Grandesse - How to remove housepaint - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 10:55 AM   #1

Name: joey
Trailer: grandesse
yorkshire
Grandesse - How to remove housepaint

hi i have just got myself a mkp grandesse. 1985. the guy who had it before me ,hand painted it . the origanil colour is green. the body work is in great condition. i want to know how to strip what i think is house gloss paint without damaging the gel coat . hope someone can help. all the best joe.
watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Joey, Welcome to the group.

We would love to see photos of your Grandesse! I'm not familiar with that brand, but I don't know many of the Euro brands of caravans. If you feel like sharing photos of the Yorkshire area, that would be wonderful also

I'm sure someone will have some suggestions soon as to how to remove that paint.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
As the gel coat (meaning the very top glossy coating) is already almost 30 years old, and, for some reason, the PO painted over it, I wouldn't be all that concerned about saving what's there.

Hopefully the paint is latex and will respond to a heat gun and a plastic scraper, Most latex strippers don't bother fiberglass at all so, after testing in a hidden area, you might also use that to soften the paint for removal.

Depending on what you find, the next step(s) may 4-6 coats of ZEPP Wet Look Floor Wax or a lesson on applying Briteside Marine paint via the roll and tip method.

You might take it around first and get several opinions on what's on there before starting to remove it though.

If it turns out that is is brushed on enamel, such as Rust-oleum, all I can say is Good Luck with that.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The MKP Grandesse are neato!

"Made in Kolding, Denmark, by Kolding Karosserifabrik, from the late 1960s until around 1988. Exported to many countries. Roof, top, and bottom molds joined with horizontal seams. Length: 18 ft.; interior height: 6' 3"; outside height: 8'8"; insulated and most had double-glazed windows. Custom interiors were available."

I thought the original color was white? Here's a link to the Historian's Album for the MKP Grandesse: Fiberglass RV - Historian's Album: MKP Grandesse
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
I love those pictures Donna referred us to. what a great FB trailer/caravan! It will be well worth all the elbow grease you have to put into it to have this beautiful trailer pristine again. Congratualtion on the purchase.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
This is a Facebook group in Britain and they restore vintage caravans. They may also have some advise and help for you:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/mycoolclassiccar/
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #7

Name: joey
Trailer: grandesse
yorkshire
thanks pam its a very good site
watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Fiberglass gel coat is a very tough and resiliant finish, I have removed both 40 year old carpet adhesive and PL400 from the gel coat on mine using lacquer thinner (us caution and protect yourself). I would even challenge that a paint stripper may also work but!!! Do any testing in an hidden area to make sure it does not effect the finish.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I had to strip the paint off my sons scamp it had been brushed painted. I used Citris strip .i brushed it on a couple square meters and then covered it with plastic and let it soak for a hour or so then power wased it off .keep repeating untill all is removed .the Citris strip never hurt the Fiberglas. You can see the finished trailer at happier camper.com look for the sage coach.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Wow! That looks like a fiberglass airstream...very cool!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Heads Up......

"Citrus Strip", like many other products that put "Citrus" in their name, is a very hazardous petro-chemical stripping product. The spray can version is OSHA rated as "Highly Hazardous" to your health.

Actual "Citrus" content is listed as 1-5%

Always Google the MSDS sheets on these products before considering them for at home use......

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Welcome Watson! Glad you joined us and oh my gawd you got a super cool trailer. Can't wait to see pics!

I so agree with Bob, MSDS facts are worth the time searching out.

Anyway, just wanted you to know if the gel coat does get damaged you can always check out what members have been doing and having great success with at, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html

Good luck with your paint removal project, but please do post pic's of before and after!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote