Good News and Bad News - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact Jr
Good news and bad news...

The good news is, we had a wonderful time! Thank you to Carol and Jim, and everyone else who helped organized the event. I don't want to miss any names so I will leave it at that. Thank you. Saturday was a buzz with everything going on. We prepared a costume for our dogs, but between the ice cream social, dutch oven class, wine tasting, and even listened in on the solar talk, there just wasn't time to join the pet parade. ha!

Thanks Fred for weighing my trailer. I will have to work on leaving a few things home next time to get the weight down a bit. Ha, ha, must be a trailer diet.

It was nice to see a few of the older Compact trailers there this year, as I have a Compact Jr. myself, but was not finished to bring it along.

Now on to the bad news... Someone rear ended my trailer while going home through Ojai.
A 20 year old kid, just bought a $300. car a week ago, no registration, no insurance, 2010 registration tags were not legit (probably stolen). He was racing a friend around the bend, there was a car making a left turn on highway 33, past the main drag in Ojai. He swerved to avoid the car, crossed over to the other side where I was just entering a parking lot and bam! crash!

Click image for larger version

Name:	11_1_2009_12_23_11_AM_resize.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	24762

No one hurt, but I was not a happy camper at that point.
Attached Thumbnails
11_1_2009_12_23_15_AM_resize.jpg  
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
OUCH Cliff! That bites.

I hope you can salvage something from the guy.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ditto to what Gina said. Grrrrr I hope you have uninsured motor accident insurance and the repair works out.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / 2002 Ford Explorer 4X4
Cliff,

Sorry about your trailer. It is a beauty and with your talent you will fix it up.

Elvin
Elvin Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #5

Everyone should check your insurance policy for trailer coverage! I just got off the phone with my claims agent, and was told "uninsured motorist" does not cover a trailer attached to the primary vehicle. Which means, that I am SOL, and will have to pay for my own repairs that some non insured idiot caused. I realize I could file in small claims court, but it is such an exhaustive effort, and does not guarantee repayment.

Everyone who tows a trailer make sure you are covered for the "exclusions" in the fine print of the insurance policy.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Cliff, I grew up in Ojai, ya want me to get someone to find the lil idiot and string him up from the traffic light at Ojai Ave and Signal St? Was he a minor? Cause you could go after the parents, At the very least they could get their son to do the right thing and pay you, your repair cost.

If you did file a small claims it's done out of Ventura, you don't have to go to Ojai. My Aunt used to work in the small claims office. And it was down off of 101 and Victoria, in the City and County building.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
Quote:
Everyone should check your insurance policy for trailer coverage! I just got off the phone with my claims agent, and was told "uninsured motorist" does not cover a trailer attached to the primary vehicle.
Cliff,
You might want to check your homeowners insurance. Most homeowner policies have personal property coverage for trailers, usually limited to $1,000 for any damage caused by "perils insured against", which includes damage caused by vehicles. Better than nothing!

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Quote:
Everyone should check your insurance policy for trailer coverage! I just got off the phone with my claims agent, and was told "uninsured motorist" does not cover a trailer attached to the primary vehicle....
Did you also have insurance coverage for the trailer? I bought a policy for the trailer from my auto insurance agent -- it was pretty cheap, something like $23/year -- even though I doubt it covers the trailer when it is [b]not attached to the car. So that means I don't expect any coverage while in the campground, or parked at home. I got the policy primarily for liability coverage.

I guess I had better get the agent to explain to me exactly what conditions they [b]do cover. I hadn't thought about an uninsured driver.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
Cliff, do you have an idea of how significant the damage is yet? I realise you can't tell until you open it up, but I was wondering if you had done that yet.
Dana T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:10 AM   #10

Thumbs down

Quote:
Did you also have insurance coverage for the trailer? I bought a policy for the trailer from my auto insurance agent -- it was pretty cheap, something like $23/year -- even though I doubt it covers the trailer when it is [b]not attached to the car. So that means I don't expect any coverage while in the campground, or parked at home. I got the policy primarily for liability coverage.

I guess I had better get the agent to explain to me exactly what conditions they [b]do cover. I hadn't thought about an uninsured driver.
Dana, etal,
For my insurance carrier, I now learn that uninsured motorists only covers my trailer for liability. If my trailer damages someones property while attached liability is considered covered. It does not cover my trailer being damaged. It is only covered if I have specific additional coverage for the value of my trailer. Which means, I may be SOL getting any claims reimbursement. The case is still being researched, but my hopes have been diminished. The insurance company has given me conflicting statements. It seems the only option is small claims court, and that does not guaranteed that I will recoup anything at all, not to mention an exhaustive effort.

John H.
Good idea, and I will check.

Everyone check your insurance to make sure you understand your coverages. Don't let this happen to you when you need insurance to count when you need it.

Old 11-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Cliff - You may want to file a police report with the CHP if it hasn't been done already. Also consider filing a DMV financial responsibility form (available online). The later does have some teeth in that it requires the other driver to show proof that you were compensated for damages or he has insurance, which is required by CA law. If the teenage driver chooses to ignore the DMV they will not renew his license.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Cliff
I felt your lesson about Insurance Coverage was important enough for this discussion to search-able on it's own merits. I gave it a separate topic.

While pursuing this through the court system will probably be arduous for you, that may be the only way to prevent the uninsured from getting off Scott-free.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:40 AM   #13

Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2004 Element
Registry
Well, "sunk in a ditch"! I'm with Robin, string 'em up!!! I WILL call my insurance agent to check on mine, but, dang I am so sorry this happened to you. And this was no accident---this was a crime being committed! ARGGGGGG!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
"I just got off the phone with my claims agent, and was told "uninsured motorist" does not cover a trailer attached to the primary vehicle."

It should be collision. That is a no fault coverage and IF your TV has it, it should cover the trailer. So regardless of who is at fault, the collision coverage should kick in. Again, IF you have full coverage, it should be covered.

Please call the agent again. IF they are not helpful, call the State Insurance Commissioner. A call from them sometimes gets more attention than a 'customer complaint'.
genebland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
I agree with Robin G on both accounts.
Maybe it's time for mommy and daddy to step in and straighten up their son.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:22 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Cliff reported that the driver was 20 years old.

An adult. A young one indeed, but still an adult. Not Mommy and Daddy's responsibility by law, anyway.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Homeowner's insurance almost never covers anything with a license plate.
In fact most will cover nothing with an engine (thanks Lyndy) unless it is directly related to home maintenance , Like a lawn mower or roto-tiller.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 PM   #18

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Cliff reported that the driver was 20 years old.

An adult. A young one indeed, but still an adult. Not Mommy and Daddy's responsibility by law, anyway.
That depends on who the car is registered to. If it's in Mom's and Dad's name they can be held responsible. There have been conditions where adults up to age 25 and their parents have been sued (and the victims won) because these so called "adults" were still living in the parents home and the parents were supporting the "adult."

I would imagine a lot of this varies by state too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote