Gray water w/out tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2007, 10:39 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
When tent campers wash their dishes at the open campground faucets at each site, their "gray water" goes into the ground. So, without a tank, when my Boler is hooked to water, the gray water comes out the side, so I put a garden hose on to not be so obvious (OK my daughter said it looks like the Boler is peeing). Is this taboo? I think any time someone sees "stuff" coming out of an RV it's enuf to make your skin crawl, but in this case, I'm making some justification that there's no difference from the other tent campers impact. Opinions?
Janine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:21 AM   #2

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Janine

Yes, I'm afraid it is taboo.... It isn't fun to go to a campsite where the camper before you has left the campsite a mess .... and there are containers that you can purchase to run your hose into. It isn't correct to dump any water at a campsite.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM   #3

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Janine,

We are haul it out people. Leave the campground cleaner than it was when we arrived.

It really isn't so difficult to catch the gray water in a jug meant for that and take it away from the campsite. We have two containers. One is a laundry soap container that sits under the sink for self containment. If we are somewhere for a few days we change the drain to go outside to a larger container to take away for disposal.

Even if I was tent camping I would question where to dump my gray water.

You must camp in very primitive places to get away with not having a gray water container.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
When I tent camped the standard prodedure at primitive campgrounds was to haul your dishwater back to the water spout area where there is usually a catch area under the spout and dump into that. Can't see why it would be any different if you're in a trailer. Best to dump it in the proper location rather than spoil the campsite for the next camper or attract wildlife into the campsites.

No one wants to camp where someone dumped dishwater yesterday and then today Mr. Grizzly Bear is wondering what smells like food in that site.
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
The ways of disposing of "gray water" or dish water are dependent on where you're camped. In campgrounds without sewer connections there's usually a "dish water" disposal basin, use it to dump your closed container of gray water.
In dispersed camping sites (no anything) either carry it out to a dump station or if you must get rid of it, go back into the woods a ways away from camp and spread it out. You need to be at least 200 ft from any water source, lakes, stream, etc., when disposing in on the ground. The use biodegradable soap is strongly encouraged.

Here in PNW it is required that gray water be caught in an enclosed container, an open bucket is a no no.

Also do things to reduce the amount of gray water produced. Clean your hands with one of the water less hand cleaners on the market today. Reduce the number of dishes needed to be cleaned. We've backpacked and used a Sierra Cup and a spoon per person as the only eating-drinking dishes. As I've said before simple meals mean less clean up, less dirty pots and pans, less gray water.

With care your gray water can be kept to about a gallon per day.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #6

I didn't know that, just watched the other campers and everyone was doing this, and I've seen this my whole life camping (washing dishes at the faucets)...this was my first trip out in the Boler, but I'm thinking of getting a 17' Boler with tanks, it weighs more but I'm thinking what's the good of having a hookup without the tank amenities?
Quote:
The ways of disposing of "gray water" or dish water are dependent on where you're camped. In campgrounds without sewer connections there's usually a "dish water" disposal basin, use it to dump your closed container of gray water.
In dispersed camping sites (no anything) either carry it out to a dump station or if you must get rid of it, go back into the woods a ways away from camp and spread it out. You need to be at least 200 ft from any water source, lakes, stream, etc., when disposing in on the ground. The use biodegradable soap is strongly encouraged.

Here in PNW it is required that gray water be caught in an enclosed container, an open bucket is a no no.

Also do things to reduce the amount of gray water produced. Clean your hands with one of the water less hand cleaners on the market today. Reduce the number of dishes needed to be cleaned. We've backpacked and used a Sierra Cup and a spoon per person as the only eating-drinking dishes. As I've said before simple meals mean less clean up, less dirty pots and pans, less gray water.

With care your gray water can be kept to about a gallon per day.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I didn't know that, just watched the other campers and everyone was doing this, and I've seen this my whole life camping (washing dishes at the faucets)...this was my first trip out in the Boler, but I'm thinking of getting a 17' Boler with tanks, it weighs more but I'm thinking what's the good of having a hookup without the tank amenities?

Just cause you've seen people doing something don't make it right. You're [b]not supposed to wash dishes or dump gray water at the faucets. Fines are possible.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
I always carry our bucket to the restrooms or the sink for washing dishes if the campground is so equipped, but I've seen many gray hoses run into the bushes at the campgrounds.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 01:47 PM   #9

well then major oops, even biodegradable detergent doesn't make it pass muster, I never have seen a sign about this by the entrance, by the faucets, by the ranger station, but now that I know, I think I'm going to transition this fall to full bath/shower/tanks
Quote:
I always carry our bucket to the restrooms or the sink for washing dishes if the campground is so equipped, but I've seen many gray hoses run into the bushes at the campgrounds.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:36 PM   #10

Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot 17 ft and 1989 Li'l Bigfoot 13 ft
Maybe I was being bad all those years Sorry for the wrong info
Lainey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:06 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Maybe I was being bad all those years Sorry for the wrong info
Rules might be different in Canada.