Glowing Convertor - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
Member
 
Mike T's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Posts: 38
Registry
Glowing Convertor

I just bought a beautiful 1984 CT-13 Uhaul and it needs just a little TLC. It came with no battery and has a solar panel on top to charge the battery. So I thought it would be neat to buy one and install it. The lights on the inside all work when plugged into AC and I can hear the convertor turn on when I plug it into AC power. My problem is that when I hooked up the 12V Deep Cycle battery it sparked at the terminals and blew the 20A fuse immediately at the convertor. I've seen that happen before so I put another 20A fuse from another connection of the convertor and continued to hook it up. I then saw a part inside the convertor glow red brighter and brighter and then spark. It did not blow the fuse as this one must have been more heavy duty. I did pull it out immediately and I dont know if I ruined something or not but was afraid to hook it up again. The AC still works and lights everything up but I dont know what I did wrong?

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a direction to point me in?
I have a feeling Im in for a replacement and maybe a rewire...?
__________________

__________________
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,055
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
I just bought a beautiful 1984 CT-13 Uhaul and it needs just a little TLC. It came with no battery and has a solar panel on top to charge the battery. So I thought it would be neat to buy one and install it. The lights on the inside all work when plugged into AC and I can hear the convertor turn on when I plug it into AC power. My problem is that when I hooked up the 12V Deep Cycle battery it sparked at the terminals and blew the 20A fuse immediately at the convertor. I've seen that happen before so I put another 20A fuse from another connection of the convertor and continued to hook it up. I then saw a part inside the convertor glow red brighter and brighter and then spark. It did not blow the fuse as this one must have been more heavy duty. I did pull it out immediately and I dont know if I ruined something or not but was afraid to hook it up again. The AC still works and lights everything up but I dont know what I did wrong?


Does anyone have any suggestions? Or a direction to point me in?
I have a feeling Im in for a replacement and maybe a rewire...?
Are you certain that you have the polarity on your battery correct?
Also, check the battery voltage while disconnected and maybe have it load tested.
__________________

__________________
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
Member
 
Mike T's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Posts: 38
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Are you certain that you have the polarity on your battery correct?
Also, check the battery voltage while disconnected and maybe have it load tested.
I also thought polarity might have been a problem. But I double checked it and the polarity was hooked up properly.
__________________
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Ken
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Posts: 229
Hi Mike, Is the converter a systems monitor model. Also did you buy a used battery or Brand new
__________________
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Posts: 541
Registry
I'd check and make sure the ground is good to the frame,sounds like a dead short.
Dan
__________________
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
Member
 
Mike T's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Posts: 38
Registry
I dont know if it is a systems monitor model. I do think it is original in its little metal box. And yes the battery is brand new today. I never checked the ground. Im not an 'electric' guy. I'll have to find out where it is grounded. I figured it would be grounded considering the system runs through the same box on AC.
__________________
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:00 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Dan Meyer's Avatar
 
Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Posts: 559
Are you sure you have polarity right? On my Scamp, black is positive.

-- Dan Meyer
__________________
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #8
Member
 
Mike T's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Posts: 38
Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
Are you sure you have polarity right? On my Scamp, black is positive.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan, thanks for making me question and double check the polarity. I did have it exactly backward. The wire color is what threw me off. I have a yellow and a white wire and there is no + or - sign anywhere after you take the lid off the battery compartment and I obviously figured that yellow was + and white was -. (Because home wiring is white and black and usually the white wire is the neutral.)

Anyway, after reading your post I ran out to the relic (camper) and looked for the polarity signs, which are on the battery cover and no where inside the battery compartment. It was laying along side me on the bench, AND THEN, hooked it up PROPERLY and instantly a light went on in the trailer. Everything works! Hurray!! I will be marking a + and a - right next to the wires INSIDE THE BATTERY BOX so this never happens again!

Thank you everyone for making me scratch my head a little harder. I and my wife are very thankful for this forum and, of course, your caring help.

Until we talk again,

Chow
__________________
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:20 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,030
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What got hot and sparked in the converter?
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
Member
 
Mike T's Avatar
 
Name: Mike
Trailer: Newby CT-13, 84' U-Haul Owner
Wisconsin
Posts: 38
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
What got hot and sparked in the converter?
I don't know what the part is. It is located near the top of the box. Its cylindrical and about 2 1/2"-3" in length. It could be a capacitor. It has one wire leading to it. And I can't see the other end of it but thinking it must have another wire leading to that end. The next obvious question is what is recommended to replace this box if and WHEN it fails? No doubt it is damaged to a degree now and it's only a matter of time....

If I'm replacing in the near future I want something that is heavy duty and will handle a load. Never know what a guy might want to install in the future and not be limited.
__________________
Mike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,030
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
A box with reverse polarity protection is a must. I personally would not connect my battery to this unit because you do not know what it is doing. To be safe, I would disconnect the battery and stop using it. It may be less expensive to replace it than having it fixed. Check the sites below for converters.

Decals and Pin Striping, Rv hatch doors and vents items in Tri State Surplus store on eBay!

Dometic RV Refrigerator Parts, Onan Miscellaneous items in Any RV Parts store on eBay!
__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Posts: 3,030
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
My Bad, Double Post
__________________

__________________
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrading Convertor to Convertor/Smart Charger Booker B. Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 13 05-20-2008 08:17 PM
Keep the campfire glowing. General Chat 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.