Got Door off Hunter Today!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Hunter I
Removed door and louver above it today and all the gummy stuff underneath.When I get ready to go back should I use good silicon or the same stuff that was there?Also put new bracing and new screws on each couch/bunk and also new topsfor them !!Looks like the original color on the shell was light green on lower half and white on top half. Does anyone know what the original colors were for the hunters in 74? Thanks Harold
Attached Thumbnails
hunter_door_003.JPG  
harold f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Removed door and louver above it today and all the gummy stuff underneath.When I get ready to go back should I use good silicon or the same stuff that was there?Also put new bracing and new screws on each couch/bunk and also new topsfor them !!Looks like the original color on the shell was light green on lower half and white on top half. Does anyone know what the original colors were for the hunters in 74? Thanks Harold

bunk pic
Attached Thumbnails
hunter_door_005.JPG  
Old 05-11-2010, 10:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 1973 Boler 1300 (Glass-Fab
Registry
DON'T USE SILICONE

The 'gummy stuff' is likely to be butyl tape. Cleans off with varsol or lacquer thinner after you scrape off the lumps. Reinstall with butyl tape, available at any RV store.

Silicone makes a mess, and is hard to clean off, partly because it produces acetic acid (vinegar) when it cures...which is corrosive.

BTW I love the lining....diamond stitch!
Mike Bromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM   #4

Quote:
DON'T USE SILICONE

The 'gummy stuff' is likely to be butyl tape. Cleans off with varsol or lacquer thinner after you scrape off the lumps. Reinstall with butyl tape, available at any RV store.

Silicone makes a mess, and is hard to clean off, partly because it produces acetic acid (vinegar) when it cures...which is corrosive.

BTW I love the lining....diamond stitch!
Hey thanks Mike. Most of it came off pretty well.Going to try and get the old paint off and see whats under there. Yea the lining is in good shape, don't know if it is original or not. It has insulation under it.Thanks,Harold
Old 05-13-2010, 03:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact II / 2001 Honda CRV SE automatic
Send a message via AIM to Joseph Domingos Send a message via Yahoo to Joseph Domingos
Hey Harold,
It sounds like your rig may have been the color scheme of mine, that light green on the lower 1/2 and white on the top 1/2. My poptop's fiberglass portion is green also. Sadly I don't think a list of the original color options exists, but if anybody has one, that would be COOL to see!
I have seen the soft green like mine, a powder blue lower 1/2-white top 1/2, an all red, as well as a rainbow of other colors. I would imagine some have been painted over, and some not.
As for your interior insulation, mine is just like that, so I would say it's original to your rig. In my own experience in only camping here in California (no snow or anything) it's better than nothing, but I don't think it gives a HUGE amount of insulating value. Still, probably better than nothing at all, since some people who are without insulation have talked about condensation issues.
Keep up the good work on your repairs & mods, and keep the pics coming for us 'lurkers' to see, K? hehe

Joe
Joseph Domingos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
I have a 1972 Compact junior , which did not have a liner and I am working on adding insulation and a headliner, waiting for warm weather. I think liners was added in 1973. Does your compact have any support to the roof on the right side, looking from the door. It looks open in the bunk picture.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
Yep; my 73 Compact Jr has the white diamond stitched vinyl.
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Hey Harold,
It sounds like your rig may have been the color scheme of mine, that light green on the lower 1/2 and white on the top 1/2. My poptop's fiberglass portion is green also. Sadly I don't think a list of the original color options exists, but if anybody has one, that would be COOL to see!
I have seen the soft green like mine, a powder blue lower 1/2-white top 1/2, an all red, as well as a rainbow of other colors. I would imagine some have been painted over, and some not.
As for your interior insulation, mine is just like that, so I would say it's original to your rig. In my own experience in only camping here in California (no snow or anything) it's better than nothing, but I don't think it gives a HUGE amount of insulating value. Still, probably better than nothing at all, since some people who are without insulation have talked about condensation issues.
Keep up the good work on your repairs & mods, and keep the pics coming for us 'lurkers' to see, K? hehe

Joe
Hey Joe!! Yea after I did some more sanding mine was also light green on bottom half and green poptop.Getting ready to post pics on my other posts with new white paint all over,HA!!. Thanks for the info Joe. Sounds like mine and yours are pretty similar. Harold
Old 06-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #9

Quote:
I have a 1972 Compact junior , which did not have a liner and I am working on adding insulation and a headliner, waiting for warm weather. I think liners was added in 1973. Does your compact have any support to the roof on the right side, looking from the door. It looks open in the bunk picture.
Hey Kent, their is a small closet in the very corner and an open workspace with sides that go all the way up to roof but don't think they are attatched through roof.But they may be.I will check and see. Thanks to everyone for the info.Harold
Old 06-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Hey Kent: I went back and looked at mine after your question and the sides go all the way to roof and it looks like the screw is missing from from both sides that go through roof and into the side pieces of wood at the top. Other side above oven has a screw and washer with ruubber seal underneath.Will have to fix that later on.Mine is Hunter I but I think the Compacs are the same. Thanks_Harold
Old 06-06-2010, 11:35 PM   #11

Trailer: Hunter 1 / Chevy Blazer
Registry
Harold,
Yours looks just like mine on the inside. Same green ice box and white counter top. Leave the diamond padding. Mine is all red on the outside and white paint in the inside above the sink and stove.

Linda
Linda of San Diego is offline   Reply With Quote