Going Solar - Have Questions - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #41

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
My SO and I are fulltiming in a Bigfoot 17. The roof has 4 80w tiltable panels. We have never regretted spending the money for the freedom 320 watts gives us. Fulltiming would get old fast were we forced to minimize electricity use much of the time. At the moment we are in the Portland OR area. Skies were cloudy/rainy yesterday and may be so for another couple of days. Two Trojan T145s were at full charge entering the cloudy period and will recover quickly when the sun shines once more. For fulltiming without minimizing I recommend as many watts as our tiny roofs and budgets will allow.

Some people have different "can't live withouts" than others. I'm not a fulltimer, but we do spend about 4 to 5 months out each year. One of the joys of small trailer living is the simplicity. Our power requirements are quite small, no TV, no water pump, etc. Rather than trying to maximum power capabilities reduce power needs, then match power available with needs. Change lighting to things like LEDs. Look for other ways of reducing power needs. One needs to realize that our trailers, RVs, etc. are NOT 2,000ft houses connected to grid and adjust accordingly.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Does anyone have a photos or drawings of a single solar panel stand they made from PVC pipe?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:26 PM   #43

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Does anyone have a photos or drawings of a single solar panel stand they made from PVC pipe?
A while back I voluntarily organized the “Walk Through Time” outdoor display composed of about 75 3’x4’ posters. We built stands from 1¼” Sch. 40 PVC pipe. Based on this poster stand I sketched out a possible stand for the 60W solar panel I used and posted it on the Bigfoot Forum. I think it is similar to the SunForce stand. This design could be a good starting point for you.
George.
Attached Thumbnails
Stand.jpg  
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
I don’t have RV experience with AGM batteries but from my motorcycle experience I don’t like them, their motorcycle life is at best 2 years. I just replace 10 years old batteries on my Ford pickup which is rather good for ordinary lead acid batteries.
George.
Last year I replaced the ordinary lead acid battery in my tractor, it was 13, almost 14 years old and it would still crank over the diesel engine but it was starting to feel weak. In all that time I never added water or even checked the level. We typically get 7 to 8 years out of lead acid batteries in all the cars and trucks. I don't think we have ever had one last less than 4 or 5 years, and we never check the water level. AGM batteries cost about twice as much as regular lead acid batteries so they would need to last at least twice as long to be cost effective, although they can be mounted sideways or upside down if there is a need for something like that.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:24 PM   #45

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
A while back I voluntarily organized the “Walk Through Time” outdoor display composed of about 75 3’x4’ posters. We built stands from 1¼” Sch. 40 PVC pipe. Based on this poster stand I sketched out a possible stand for the 60W solar panel I used and posted it on the Bigfoot Forum. I think it is similar to the SunForce stand. This design could be a good starting point for you.
George.

THANKS George that is what I was looking for!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar