gluing closed cell foam to fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #1

Name: Trillium Ryder
Trailer: trillium 1300
Ontario
gluing closed cell foam to fiberglass

We are proud new owners of a 1975 Trillium 1300. Previous owners stripped the ensolite lining from the trailer interior, which led to indoor condensation, we discovered. We just purchased several sheets of closed cell foam to redo the whole interior, and are looking for the right glue to use. Any suggestions?
Also, the foam is lined (smooth) on one side. Is that the side we glue to the wall? Can the more "bubbly" side be painted?
bb
BerniceBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
3M 77 Super Adhesive.

I like this stuff for contact adhesion. Works very well and makes a very strong bond. Not the cheapest stuff, but if you want to do it only once and be done with it...

Amazon.com: 3M 77 Super Multipurpose Adhesive Aerosol, Clear 16.75 Oz. Aerosol Can: Industrial & Scientific
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:07 AM   #3

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
Weldwood Contact Cement - easy, permanent, and the bond is incredibly strong. It will eat certain kinds of foam like Styrofoam, but most everything else is good to go. I just redid a trim piece with contact cement after the Super 77 adhesive I originally used failed.
Scott Masterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Registry
I have used this from Canadian tire. It is rated for headliners so the heat will not be a problem...

Permatex Heavy Duty Spray Adhesive | Canadian Tire
Attached Thumbnails
canvas.png  
colinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
3M 77 Super Adhesive.

I like this stuff for contact adhesion. Works very well and makes a very strong bond. Not the cheapest stuff, but if you want to do it only once and be done with it...

Amazon.com: 3M 77 Super Multipurpose Adhesive Aerosol, Clear 16.75 Oz. Aerosol Can: Industrial & Scientific
You should use 3M Super 90 it has a higher temperature rating than 3M 77
The fiberglass in direct sunlight gets extremely hot. Its a little harder to find though. You can check the ratings on the 3m website.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #6

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Boler shopping
British Columbia
If you can find it use Sta Put , it is superior to all the others listed In my opinion , I've used them all as a cabinet maker and after using Sta Put the others pale in comparison
AngryCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 10:30 PM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Currently shopping
British Columbia
Cell foam covering

Hi there,

Just wondering what you did after you filled the cell foam pieces. I think originally they were vinyl covered and am thinking that the finished cell foam may still look unfinished. Any advise on this?

Thanks!
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 12:37 PM   #8

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The OP hasn’t visited the forum for 6 years.

I agree you want to cover the closed cell foam with something. The old stuff had a textured vinyl top layer. I would personally use a carpet style marine headliner, similar to Scamp’s “rat fur.” It’s durable, easy to clean, deadens sound, and feels nicer to brush against (especially in colder weather). It’s slightly stretchy and easier to install than smooth materials, which tend to wrinkle in the curved corners.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 09:42 PM   #9

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Currently shopping
British Columbia
Awesome thanks so much! I ended up going with a boler with fewer updates needed so I won't have to attempt finishing the cell foam
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote