Glue, Adhesive ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2014, 06:12 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Glue, Adhesive ???

I have read all the posts about glue and adhesive and I am still uncertain as to what I should use.

I bought some netting I want to install inside my overhead cabinet doors to keep items from falling out. My doors open upwards and occasionally items fall out during travel.

Here is the netting. 4"x12" Cubby Cover Net [OBR412BSHCZCCC] - Organized Obie

So I don't want to drill holes. I decided to put small blocks of wood inside the cabinet doors and attach the netting.

So...I will be attaching wood to the back side of fiberglass (rough surface) and I see a lot of discussion about that. But there will be quite a bit of tension pulling on the wood blocks as the netting stretches and I want something that will stay put with that tension.

Which of the glue/adhesives that I have read about would be best in this instance?

Thanks for any advice!
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 19
Arizona
I would use 3M 5200. It seem to stick to most all clean surfaces. I do know it will stick to the wood as well as the fiberglass and because it is pretty thick will fill the dips in the glass so you have adhesive bonding the whole wood surface to the glass. I wouldn't put anything on the wood block for a couple of days, to let everything dry and set. If you use clamps on the block to hold them in place, don't tighten then to much as you want a good amount of 5200 behind the block,
captsteve2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
3M 5200 works well, but use it only on things you will never, never, never ever want to maybe take apart someday down the road. It will literally rip the base materials apart before it releases its grip. If you want a good semi-permanent bonding adhesive, I would suggest using 3M 4200, instead of 5200. In either case you would benefit greatly from being able to clamp the pieces to be joined together, since neither of these are "contact adhesives" and the pieces will drift apart or sag until the bonding has cured sufficiently. Freshly applied, it lacks strength to keep the pieces together until dried.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Hi Gayle,

Please let us know what you decide to use, and how it works out for you. I am interested because I thought of doing something similar in the street-side closet: small wood blocks to support custom-cut shelves. I currently use stacking baskets in that closet to store my clothes, toiletries, etc., but with the rounded sides of the Eggcamper, I lose storage space where the baskets cannot go right up against the wall.

Hope you enjoyed your Florida camping trips this year.....wish I could get that far North! Some day....!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:03 PM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Thanks guys for the advice!

Letitia, I will let you know how it goes. I know that many EggCamper owners do want shelves in the big closet. I personally like the hanging closet. I prefer to hang all my clothes on non-slip hangers. I also like to have the space to put tall things...my dirty laundry holder, my broom, exterior wash brush, stick vacuum, etc.

I have a hanging shoe/lingerie? holder that hangs on the rod to store socks, undies, hair things, etc, etc.

The link below is not like the one I have but it shows the concept.
Amazon.com - Household Essentials Jewelry and Stocking Set Hanging Organizer, Coffee Linen - Closet Hanging Jewelry Organizers
Ms. Gayle 2012-IA,MO,NE,WY,MT,UT,NM,AZ,TX/2013-AR,LA,AL, FL,GA,SC,NC,TN,KY,KS,CO/2014-IL,MO,MN,MI,WI IA/2015-SD,IA,MO,OK,TX/2016-AR,MS,FL,MO,IN,VA,NC,TN/2017-KS,CO,UT,AR,MS,FL/2018-IL,IN,SD,MN,Canada,IA, OK,TX,NM/2019-OK,TX,AR,NE,SD/2020-AR
Ms. Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #6

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
5200 would certainly work but you will have to buy at $12 tube for the few daubs you need plus it is miserable to clean up the excess and from your fingers.

You might find a little bottle of gorilla glue (a foaming polyurethane) would have plenty of holding power and is available at any hardware store or big box like Kmart or Walmart.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #7

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
5200 to fiberglass

Wipe surface of fiberglass that you will be applying the glue to with acetone first for a good bond. Then let dry thoroughly. It will dry fast. There is often a small wax residue even on the rough glass. As said previously, clamping is good, but gently.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:53 PM   #8

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Small tubes of 5200

Small tubes of 5200 or other marine adhesives can sometimes be found at marine supply stores for such a small job. Storing left-over adhesive in the refr. will reportedly made it last a little longer. It does not store well once opened.
Wayne Perpall is offline   Reply With Quote