Grease gun question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2016, 07:26 PM   #15

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I have a tandem axle so double the time for me and with two trailers... even more time. I think it's a great feature for folks that travel many miles per year. Do you really want to pull hubs and replace seals in Moab during a trip or would you rather give a couple of squirts and do the entire work in your own driveway when you get home? Only you can decide. I've made my decision.

Dexter has had the EZ-Lube for a number of years. If they were all that crappy, they would have pulled the technology. After all, it's their reputation.

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:59 PM   #16
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Grease gun question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dexter has had the EZ-Lube for a number of years. If they were all that crappy, they would have pulled the technology. After all, it's their reputation.

With all due respect, gotta disagree with you on this Donna. Sort of like "if GM ignitions were so crappy, they would have corrected them the minute they realized they posed a safety threat." Why would any company such as Dexter pull a "technology" for something which is questionably ineffective and potentially detrimental (grease on brake components) if it can sell a bunch of people a bill of goods and make X number more dollars on the sale of an E-Z Lube equipped axle. Look at all the companies that try to sell extended warranties. Consumer advocates typically will tell you most extended warranties are a waste of money....yet some people take the bait anyway. But I also understand your point of view. If it gives you a sense of security to pump your hubs full of grease as it does some people to buy extended warranties I would say go for it. The diagram you posted earlier makes it look like there is a narrow passageway from the inner bearing to the outer bearing; there isn't. The entire hub between the inner and outer bearing must be filled before any grease would be pushed through the outer bearing. In reality, if you use a quality grease and don't park your trailer in 12-inches of salt water, you could probably tow a trailer around the perimeter of the U.S. twice without servicing the its wheel bearings and have no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 PM   #17

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
It's good Carl. You and I will never agree on this issue. Please use what works for you.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #18

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Dexter, Al-Ko and Lippert all offer the same system. I'm not sure they all call it EZ lube but the design is the same. Dexter bought Al-Ko recently. EZ lube type systems must work or everyone else would not copy the design.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:24 PM   #19
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Dexter, Al-Ko and Lippert all offer the same system. I'm not sure they all call it EZ lube but the design is the same. Dexter bought Al-Ko recently. EZ lube type systems must work or everyone else would not copy the design.

If any manufacturer came out with what they claimed to be an improvement, every other manufacturer of a similar item would incorporate the claimed improvement just to be competitive, whether or not it was an improvement. It is strictly a marketing tactic. Sorry, mom, but in the business world if someone jumps off a bridge you have to jump off too.

Old 03-17-2016, 05:53 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Pretty good time there Raz. I'm a retired truck mechanic and by the time I jack up the trailer, pull the hub, wash the bearings in my parts cleaner machine and inspect them, clean the brake shoes, clean the old grease out of the hub, pack the bearings, install them and the hub and adjust everything, I'm well over an hour. But since I'm retired I'm in no hurry at all.
Thanks for the compliment. Raz
Old 03-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #21

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Well I'll say the EZ lube has the hallmarks of being a "gimmick", but just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean it doesn't work. Probably the absolute right way to service an axle is to pull the bearings and clean and re-pack them the way it's been done for decades, and will continue to be done for decades unless the EZ lube really is "better".

Because really, if the EZ lube was really the best way to do this and a true innovation and stop forward in technology, all axle bearings would be that way.

But does it "work"? Seems like it does. Do the cheap knife sharpeners I buy work as well as the old way of sharpening knives which actually requires skill? Probably not. But can I get a completely adequate edge on a knife with them? Yes. Does an automatic car wash get my car as clean as the old fashioned sponge and bucket and wax afterward? Nope. But millions of people seem to be getting away with auto car washes.

There are better analogies but they don't seem worth my mental effort right now so I'll have to settle for those...But there are a lot of things different industries have come up with to try to clean or lubricate the inside of things without taking them apart, because they take a lot of time and effort to disassemble and clean/lube. They all work to some extent. Just not as well as the "real thing". But in many cases probably "good enough".

Seems to me the EZ lube is an imperfect method allowing a person with less mechanical skills to do their own bearing maintenance. Seems like in general it must work "just fine", though not as well as the traditional method.

Reading what I've read in the this thread I think that if I had known more when buying my axle, I would have gone with a traditional axle. But Dexter must be pushing the EZ lube pretty hard because I didn't even see the option of a traditional axle. They were all EZ lube.

My guess is that it's going to work just fine. I just need to be aware that lubing the bearings is not the only maintenance that needs to be done. I'll still need to open things up now and then and check the brakes and maybe do a "traditional" clean and repack of the bearings.
Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 AM   #22
CPW

Flori-duh!
Registry
I have been somewhat critical of the E-Z Lube feature, and even though it came "standard" on my current trailer, I will never utilize it. While I have no doubt that if you raise the trailer and spin the wheel while you are injecting grease, the grease will be forced and probably distributed throughout the inner bearing from the tiny opening of the passageway that goes through the spindle. And once the entire hub is filled between the inner and outer bearing, pumping in more grease can displace grease in this cavity pushing it through the outer bearing. So yes it works, BUT AT WHAT POTENTIAL COST? The hub heats up when the trailer moves down the road and the grease expands somewhat. If the entire hub is crammed full, it has to go somewhere. Hopefully, as it expands it passes through the outer bearing. Than again, perhaps it seeps out around the seal behind the inner bearing onto the brake components rendering them ineffective. And that is assuming that the hydraulic pressure of pumping in grease in the first place hasn't already unseated the seal, allowing the incoming grease to flow all over the brake components. And the seals available today are often not the quality of seals made in years past. I have seen far too many trailer brakes contaminated with grease from the use of E-Z Lube.
If you think I am being overly dramatic, I would suggest that you speak with a mechanic at any reputable RV service facility.
I cannot speak for all the proponents of the E-Z Lube on this forum but I do not want to tow my 4,400 lbs. trailer without functioning brakes. Not only would I put myself in jeopardy, I would put my trailer in jeopardy as well as all those on the road in close proximity to me.
Certain maintenance tasks should be done properly, even if it takes more work and more time. If you don't wash and wax your vehicle or trailer the old fashioned way with bucket and sponge, the car wash certainly may do an "acceptable" job. But if your brakes fail to work at a critical moment, the consequences could be severe, even fatal to someone.

I promise I will post no more on this thread. I've already said enough. Maintain your bearings in whatever manner you choose.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #23

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
IMHO:
EZ-Lube is nothing but a sales gimmick that should never be used. If one truly understands how it works, he/she would not use it. When grease is pumped in, it travels down a channel to the back side of the inner bearing, where if it doesn't displace the grease seal and contaminate the brake shoes and drum rendering them unable to stop the trailer, it is forced through the inner bearing. Enough grease must be pumped in to then fill the entire hub. Three hours and at least two tubes of grease later the grease, possibly contaminated by particles from the inner bearing or the internal cavity of the hub just might be forced through the outer bearing. Do yourself and your wheel bearings a favor and forget the E-Z Lube "feature." Maintain the bearings properly. Remove, clean, inspect, repack, and reinstall them. This is the tried and true way to do it. OK, rant over.

I completely disagree!
I have the necessary credentials to claim a true understanding of how it works, and I use EZ-Lube regularly with excellent results.
It takes only a few squirts, properly applied, to displace enough grease to have clean grease start to appear in the outer cavity.
12 years and seventy thousand towed miles have shown the utility of the EZ-Lube system.
Fact is, I have only removed the drums a couple of times when I wanted to inspect and adjust the brakes.

The angst over grease is a bit overblown anyway.
While clean and well lubed bearings are important the stuff isn't watching the clock or the calendar!
Dexter has CYA recommendations which include hand repacking often enough to obviate the need for EZ-Lube, yet fortunately they still make them. As with the care of most any mechanical device, a true understanding is an asset when expecting good results.

Below is a photo of what not to do...
I brought this trailer home over 600 miles in this condition. There were no seals and no dust caps, both of which had been obviously missing for years while being towed on Kentucky backroads. I replaced the bearings and installed seals and dust caps , but there was no significant wear on the old bearings or races.
Attached Thumbnails
Shelly#8 004.jpg  
Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM   #24

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I am in the process of injecting new grease into my Casita's EZ lube wheel bearings. Why is it that when I squirt about half a 14 ox canister of grease thn the grease gun goes limp and will not inject any more. I then put in a new grease cartridge and I am again able to get grease to go into the EZ zert with a bit of pressure. Looking at the discarded cartridge, it looks about 1/3 to 1/2 full. That seems like a lot of wasted grease. This is my first time putting grease into the EZ lube bearings. I never noticed this when using bearing buddies or lubing the chassis of my lawnmower.

Do I need a new grease gun? If so any recommendations? Or what am I doing wrong.
There are sometimes air pockets in the tube of grease. Pull the T-Handle out and stroke it in and out a few times with the gun facing downward.
Then pump the handle on the gun until grease starts to flow. you may need to do this a couple of times to get results.

When installing a new cartridge into a grease gun air is often trapped at the pump end. Some guns have a release in the cap which allows you to clear the trapped air. Some do not, you can sometimes clear these by unscrewing the pump end just enough to let the air escape while operating the lever.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #25

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Seems like probably EZ lube is an acceptable option if you know the right way to lube it, then? In your opinion, is the Dexter video showing how to do this good? I want to make sure I know any "tricks" or what-not-to-do...

Dexter Video

Non Dexter Video

I've been around internet forums long enough to know that on technical issues where knowledgeable people come down firmly on either side of a topic, it's clearly not a black & white, either they're really great or really terrible, issue. Obviously they work. But some people will never be comfortable with them, and probably their concerns are legitimate, even if thousands of problem free trailers are on the road with EZ lube axles.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:47 AM   #26

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 2013 19 ft
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
IMHO:
EZ-Lube is nothing but a sales gimmick that should never be used. If one truly understands how it works, he/she would not use it. When grease is pumped in, it travels down a channel to the back side of the inner bearing, where if it doesn't displace the grease seal and contaminate the brake shoes and drum rendering them unable to stop the trailer, it is forced through the inner bearing. Enough grease must be pumped in to then fill the entire hub. Three hours and at least two tubes of grease later the grease, possibly contaminated by particles from the inner bearing or the internal cavity of the hub just might be forced through the outer bearing. Do yourself and your wheel bearings a favor and forget the E-Z Lube "feature." Maintain the bearings properly. Remove, clean, inspect, repack, and reinstall them. This is the tried and true way to do it. OK, rant over.

Maybe a good idea for a boat because of water , trailer not so much ? I don't have them on my trailer and I don't think I am missing anything ? Pat
Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 AM   #27

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
EZ LUBE What's it REALLY for????

I've gone head-to-head with Dexter over cleaning/repacking bearings EVERY year.

The EZ LUBE? Words from Dexter- It was primarily designed for BOAT TRAILERS. Backing them off in the water continually... use the EZ Lube and it will "push out" the water if there's any in the hub and replace it with grease.

Some use it to replace grease on travel trailers.

Dexter (and other axle mfrs) REALLY over-blow the maintenance issue to scare people on these axles. As Floyd stated: simply a CYA issue! They admitted as much (not in those words) to me.
Old 03-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Just finished the other wheel. First wheel took 2 cartridges, but as I mentioned above, a considerable amount of grease was left in each cartridge but the gun would not squirt it out. The first half of each cartridge work fine, but the last half of the grease would not come out.

2 cartridges!!!! You sure you have not pushed the seal out and contaminated the brakes - resulting in no brakes?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote