. I squared up the cuts with dremel and jigsaw. fitted in piece of plyboard (think like a jigsaw puzzle). I used a short strand fiberglass mix to tack it in place on top, let that dry then went on bottom and laid that stuff on whole board and surrounding area. I finished with regular fiberglass mat and resin on top, but you could just smooth out the short strand stuff on board and surrounding area on top also.
Scamps have no bottom to their cabinets, they are open, on mine the front screws kept coming out on the bottom (screwing into side of osb just doesnt hold or plywood for that matter) I used some 1 1/2 in aluminum angle, screwed to floor then cabinets screwed to that
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:54 AM   #45

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Hambones method for replacing a small section of flooring sounds great..... BUT if you are really intimidated by the thought of doing it that way and are not very handy, just cut out that area and patch with a piece of wood from above or below just screwed on with stainless steel screws.
OR you may get lucky and find that only the top layer of the wood is rotten. If so, just dig up the soft stuff, let the good dry underneath for 24-48 hours with fan blowing directly on it, then pour some type of "rotten wood stabilizer" on it.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #46

Georgia
Thumbs up Update on 2001 Scamp reno

Okay, everything is fixed. Loose, rusted or leaking rivets replaced. Replaced all the ones in shower with SS. New curtains, new cushions, painted cabinet doors,new hinges and knobs, new flooring, WHEWWW!
It's exterior is being cleaned, buffed and resealed today ans tomorrow.
I will post pictures tomorrow.
Love it!! I will be taking it on first trip this weekend.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #47

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Way too much for the floor repair. From the pictures it hard to tell but you may be able to fix it with Git-Rot if its not too big an area. Do you have pictures of the bottom of the area. Is it rotted under both cabinets? You don't always have to replace the whole board you can cut out bad areas and put in good wood. Just depends on the extent of the rot.
Eddie
BoatLIFE GIT-Rot
Used Git-Rot to fix floor. Worked great. Painted it.

Tags
scamp