Gravel Shield - Need suggestions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2015, 01:29 PM   #1

Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - "The Haunted Mansion" (13') and TBD (16')
Colorado
Registry
Gravel Shield - Need suggestions

Greetings all!

The work on our little 13' Scamp is progressing. We're almost to the painting stage. One of the final things we need before we go to paint is the gravel shield. We'd like to get it painted to match the trailer!

I just called Scamp to order one and they told me that in addition to the $85 for the shield, it would be about $60 for shipping! That seemed a little outrageous to me. I want to protect the new front window, but I don't think the shield is worth that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a) a cheaper place to get one or b) a cheaper way to make one? Would using another piece of plexi or lexan be an option?

What have you all done for your rock shield?

Thanks in advance!

- Tony
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I wonder too. I also "kinda" need a new front window, and the local places want more than Scamp's price for one. I figure to just go ahead and bite the bullet and order both the front and back shields, and the new window all of which Scamp should be able to get in one (expensive) box.

With the hardware a clever fellow should be able to fab his own sheild though. I think it is just a chunk of FG sheet. I wonder how a piece of suitable thickness aluminum sheet would work? It has to be cheaper than the sheild and shipping from Scamp. Hmmm.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Colorado
Registry
That's where I'm at. I'm looking at the Grainger catalog for Lexan and Plexi...and can get two pieces (one for the window and one for the guard) for what Scamp wanted for just the gravel shield and its shipping. I've got the hardware, I just need the plastic/fiberglass parts.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Because that gravel shield is flat and is visible over the top/back of my
tow vehicle, I had thought about creating a pyramid shape gravel shield
or a V-nose kind of shield that would attach with those same kind of
hardware snaps/catches.

Then maybe we could push some of that air up and over the trailer, or
perhaps out to the sides, or maybe a little of both. Sort of like the
fairings that many/most 18-wheelers use on the top of the cab to
push air up, over, and around their trailers.

For the construction, I had considered FRP (fiberglass reinforced plastic)
from Home Depot, or 1/4" marine plywood (maybe covered with fiberglass
cloth and polyester resin), or ?????.

Just a thought .....

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I've heard others say Scamp's shipping was expensive. A few years ago I ordered a rear window and a side window. Shipping to eastern NY was $60. BUT, they constructed a wood box with 1 X 6 sides, plywood top and bottom, screwed and glued together. The windows were wrapped in a soft material. Couldn't ask for better packing.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:39 PM   #6

Colorado
Registry
We ordered a slider window too...and the package was just as described above. However, this is for a flat piece of fiberglass that's roughly 20" x 44". Certainly there's a more economical solution.... I guess I could just create one from scratch...
Old 03-25-2015, 10:07 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Found this video tonight...

I would imagine that would be durable enough...after all it was the old front window... I would guess that you could trim it out with the standard edge trim to dress it up.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile My thought exactly

Rdickens, I have thought of using something like this:

Replacement Skylight Dome

Some trucks put similar shaped objects on the front of their
trailers for the aerodynamic effect.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:13 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Folks have made their own rock guard and posted the results. Aluminum angle purchased at the hardware store and sheet fiberglass. I think one person used a piece gleaned from a discarded tub surround. That said, for that price I'd be inclined to pay Scamp. Say the cost of the guard is $145 and shipping is free. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 05:53 AM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Purchasing the gravel guard is a one-and-done. It's not like you'll need to buy one today, next year or ten years from now. It will be the right size and look right on the trailer. I purchased one from Scamp and am glad I did. The only regret I have is I didn't buy marine-grade hardware. The mild steel from Scamp rusts unless waxed often and well.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
Personally I'm a real DOIT MYSELFER kinda guy but to build a guard that looks good and will last,, too much time let alone the cost of materials.
In this case I'd buy Scamp's piece.
This is a link to a mod that I did to turn the guard into an awning.
Been using it now for 12 years. Had to change some of the rivets to nuts and bolts has been the only issue.
Fred
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-40083.html
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
gravel shield.

I ordered and installed the Scamp gravel shield on our 1997 16' Scamp. I ordered a bunch of other stuff at the same time as I had just purchased the trailer which helped with shipping.
Now, a year and a half later, I have found that much of what I bought from Scamp was available through RV or hardware stores. Still I'm happy I went with the Scamp gravel shield.
Installation wasn't bad. The fit is important as I think a lot of the purpose is to keep the wind off the plexiglas window. My son restored a 1946 Spartan Manor with wrap around front windows. He is forever having trouble with leaks if he is forced to drive in the rain. The wind causes the plexiglas windows to "pump" from pressure. Our scamp shield makes contact on the rubber window seal and passes that wind pressure to the body. We try to not travel in the rain but during our last 11,000 mile tour of National Parks, we spent maybe 3 days of driving 4 -6 hrs a day in the rain with no problems other than a little spray coming up from the bottom of the door.
We are also really happy with the idea we got from this site to make a couple of "props" that hold the shield up as a sun visor. The props are 3/4" pvc with couplings at one end. The other end have aluminum brackets ty-rapped to them that catch the clamp hardware. Small tyraps at the top keep the shield permanently installed. Ty-raps break down with uv and should be replaced every year or so if exposed to sun.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #13

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The Scamp gravel guard is nothing special except for the sticker across it. It is made from the piece of fiber glass that the window opening was cut from. The only redeeming quality of it is that the trim lock edge protector on it lands on the gasket for the window that keeps it off the body and off the plexiglass. If you build one keep it in mind especially since your planning on custom painting your trailer you don't want anything rubbing on the paint. If you go your own route and build one I would use a piece of trimlock with a side bubble to space it a little higher still landing on the window gasket. How do you have all the hardware if you don't have a shield. The shield has hardware that fits the hardware on the trailer. Go to a local RV repair and see if they can sell you a piece of Filon scrap from a repair job. New or used would work since your going to paint it. Plexi glass or lexan may not like the chemicals used in your paint and may crack or craze it. Lexan would be a better choice than plexi. For all the costs and hassles your probably better of just ordering one. Although since your going to paint it I would try to order it without the sticker attached and just shipped loose if you can.

Hatch Seal Product Builder - Hatch Seal - Trim-Lok

Crane Co. - FilonŽ
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Scamp gravel shield

The first time I saw a Scamp gravel shield it looked like it used hardware like I used to use on my wooden storm windows.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #15

Colorado
Registry
Thanks all for your comments!

Stevebaz - I have the hardware because we had planned to order the gravel shield when we first got the trailer...so we ordered hardware as part of a bulk order of other parts because we could afford it that month (that's one of the benefits of building your own trailer...you can do it in bits and pieces as the budget permits! ).

Well, after looking at everyone's comments and watching the video I posted a link to, we thought we'd at least consider that option. Well, the old window that came out probably wouldn't make a good shield. It was scratched, which is no big deal since we were going to paint it, but there's a small crack starting to form in the lower right corner (well, it is the original plexi window after all).

So...while I'm a pretty handy guy, and I love doing the DIY thing, but after seeing what y'all thought and talking it over with the boss (aka my wife), we just decided to go ahead and bite the bullet and order the shield from Scamp. I think they're going to start awarding me frequent shopper points...

We were able to get it without the decal. Devin in the parts department said the decal is separate from the shield and you can apply it if you want to. We told them to keep it. And since I have the hardware (like I said, I threw it in on another order because it could fit in that month's budget!), he said he could take off some from the price. That's helpful. Those guys in the parts department are pretty cool.

So, when it arrives, we'll take off the edge trim, sand it down and get it ready for paint.

Thanks again, all for your insight and comments!!!