GPS - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2016, 11:06 AM   #21

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Ditto with Norm/Ginny and CPW. Google is fine for all of our needs.
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 11:29 AM   #22

Name: Bill
Trailer: Escape
Ontario
Registry
MapsMe is a free phone app that works without a data connection. It gives turn by turn instructions.

MAPS.ME (MapsWithMe), detailed offline maps of the World for iPhone, iPad, iPod, Android, Amazon Kindle Fire and BlackBerry
Backwater Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:07 PM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDP View Post
We are looking at the Magellan RV9365T-LMB 7"..... any thoughts?
Lloyd, the problem I had with the very first GPS we had (Magellan), was that when it came for the update, the device was not compatible with MAC devices. We had a MacBook. I called their support and asked if they plan to come up with a way for Mac users to be able to update their GPS's, and they said that they have no plans and never will......I guess it is a sore spot for them.
We bought a Garmin after that, but even their updates are difficult for the technically challenged.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 12:32 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
No problem updating my TomTom from my MacBook Air.
Old 12-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
But phone needs Internet connection which you most likely will not have when need to see a map in hurry in the middle of nowhere:-) Off-line mapping solution like stand alone GPS is a must for travellers who travel not Interstates only.
There is mapping software for phones that does not require an internet connection - CoPilot is an example.

That said, I prefer a stand along GPS. I've had one since the late 90's (A Garmin GPS III+) and currently use a Nuvi 3580. That said, I still stop at AAA and pick up paper maps for all the states I plan to travel through, as well as carrying an atlas. The GPS is great in that it makes county level maps available for the entire country, but a real map is much better at looking at "the big picture".

As to the model of GPS, the models & software change so often that I'd have a hard time recommending a particular model. I will say that one of the annoying things about the Nuvi 3580 is that if you do a coordinate search (what I usually end up using to find a campground using the AllStays app) you cannot change the coordinates to a name like you can with some of the older models. Trying to find a campground later in the "recent" menu is a pain using coordinates. I'd want to get my hands on & play with any new model...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My Samsung Galaxy / T Mobile phone is a phone in name only. Over half the time at home, we have no phone service or internet service and cannot text . We have traveled for days on end and never had one minute of service when we were on the road . Most of the time it is basically useless
My 6 year old Garmin , while not perfect at least works 90% of the time and gets us where we want to go. I would never depend totally on my cell phone under any circumstances . We still have a land line in our home because we want service that we can depend on in case of an emergency . Technology is only great when it actually works !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:04 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If we're in a low data area we can program a route on Wi-Fi and it will download the route for later usage.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:06 PM   #28

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
For us the primary usage of Wi-Fi is in data usage areas like cities. Between locals I have Ginny.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:09 AM   #29

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
GPS

For whatever it might be worth ......

Some of the things you might consider in a Garmin unit:

1) Voice control

2) BC-30 wireless (backup) camera interoperability - for "behind the trailer" view

3) LMTHD - lifetime maps & traffic with rapid HD traffic updates (every 30 seconds)

4) 6" display size? - 5" = smallish? ... 7" = nice but just a bit big for some mounting spots?

I personally wondered if the RV units (RV-760LMT) were a little more targeted at motor homes and larger trailers and not quite as applicable to our smaller FGRV trailers? .... YMMV?

With my older non-HD traffic unit, reported incidents were often cleared before I got there or else were unreported until I was already impacted.

Good luck with your search and decisions!

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #30

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
.....Now if I add a dash-mount hula doll I'll probably have to hang my head out of the driver's window just to see the road ahead.
Naw, you just get a dog for that!

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #31

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Howdy Ray,

Despite my interest in the Garmin RV 760LMT, I agree with your thoughts. I think it is geared more toward the larger RVs like Motorhomes, etc. and is not a requirement for our smaller egg campers. A nice toy with capabilities beyond what most of us need, but still a nice toy!

Happy New Year,

Dean
Old 12-26-2016, 12:28 PM   #32

Name: Marky
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
But phone needs Internet connection which you most likely will not have when need to see a map in hurry in the middle of nowhere:-) Off-line mapping solution like stand alone GPS is a must for travellers who travel not Interstates only.

You don't need internet while traveling. If you plan your trip beforehand, google maps will allow downloads of the area you're traveling to. If on a limited data plan, when stopping for fuel or potty break, just use the business wifi. Most truck stops, and fast food restaurants have free wifi.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 08:52 PM   #33

Name: BARNEY
Trailer: CASITA
Georgia
Take a look at units by rand mcnally,love mine!
Barney cone ii
BARNEYCONE is offline   Reply With Quote