Glowing Convertor - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Registry
Glowing Convertor

I just bought a beautiful 1984 CT-13 Uhaul and it needs just a little TLC. It came with no battery and has a solar panel on top to charge the battery. So I thought it would be neat to buy one and install it. The lights on the inside all work when plugged into AC and I can hear the convertor turn on when I plug it into AC power. My problem is that when I hooked up the 12V Deep Cycle battery it sparked at the terminals and blew the 20A fuse immediately at the convertor. I've seen that happen before so I put another 20A fuse from another connection of the convertor and continued to hook it up. I then saw a part inside the convertor glow red brighter and brighter and then spark. It did not blow the fuse as this one must have been more heavy duty. I did pull it out immediately and I dont know if I ruined something or not but was afraid to hook it up again. The AC still works and lights everything up but I dont know what I did wrong?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a direction to point me in?
I have a feeling Im in for a replacement and maybe a rewire...?

Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
I just bought a beautiful 1984 CT-13 Uhaul and it needs just a little TLC. It came with no battery and has a solar panel on top to charge the battery. So I thought it would be neat to buy one and install it. The lights on the inside all work when plugged into AC and I can hear the convertor turn on when I plug it into AC power. My problem is that when I hooked up the 12V Deep Cycle battery it sparked at the terminals and blew the 20A fuse immediately at the convertor. I've seen that happen before so I put another 20A fuse from another connection of the convertor and continued to hook it up. I then saw a part inside the convertor glow red brighter and brighter and then spark. It did not blow the fuse as this one must have been more heavy duty. I did pull it out immediately and I dont know if I ruined something or not but was afraid to hook it up again. The AC still works and lights everything up but I dont know what I did wrong?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a direction to point me in?
I have a feeling Im in for a replacement and maybe a rewire...?
Are you certain that you have the polarity on your battery correct?
Also, check the battery voltage while disconnected and maybe have it load tested.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Are you certain that you have the polarity on your battery correct?
Also, check the battery voltage while disconnected and maybe have it load tested.
I also thought polarity might have been a problem. But I double checked it and the polarity was hooked up properly.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #4

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hi Mike, Is the converter a systems monitor model. Also did you buy a used battery or Brand new
Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #5

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I'd check and make sure the ground is good to the frame,sounds like a dead short.
Dan
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #6

Wisconsin
Registry
I dont know if it is a systems monitor model. I do think it is original in its little metal box. And yes the battery is brand new today. I never checked the ground. Im not an 'electric' guy. I'll have to find out where it is grounded. I figured it would be grounded considering the system runs through the same box on AC.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Are you sure you have polarity right? On my Scamp, black is positive.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Are you sure you have polarity right? On my Scamp, black is positive.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan, thanks for making me question and double check the polarity. I did have it exactly backward. The wire color is what threw me off. I have a yellow and a white wire and there is no + or - sign anywhere after you take the lid off the battery compartment and I obviously figured that yellow was + and white was -. (Because home wiring is white and black and usually the white wire is the neutral.)

Anyway, after reading your post I ran out to the relic (camper) and looked for the polarity signs, which are on the battery cover and no where inside the battery compartment. It was laying along side me on the bench, AND THEN, hooked it up PROPERLY and instantly a light went on in the trailer. Everything works! Hurray!! I will be marking a + and a - right next to the wires INSIDE THE BATTERY BOX so this never happens again!

Thank you everyone for making me scratch my head a little harder. I and my wife are very thankful for this forum and, of course, your caring help.

Until we talk again,

Chow
Old 08-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #9

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What got hot and sparked in the converter?
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #10

Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
What got hot and sparked in the converter?
I don't know what the part is. It is located near the top of the box. Its cylindrical and about 2 1/2"-3" in length. It could be a capacitor. It has one wire leading to it. And I can't see the other end of it but thinking it must have another wire leading to that end. The next obvious question is what is recommended to replace this box if and WHEN it fails? No doubt it is damaged to a degree now and it's only a matter of time....

If I'm replacing in the near future I want something that is heavy duty and will handle a load. Never know what a guy might want to install in the future and not be limited.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #11

A box with reverse polarity protection is a must. I personally would not connect my battery to this unit because you do not know what it is doing. To be safe, I would disconnect the battery and stop using it. It may be less expensive to replace it than having it fixed. Check the sites below for converters.

Decals and Pin Striping, Rv hatch doors and vents items in Tri State Surplus store on eBay!

Dometic RV Refrigerator Parts, Onan Miscellaneous items in Any RV Parts store on eBay!
Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #12

My Bad, Double Post