gettin towed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Name: leo J.
Trailer: 2013 SCAMP 19
Maine
gettin towed

Just read on another post where a guy broke down on I-10 in Fl. with a scamp 19. Sounds like he was able to get it all off the road and to a dealer. My understanding is that if your tow vehicle breaks down with a scamp 19 in tow, a tow company will or (should be able) to take tow vehicle and Scamp 19 trailer together. Has any one with a Scamp 19 ever had to be towed and how did it all work out? Thanks Leo
leo j. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:24 AM   #2

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Great question. Thankfully we have never broke down (knock on wood) but I do know we have the trailer on our AAA+ card, that includes towing, and I am sure they will handle it though their system.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
Great question. Thankfully we have never broke down (knock on wood) but I do know we have the trailer on our AAA+ card, that includes towing, and I am sure they will handle it though their system.
Just got our AAA Premier plus RV renewal. The RV option previously was around $20 extra. It is now about $140 extra. They figured out, probably from experience, if the RV is a big motor home or 5th wheel camper, that it would require a larger wrecker for recovery or towing which translates to more money. It is possible for a single wrecker to tow both units together, trailer and car, if conditions are right, otherwise it may take two. We are going to drop the RV coverage on our AAA package. For a couple years when we did a lot of traveling we also had Good Sam Roadside, but didn't renew it because we no longer go south for the winter.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:38 AM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
There are not many of us here with the Scamp 5th wheel and I have not heard of one that had to be towed. Since it is not straightforward, some consider it a theft deterrent!

A good tow truck driver should be able to connect to the coupling somehow and tow it. Those who are worth their salt do have a lot of good parts in their tool box.

How about doing it this way? It may only work well with a front wheel drive, though.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote