GPS - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #1
LDP

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Minnesota
GPS

Hi

We are thinking about purchasing a GPS system for our tow vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions?
LDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:06 PM   #2

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Lloyd,

We are getting a cell phone booster for Xmas and hope to get a GPS by camping season. Based on recommendations and research, I am leaning toward the following for the GPS:

Garvin RV 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator. It is currently listed on Amazon for $289.

Happy Holidays,

Dean
Old 12-24-2016, 02:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Whatever you get, get 'lifetime maps'. My TomTom gets free map updates several times a year.
Toyota charges my buddy $250 for an update for his Highlander ( western Canada and U.S. is a separate update from eastern Canada and U.S. - so $500 total ) and they only update once a year.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:36 PM   #4

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Here is the naming convention for Garmin devices:
LM - life time maps update
T - real time traffic info.

So 760LMT has 'lifetime maps'.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #5

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Sergey,

Cool beans. I knew it had those features from the description, but did not know that the letters in the named represented those features.

Thank you for the tip.

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-24-2016, 05:44 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Lloyd,

We are getting a cell phone booster for Xmas and hope to get a GPS by camping season. Based on recommendations and research, I am leaning toward the following for the GPS:

Garvin RV 760LMT Portable GPS Navigator. It is currently listed on Amazon for $289.

Happy Holidays,

Dean
So, I was going to ask if anyone had experience with an RV GPS, and now I see that Garmin has one.

We purchased a pair of Garmin 2598LMT's at Costco in the Fall of 2014 for our cars. These are not RV units, but I am very impressed with Garmin overall.

We bought a 2010 Audi in August 2015 and I ran the Garmin at the same time as the Audi's integral GPS system for a while to compare the two. I haven't run the Audi's integral GPS for over a year now as the Garmin is so far superior.

Incidentally, the windshield suction-cup holder provided with the GPS did not work well for us. I bought a pair of Garmin's "Portable Friction Mount" units, a sandbag dash holder. I like these so well that I bought a third one for our TPMS as they use the same ball mount.

Now I've got two devices on the dash when we tow, which is pretty ironic for a loaded luxury vehicle with internal GPS and TPMS systems. But, the TPMS doesn't cover the trailer tires, and the Audi's GPS is just so so-so.

Now if I add a dash-mount hula doll I'll probably have to hang my head out of the driver's window just to see the road ahead.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My go to site for product reviews is the wirecutter. They pick a Garmin for top spot.

The Best Car GPS | The Wirecutter
Old 12-24-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I received a Garmin GPS about 10 years ago and it was great, but it didn't have lifetime maps. So about 3 years ago I bought a new Garmin with lifetime maps, and it has been a disappointment. The interface is much less intuitive IMO and I would have trouble getting the GPS to do what I wanted it to do (when searching for addresses not nearby, for instance). The lifetime maps deal has been a pain, too, because their maps are now too bloated to fit onto my GPS; my update 1 year after purchase no longer had room for Canada and Mexico, and this summer's update wanted me to pick only 1 region of the USA to load! Nuts to that! I doubt that I will ever buy another Garmin GPS for driving.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 07:43 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What ever you get just be sure to have a map with you and review the route ahead of time and be smart enough that you do not turn down a cow path that will get you stranded then when they find you blame it on the GPS.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:15 PM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
I received a Garmin GPS about 10 years ago and it was great, but it didn't have lifetime maps. So about 3 years ago I bought a new Garmin with lifetime maps, and it has been a disappointment. The interface is much less intuitive IMO and I would have trouble getting the GPS to do what I wanted it to do (when searching for addresses not nearby, for instance). The lifetime maps deal has been a pain, too, because their maps are now too bloated to fit onto my GPS; my update 1 year after purchase no longer had room for Canada and Mexico, and this summer's update wanted me to pick only 1 region of the USA to load! Nuts to that! I doubt that I will ever buy another Garmin GPS for driving.
There is a slot on most Garmins to add a micro SD card... I had the same issue with my Garmin in that when updating my GPS it would only accept maps for the US , not Canada or Mexico.. After adding the SD card I could down load the maps for all of the USA , Canada and Mexico. I bought the SD card at Walmart
( 16 GB ) for under $15
The Garmin internal memory was too small when it left the factory and Garmin was aware of the problem. Garmin keeps adding POI to their program and there is just not enough room to accept all the data with out adding the SD card.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 10:58 PM   #11

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Steve, I was having the same problem, bought the micro SD card (32gb) and still rec'd the "not enough storage" message, but it turned out that our internet speed was way to slow to download within the time frame required, or so I was told. I never did go to a library for faster speeds to update our Garmin.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 11:13 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I have the Magellan roadmate RV 9145-LM.Magellan RoadMate RV 9145-LM it is very good like it alot, free updates. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
GPS

My biggest concern when towing is the unexpected appearance of a low bridge. Most of the GPS reviews of models which identify hazards indicate that even though they claim to identify all low bridges, their internal data is sadly lacking. There is a web site (lowclearances.com) that has the most complete database, constantly updated, for the US and Canada. While it is a fee site, the prices they charge are a bargain if it prevents a "vertically challenged accident." The data can be loaded on a Garmin with Garmin's POI (points of interest loader, downloadable from Garmin's website). The alert distance to the obstacle can be customized to the user's desire. Incidentally, there are lots of other POI databases (e.g., quilt shops, rest areas, waterfalls, craft breweries, etc.) on the web. Once POIs are installed they show up on the Garmin's screen, and will "beep" with a warning at the user's selected warning distance.

PS: I am editing because I forgot to mention the best accessory for ANY GPS is a good road atlas to verify routes. After using mine for a number of years, I affectionately named it; the given name: Stupid!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-25-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I've had a Garmin for many years. My current one has lifetime maps (which I just updated a couple of months ago) and traffic alerts.

I remain in awe of this technology even today. Is it perfect? Not 100% of the time, but it will usually get you to where you want to go eventually. The traffic alerts feature has saved me many hours at border crossings by alerting me to long waits, so that I could use a different bridge when leaving or returning to the US to/from Canada. The awe comes from having virtually every back road, body of water and POI for an entire continent in a 4" X 6" X .5" device plus it's ability to pin point my location. Find it extremely useful for night time mountain driving to be aware of how sharp upcoming curves were - proved very accurate.

Anyway, maybe I'm easily impressed - I'm also in awe of how the Post Office can come right to your house, pick up a letter, then send it anywhere in the US and deliver it right to the recipient's door for less than 50 cents. I have never understood why folks complain.

Anyway, Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday (if Christmas isn't your thing) everyone.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:16 AM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Steve, I was having the same problem, bought the micro SD card (32gb) and still rec'd the "not enough storage" message, but it turned out that our internet speed was way to slow to download within the time frame required, or so I was told. I never did go to a library for faster speeds to update our Garmin.
Dave & Paula
Thank you !! Your post shook my memory loose . Our Internet service was too slow ( we live in a rural area) so I had my Son in Law down load it because he has high speed something or other.
( Don't understand --Don't want to) . Anyway after a call to Garmin , installing the SD card , a high speed connection and an hour of time , my Garmin was updated with the full set of N/A Maps
If I remember correctly you have to remove all the stuff in the Garmin memory , then download the new maps to a computer and then from the computer to the Garmin. There is so much information on the Garmin program that we had to delete stuff off his computer so it could all fit. I probably botched the explanation but the story is close.

All I know is , that with the lifetime updates , Garmin does not make it easy to update . If you call Garmin for tech support , they spend more time trying to sell you a NEW gps than solving your current problem. When I bought my new truck, I considered the onboard navigation system but at a $149 / year to update , I passed.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:18 AM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Phone GPS

We use our Phone whenever we need to use GPS. It's more than adequate, always upto date and works virtually every time, and one less piece of hardware..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 08:33 AM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Google maps will also show you where traffic is backed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #18
LDP

Name: Lloyd
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Minnesota
We are looking at the Magellan RV9365T-LMB 7"..... any thoughts?
LDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #19

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We use our Phone whenever we need to use GPS. It's more than adequate, always upto date and works virtually every time, and one less piece of hardware..
But phone needs Internet connection which you most likely will not have when need to see a map in hurry in the middle of nowhere:-) Off-line mapping solution like stand alone GPS is a must for travellers who travel not Interstates only.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:46 AM   #20

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
What ever you get just be sure to have a map with you and review the route ahead of time and be smart enough that you do not turn down a cow path that will get you stranded then when they find you blame it on the GPS.
Posted this yesterday and today on yahoo news, a family was stranded near the rim of the grand canion. The major road was closed a d they were smart enough to take a back road to get to the rim of the canyon. NOTE: The main road was closed due to snow. There is a message here.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote