gray water - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
gray water

I have a U Haul CT 13, it has no gray water collection tank. It has a simple drain below the sink. My question is: What do u-haulers use to collect this water? There is'nt a great deal of height under there. I'm sure I can figure some thing out, only to read a better idea a week later. Any ideas? Mike
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A small six gallon tote like this will do it for you - run the hose from the drain to the small hose connection on the tote. Its low profile so it should fit under the trailer. Some people use open buckets but there are campgrounds that dont allow open collection.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A small six gallon tote like this will do it for you - run the hose from the drain to the small hose connection on the tote. Its low profile so it should fit under the trailer. Some people use open buckets but there are campgrounds that dont allow open collection.
You mean like the Airstream bucket, an aluminum bucket with holes in the bottom? never fills up!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: uhaul, 84, 13CT
Massachusetts
gray water

Carol H: thank you very much. I've seen other totes but, all were much larger. This should do very well, thanks
h.mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Mike, you might want to check how much room there is between your frame rails. I was able to put a flat grey water tank meant for popups under my boler American with a little bit of MacGuyvering. I found one on ebay cheap.

It looks like this, the black frame beside it holds it in place while travelling empty and drops down to form a ramp to allow you to roll the tank in or out of its holding spot.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #6

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
I don't have a grey water tank on my Scamp. I have a 5 gallon paint bucket with lid. I connect a 3' drain hose from the outside drain and run it in the 1" pour spout on the bucket. Campgrounds say as long as I have a lid on it, they are happy. Easy to carry and dump in the campground bathroom.
Old 07-05-2012, 01:35 PM   #7

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
I use a bucket where they allow them.

If there is a sewer connection, you can get a sewer hose connector with garden hose threading to attach to the ct13. Screw it on where the water is coming out then attach it to the sewer hose.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #8

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Mike, you might want to check how much room there is between your frame rails. I was able to put a flat grey water tank meant for popups under my boler American with a little bit of MacGuyvering. I found one on ebay cheap.

It looks like this, the black frame beside it holds it in place while travelling empty and drops down to form a ramp to allow you to roll the tank in or out of its holding spot.

Hey, I was wondering if I could store a portable tank up under my Scamp 13! What brand/model is that? Any markings?

eventually I want to fit a proper gray tank, but I don't need a 26gal like Scamp sells. I only have a 10 gal fresh water tank and a 7 gal water heater, so a 18 gal tank might be ideal.
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
Hey, I was wondering if I could store a portable tank up under my Scamp 13! What brand/model is that? Any markings?
I grabbed that picture off the net. It could be this Barker Tanks 15GALCampTT
The height is higher than your drop floor. On mine when I changed the axle to trailing the Axle is ~2" below the kitchen floor and initially protects the tanks.

If your fresh water tank is in the usual spot, under the bench, then you could use one of the polyrama ERT tanks between the rails under your dinette. There should be room for 2, between the rails at the rear. 1 fresh and 1 gray.

I went this way because of my axle mod and I wanted to be able to dump the tank without moving the trailer. I've got small and large portable ones for the Trillium. I'd be happier with 2 small. Easy to store, handle and dump. If you've got a sink in a kitchen tent, you can have a tank there.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
We just use a 5 gallon bucket with a lid with a hole drilled in it to accomodate an old washer hose with one end cut off.
The lid also prevents small critters from falling into the bucket and drowning.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote