Getting rid of mildewy smell.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
South Carolina
Registry
Getting rid of mildewy smell....

I pulled the Casita to the house, and unfortunately, discovered a leak in my rear left window. The Casita was not covered and took on some water. It appears that it came in at the base of the window, dripped down the wall, got the cushions wet, and then dripped down in the pan above the water tank.

Fortunately I figured out where the leak is coming from and will have that addressed. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to get the mildewy smell off the carpeted wall and the cushion. The cushion is the bigger problem.

I know I've seen something on this somewhere in this site, but no luck searching.

Can anyone give me quick advice on best way to resolve this? Maybe spray Odo-ban on the carpet and vacuum? What about the cushions? I think I read somewhere that the entire cushion/cover can be submerged in soapy water....then put out in the sun to dry? Am I remembering that right?

I'll have my window fixed this Friday....I'm doing a lot of travelling with work and am hoping to have everything in good shape for a camping trip with my wife and daughter in late July....

thanks in advance for the help...

-tom
GerthT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
When I got my trailer it was very musty so I vacuumed everything and used a vinegar/clove oil/water spray I made myself. I wiped everything off with a dampened cloth and left everything in the sun for a while. Some of the commercial cleaners leave more odor than they remove but both vinegar and clove oil are mold inhibitors.
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Go to the following site and do some research on this stuff. The reviews from several sites point to a product that works. It is somewhat expensive.
I put a 4oz container in our camper and the smell was gone in 1 day. The instructions state that leaving it work it will kill mold spores, etc.

Amazon.com: 8 OZ. KANBERRA GEL: Home & Kitchen
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I'd pull the upholstery of the cushion(s) and wash them. Wash the upholstery separate. This is your sleeping area and I wouldn't want to be breathing in possible mold spores. Just because you can't see them on the surface doesn't mean they don't exist deep in the foam.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM   #5

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Go to the following site and do some research on this stuff. The reviews from several sites point to a product that works. It is somewhat expensive.
I put a 4oz container in our camper and the smell was gone in 1 day. The instructions state that leaving it work it will kill mold spores, etc.

Amazon.com: 8 OZ. KANBERRA GEL: Home & Kitchen
As long as you don't travel with a cat you will be fine and some cats can probably tolerate Tea Tree Oil but it can kill others, so even though it is natural it can still be hazardous to a cats health. Tea Tree Oil is amazing stuff.
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
This was taken straight from the www.kanberragell.com web site.

So maybe now you're a TTO expert...you know it works without harming humans or animals. What you may not know is that America’s knowledge of the remarkable properties of TTO dates back to World War II, when our Australian and New Zealand brothers in arms shared this product with their American allies.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote