Got my new Scamp yesterday and have questions..... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 07:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpfick View Post
Carol, I'd have no way of knowing what BC requires. This is what AAA puts up on their site. I also have no way of knowing whether their info is accurate either.

BRITISH COLUMBIA
Independent trailer braking system required where licensed weight of a trailer (excluding tow dollies) exceeds 1,400 kg or over 50% of licensed weight of towing vehicle; not required with motorhome towing with a towbar a motor vehicle weighing less than 2,000 kg that is also less than 40% of motorhome GVWR.

Tow dolly braking systems are required where the aggregate net weight of the tow dolly and the GVW of the towed vehicle exceeds 1,400 kg except where the GVWR on the towing vehicle is greater than the combined net weight of the tow dolly, the GVW of the motor vehicle being towed and the GVW of the towing vehicle.
That is just PART of the regulations which why going by condensed version of rules as posted on line by organizations such as AAA is not a good idea. I suspect AAA would suggest your responsible to do your own homework to make sure your trailer meets all the state/provincial safety requirements.

To help you out here is another source of info BC Governments Fact Sheet on Towing: Which reads in part " Every trailer with brakes must have a breakaway device hooked to the trailer brake system."
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 05:22 AM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Federal mandate covering break away brakes is 49CFR393.43.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/393.43

True the majority of states have a 3000# requirement but New York is a low 1000#.
Trailer Brake Requirement For All US States With Map

My two vehicles with factory installed t pin trailer wiring both have have 12 volts plus and minus leads. Wiring for brakes required plugging in a fuse.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:43 AM   #23

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
I guess, in the end though, it seems likely that in whatever province/state the trailer is registered that owner will fulfill the requirements of that code.

I, for one, am certainly not suggesting by these posts that a break-a-way switch isn't a good idea, a wonderful idea, but I was merely wondering how many Scamp 13 and 16 type units have them? The two we've had certainly did not, while our 26' TT did. Of course, if owners buy them in Backus and take them back to a more stringent province or state, the likelihood would increase greatly of the break-a-way getting installed.

Larger, heavier RVs don't leave the dealerships here without them.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:50 AM   #24

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
It appears 49CFR393 only applies to commercial vehicles.

§ 393.1 Scope of the rules in this part.
(a) The rules in this part establish minimum standards for commercial motor vehicles as defined in § 390.5 of this title. Only motor vehicles (as defined in § 390.5) and combinations of motor vehicles which meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle are subject to the requirements of this part. All requirements that refer to motor vehicles with a GVWR below 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) are applicable only when the motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:05 AM   #25

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
It appears 49CFR393 only applies to commercial vehicles.

§ 393.1 Scope of the rules in this part.
(a) The rules in this part establish minimum standards for commercial motor vehicles as defined in § 390.5 of this title. Only motor vehicles (as defined in § 390.5) and combinations of motor vehicles which meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle are subject to the requirements of this part. All requirements that refer to motor vehicles with a GVWR below 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) are applicable only when the motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.
Seems logical, but one never knows whether logic is the right approach when discussing federal codes. LOL

The Feds can and do regulate interstate commerce and interstate trucking. So, it makes sense. Recreational stuff falls more to the states to regulate, it would seem to me and again, the vast majority of the states do not require a break-a-way for a camper under 3000 lbs.

But alas, I may have assisted in hi-jacking this thread to a far different place and for that I apologize to the OP.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp