Good Sam Insurance Policy out there? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Good Sam Insurance Policy out there?

Good Sam rep told me on the phone that they have no way of sending me a copy of their standard policy unless the insurance is "bound", which actually means AFTER I buy it. I actually read contracts before I sign them, so I'm curious if anyone who has Good Sam could email me a copy of their policy terms. Their rates are a bit better than if I bought coverage from my auto insurance supplier, but I'm leery of buying anything without knowing what I'm paying for - impossible to compare cost vs benefits without reading the contracts.

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #2

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Good to know Charlie. Give us a update when you find out.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I have a copy of a policy from 2012, and could scan/email it or fax it or snail mail it. PM me if you like and we can work out details.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Charlie
GS has a policy for new trailers that will buy you a brand new trailer if you have a total loss in the five years. After the first five years they will pay you what you paid for your trailer if you stick with that policy. A little more but it may be worth it to you.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
Charlie
GS has a policy for new trailers that will buy you a brand new trailer if you have a total loss in the five years. After the first five years they will pay you what you paid for your trailer if you stick with that policy. A little more but it may be worth it to you.
Eddie
Those benefits are exactly why I want to read the company-issued policy BEFORE I buy one to confirm it is a legal obligation of the insurer.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #6

Oklahoma
A gazillion pages scanned and sent. I know you'll skip most of it, Charlie, but this way you can be the one to choose what to skip and what to read.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
A gazillion pages scanned and sent. I know you'll skip most of it, Charlie, but this way you can be the one to choose what to skip and what to read.
Thank you Mike; I'll check those out - saw them come in by email. It's just a very strange business practice to me that a company would not put their proposed contract on their home page for review..........

Charlie Y

Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You might find they have more surprises for you when you try to claim.
Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Oregon
I read through the basic Good Sam policy a forum member sent; pretty much standard stuff - nothing special good or bad. Biggest surprise is the top holding company is General Motors! Just weird they don't put it up on their website.

No "new trailer" incentives to buy in the basic policy, either.

Charlie Y

Old 08-18-2014, 11:10 PM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Makes no sense to me either. You have to enter the contract to read the contract? In all those movies with someone signing a contract with the devil doesn't he always "explain" the contract and tell them they don't need to read it? Not that your insurance agent is the devil. Just saying....

When I purchased a house I always said I want a copy of the documents for closing before closing. One time when it got to just a few days before closing I had to call and point out that I was going to read them before I signed them so if folks did not want to sit around a table watching me read.... They were ready for me to pick up later that day.

My brother in law found a calculation error that would have dinged him for almost $500 at a house closing by getting the documents up front so he had a chance to check the figures.

Seems like a less than ideal business practice to not provide you with the policy up front.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:46 AM   #11

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Makes no sense to me either. You have to enter the contract to read the contract? In all those movies with someone signing a contract with the devil doesn't he always "explain" the contract and tell them they don't need to read it? Not that your insurance agent is the devil. Just saying....

When I purchased a house I always said I want a copy of the documents for closing before closing. One time when it got to just a few days before closing I had to call and point out that I was going to read them before I signed them so if folks did not want to sit around a table watching me read.... They were ready for me to pick up later that day.

My brother in law found a calculation error that would have dinged him for almost $500 at a house closing by getting the documents up front so he had a chance to check the figures.

Seems like a less than ideal business practice to not provide you with the policy up front.
Reading the documents before signing makes so much common sense; it's hard to believe anyone would make a major purchase without doing so.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
When I joined the Army in '68, it was filled with draftees. Everyone carefully read every form the Army told you to sign. We were afraid they would slip some re-enlistment paperwork in the middle of the pile. Be careful out there!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:07 PM   #13

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I'm dumping Good Sam. After talking with my auto insurance company, I can get roadside assistance added for about $8 per year. That extends to my camper while attached to my vehicle. I have a separate damage/liability policy for my camper. Don't need the extra expense, and I'm not a motor home with all those worries.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 01:39 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
I'm dumping Good Sam. After talking with my auto insurance company, I can get roadside assistance added for about $8 per year. That extends to my camper while attached to my vehicle. I have a separate damage/liability policy for my camper. Don't need the extra expense, and I'm not a motor home with all those worries.
That looks like where I'm headed, too. There is also the "one source - one contact point" should a bad thing happen, which in my book is worth a few more $.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 PM   #15

Oklahoma
I dropped the Good Sam policy too. My current trailer is now insured on the same policy as my vehicles, with Allstate.

My main motivation for trying Good Sam in the first place was that I also have a cargo trailer for business and I thought I'd have more protection for it with the Good Sam policy. They told me I would. Then I got the policy, read it, and found out that it specifically excludes anything used for business. So I told them to take the cargo trailer off the policy, but kept it on the travel trailer until I sold it this summer (and cancelled Good Sam insurance).

When I bought another trailer 2 weeks later, calling the Allstate agent and adding another trailer to the auto policy was easier than starting a new policy with Good Sam.

One thing Good Sam lets you do easily is to contact them and have them put the trailer into "storage mode", covered by comp but not collision. This drops the premium substantially. However, I could see myself forgetting to contact them and have it removed from storage mode before a trip... in which case a collision would not be covered. I don't want to monkey around with that any more, so for me it isn't a factor.