Getting to know my Scamp 16 "Gem" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #1

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
Post Getting to know my Scamp 16 "Gem"

Howdy, you all have been so great helping me out with information... I am getting to know the systems in my 2007 Scamp 16, dubbed "Gem" since she is one... and I am a rock hound!

Anyway... wondering whether:
1) you know if the front water pump near main fresh water tank runs the toilet or does the shower pump?
2) if my lines are all dry do I still need anti-freeze when winterizing?
3) Has anyone moved the shower pump to be positioned on the side of the shower pan where it is protected? not sure why Scamp positioned it hanging down like that... also, considering, if it can't be moved and work properly, having a skid plate fabricated to protect it... I like this idea because I can also insulate it.
4) I used foam tubing insulation and Styrofoam to insulate inside Gem's water tank cabinet and all the lines under the sink ... that I can get to.... anyone done this? Still have some for the shower to do yet.

I am taking my maiden voyage at Christmas and a bit concerned with all the cold wx we've been having... at freezing or just below at night. Following my owners manual for winterizing I have not found all my answers.

Thanks for your time!
Teal
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
We're heading out around New Years and travelling south. For more than a few days, we will leisurely wander in what one would expect to be freezing and well below freezing temperature. We simply do not use the interior water system in weather conditions such as this. The Scamp isn't really designed or built to be a 4 season camper. I've heard that an Escape, built in BC, Canada is such an RV, but our Scamps are not. It's not a burden. We enjoy the Scamp's furnace, but we're not expecting the water system to be trustworthy in sub-freezing temps. The risk of damage is too great. Hope that helps a little bit.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
For Teal Post #1
1. The main pump supplies the toilet. The shower pump is for the drain, (see #3 & #4 below)

2. If you blow your lines out with compressed air and drain both the water tank and the water heater you should be OK.

3. That gray water pump has been hanging down there for years on other Scamps, suggesting that it is not self priming and needs a gravity feed or a constant flow to operate satisfactorily. Maybe others have found a way to move it.

4. If we are using the trailer we don't worry about "Freezing or Just below" We just camped at Yosemite for three nights, all below 20 degrees, without problems.
Disclaimer: On very cold nights we use a small "Black Cat" heater and open the doors to the utility areas. At night, if you fire up the water heater for one cycle (about 15 minutes) it will keep that area safe all night, at last that's what we do/did.

The line and pump under the shower would be my biggest concern, but pouring a cup of RV Antifreeze down that drain and running the pump for a few seconds should the trick.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
For Teal Post #1...
2. If you blow your lines out with compressed air and drain both the water tank and the water heater you should be OK....
"SHOULD" being the operative word here.
My concern would be the pumps and the sediment traps. I don't think compressed air is all that effective at getting water out of those vulnerable areas. IMHO, if there is danger of damage from freezing temps, two gallons of RV antifreeze is the best insurance. It is a time tested method and the one recommended by the manufacturer. Blowing out the lines is not mentioned by the manufacturer.

The lines are plastic (PEX now days) so more forgiving of a little freezing. Fittings not as much.

There are many posts on this topic elsewhere on this forum also.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp