Getting rid of the fluorescent strip lights... - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #1

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I probably won't get to this until summer, but I'd like to replace the two fluorescent strip lights (about 18 inches long, mounted vertically) in my trailer with something non-fluorescent. (I know, wrong way to go, but I have two dogs that have seizures and as Merlin has had three in the trailer I'm not sure the lights aren't triggering his, and besides they are hard to turn on.)

So, any ideas? I would like something bright enough to read by. I only run them off 110 (these two fixtures are wired in and are 110V.) Low profile like a fluorescent light would be good. The picture below shows the left-side light (this is Don's Campster but my light is about the same and in the same position and mine has one on the right side as well.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Don__s_inside.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	11832

Old 03-03-2008, 01:45 AM   #2

Name: George
Trailer: Waiting for the Sprinter van and designing the converion modules.
Oregon
Your fluorescent lights very likely have 60Hz frequency pulsing which is annoying for some folks and perhaps for dogs as well. Most folks can see ordinary fluorescent light flickering with peripheral vision. One option for you is CCFL technology (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Lamp) which operates at higher frequency. CCFL lights are used to back illuminate LCD displays. You can buy CCFL finished product such as Taylor Lamps from West Marine or just a raw kits (bulbs and 12VDC >a few hundreds VAC invertor). I think that Home Depot has 110 VAC CCFL bulbs as well. Another option for you is LED light gaining popularity faster than old CCFL technology. Traffic lights, Semi trucks tail lights, automotive taillights and even automotive headlights are beginning to use LED. They are also replacing CCFL for LCD displays. I think CCFL lights have the highest efficiency.

Search this forum for CCFL and LED to find a lot of very useful information.

George.

Old 03-03-2008, 10:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
How about these LEDs. Surface or flush mounted (as mine are) 110V powered, create NO heat and draw next to no power???
Attached Thumbnails
Lights_on_with_flash.jpg  
Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
Quote:
How about these LEDs. Surface or flush mounted (as mine are) 110V powered, create NO heat and draw next to no power???
I need a fixture; I don't want to do extensive wiring. And are they bright enough? I have yet to see LED lights that were bright enough for reading other than spotlight type?

How many LED's each do those have?

Bobbie
Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #5

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
There are lots of light fixtures that would work. You might want to go to someplace that has a good selection of light fixtures. Look for a sconce fixture, one that the shade made of something other than glass. The wiring won't have to be changed, but a couple holes might have to be drilled to mount the new fixture. Many will take a 100 Watt bulb, however, I suggest that you try a 40 Watt first, and no bigger than a 60 Watt. They'll generate lots of heat. To reduce the heat you could try one of these LED replacements.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 94 Casita 16 ft
Honestly, just looking at the location, and the requirements, I'd choose an outdoor 'Coach' style porch light. They'd look alright, are available in a huge variety of styles to suit your taste, and are designed for 110 application.

Oh, and they can also be had very cheap. I'd likely look for a base that would accept a mason jar for a globe just for the conversation factor.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:11 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Bobbie, I 'sank' mine over the food preperation area mainly because thats where we do most of our 'stuff', they can be seperated and located anywhere you'd need them and if one 'pod' doesn't throw the needed lumins, you can always add one or two more to the frey!!!

Tags
lighting, lights