Glue recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Glue recommendations

I am finally getting to the Trillium 4500 that has come back to me after a number of years just sitting around gathering all kinds of stuff.
The plywood retainer block in the front, upper left corner that holds the aluminum track in place for the over the bunk cupboards has let go.
Everything is there, just sagged down a little. I have the insulation off all 'round and am ready to glue.
Is there a recommended brand/type/ that someone has used. I want this to be a permanent fix because I plan on finishing my time with this rig, however long that might be.
AND, what do you recommend for glueing the insulation back in place in all the areas where it has let go. The inside looks like me, all loose, sagging and wrinkled.
Thanks in advance.... Scouter Dave.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:11 AM   #2

Name: Rick
Trailer: Burro
Massachusetts
Hi Dave,

For structural repairs or modifications, use epoxy. Not 5 minute epoxy but the overnight set type. You should roughen up the bonding surfaces a bit with medium sandpaper for a better bond. Then design some way to keep the parts pressed together till it sets. With epoxy you don't need great pressure holding the parts together, just a firm press.

For attaching insulation, use contact cement. Follow directions. Cheap and easy to use.

Rick.
rick.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Take pictures!

How are you going to get the epoxy under the block? Syringe? Cut a hole? I have thought about the hole method, as I would like to add blocks under the Ensolite. I would cut a very small slit, where I plan to put the screws into the block, then separate the Ensolite from the fibreglass, to the dimensions of the back of the block, (I would put a 45° bevel on the block, like Trillium does). Using heat, I would stretch the Ensolite slit till I could fit the block through. Spread the glue and insert the block. When the glue set, use heat again to try to shrink the Ensolite hole and, using contact cement, glue the Ensolite to the block.

I am dying to see what you do.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I would glue the wood blocks up with epoxy. I would dry the wood blocks at 250 degrees first. rough up the surface and spread a layer of epoxy. Let it cure and rough up the trailers fiberglass and the cured epoxy block and put a coat of epoxy on both sides and put it in place to cure. if possible i would take a piece of wood trim and use it as a spring board to hold the block in place.
As for the fabric i would use 3M contact spray rated for use in higher temperatures. i would use 3M headliner spray or super 90. i would not use the more common super 70 as it has poor holding at ceiling temperatures in the sun.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #5

Name: Roseanna
Trailer: scamp
California
I was just wondering has anyone gotten any headaches months after applying the 3M super 70 or 90? I am looking for a glue to but do not one that will leave me with a headache down the line.
scamphappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
urethane

Can urethane caulk/sealants be used to attach wood to fiberglass?
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I bought some 3M 5200 to use on my boler, have not had a chance to use it yet though.
3Mâ„¢ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200
Bonds fiberglass to wood is what caught my attention.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Glue update

I made a list of the recommended adhesives that you guys shared and then I went shopping. I could not find any 3M products in town so I ended up talking to staff at Kent's. After being told that they did not have any 3M available I settled for Elmer's Spray Adhesive [blue & orange can, orange cap] for the ensolite {useless} and LePage PL Premium Ultra for the wooden block {excellent}. The block stayed in place on the first try. Use it sparingly. When it says it expands 2-3 times they are not kidding].
None of the ensolite stay in place although it was under pressure from blocks and three(3) expanding closet rods.
I went shopping again and while exploring the shelves at Kent's I found some 3M Super 77 tucked away on a bottom shelf.
I sprayed, put blocks and boards and closet rods in place and waited 24 hours. Everything is now back in place. I may not have the prettiest rig at Algonac but I will be a happy camper.
And, I found that Scrubbing Bubbles and a stiff nail brush work wonders on the inside and outside. PTYFNA and thanks. Scouter Dave
Old 07-20-2014, 11:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
3M 5200 is really good at bonding stuff together. But do not use it on anything you may ever again wish to take apart, because you will rip base material away from the pieces you are sealing together before it lets go. If you don't ever want to take it apart again, its a great product. If you may want to someday take parts apart I would go with 3M 4200 instead. You may have a problem finding these products at the big box stores, but any Marine or Boating place should have them in stock.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #10

Name: Ben
Trailer: Triple E
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I bought some 3M 5200 to use on my boler, have not had a chance to use it yet though.
Â*Â*3Mâ„¢ Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200
Bonds fiberglass to wood is what caught my attention.
Super 90 has worked well on ensolite for me, but in my experience, it needs to be used liberally because of the porousness of the back side of the ensolite in my Surfside.

I reattached a serious amount of ensolite in my trailer with this product last summer and it's still holding strong.
kellyben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco