Grease gun question - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-18-2016, 08:17 AM   #71

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have the EZ - lube hubs and I like them.
As an engineer for 45 years I and both offended and agree with the comments.
As a maintenance and reliability guy I know what he is talking about.
On the ez-lube I think it works well within it's limitations.
The manufacturer suggests annual manual repack.
One think many do not realize is that bearings should not be over full.
If you use the EZ system you will over fill the bearing and it will run a little hotter until the excess grease is expelled.
This shouldn't be much of a problem since the relief is always open.
I also stop after a short distance and check the hub temp.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

Old 03-18-2016, 08:37 AM   #72

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
As an engineer for 45 years I and both offended and agree with the comments.
As a maintenance and reliability guy I know what he is talking about.

Yeah I think the take-home lesson is that engineers are people. Just like people in any other profession, they aren't god and they don't know everything, sometimes miss something, and can sometimes lose sight of the end user while trying to get all fancy with something. You only have to pay attention to vehicle recalls to know that engineered equipment, like everything else in the world, is a "work in progress", always being tweaked and corrected and, sometimes...scrapped.

Old 03-18-2016, 08:56 AM   #73

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Dexter talks about driving out the bearing race when bearing replacement is required but they sell new hubs with bearings and races installed so there is no need. They also sell complete backing plates cheaper than the individual brake parts.
I can run down to my local auto parts store and pick up new bearings, replace the races in the hubs, and be done a whole lot quicker cheaper and easier than waiting for new hubs. I have a seal puller and a seal driver set. A simple rolling head bar is good for removing the seal, better than hammering on the bearing. I recently did buy a complete brake set, backing plates with shoes and the magnets. About $42 each. Heavy Haulers, a trailer and truck cap dealer is close to me and they stock all the parts. They even had the special lock piece for the spindle nut.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #74
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
I can run down to my local auto parts store and pick up new bearings, replace the races in the hubs, and be done a whole lot quicker cheaper and easier than waiting for new hubs
I found that if you wanted to replace the hub it was cheaper to buy the set. Same with the backing plate. What I can't figure out is why the #10 parts are cheaper than the smaller #9.

Quote:
A simple rolling head bar is good for removing the seal, better than hammering on the bearing.
I'm not sure what a "rolling head bar" is? I use a pry bar. Same thing perhaps? Hammering on the bearing. Interesting.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:20 AM   #75

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
!0" being cheaper is probably due to there are more in service than the 9" ?? Here's a picture of a seal puller and what I'm calling a rolling head bar, actually listed as a "Lady Foot" bar. My misnomer, sorry. On another forum for vintage campers there are instructions for greasing bearings that state to insert a punch or wood dowel into the hub against the inner bearing and drive it and the seal out. Then wash the bearings in gasoline. It works, but I'll stay with the seal puller and non-flammable parts cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0688.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #76

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp 19 5'er
Colorado
This is almost as good as the BMW motorcycle forum that I frequent. The latest discussion to get everyone's undies in a twist was not the annual springtime , "What's the best motor oil to use?". No it was, "Do I really need to pay $150 for a Snap-On torque wrench, or is the $15 Harbor Freight torque wrench OK?" I think that discussion (that's being generous) went almost 9 pages before the food fight was over!

Let's go camping!!
Old 03-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #77

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
I used to spend a lot of time on a banjo forum and there was a heated, dozen page thread on whether a certain song was played in G# or Ab...

Anyone with some basic music theory knowledge will understand...

Old 03-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #78

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
GOOD one Zach... same note/chord!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
I used to spend a lot of time on a banjo forum and there was a heated, dozen page thread on whether a certain song was played in G# or Ab...

Anyone with some basic music theory knowledge will understand...

Old 03-18-2016, 12:14 PM   #79

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Carol ment to say seal not bearing. The bearing will be loose. The seal is press fit. Too much pop corn, perhaps.

Raz
Thanks Raz for the correction - 100% correct.... as you say tap the seal. .

Nope not to much popcorn just forgot that someone who has not done it before his not going to beware the bearing is loose and its the seal that needs some help to pop out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:30 PM   #80

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I BTW am still sitting here eating popcorn as this thread is like watching a movie - whats the ending? Did the OP actually purchase to 2 grease cartridges containing mostly air or is the brake assembly holding 2 cartridges of grease resulting in a faint of heart braking/towing adventure.

The OP seems to know what every good movie director knows, to make it a good thread you need an element of suspense
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:57 PM   #81

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
Guys/gals...here's the TOTAL answer to this entire topic. This would eliminate ALL grease guns and discussion along with grease fittings, bearing inspections and/or replacement, bearing packing every year, seal blowouts....and shoot... cause yard sales full of popcorn machines!!

Just TOOOO bad they dont make them for our smaller axles!
Attached Thumbnails
DEXTER NEV-R-LUBE.jpg  
Old 03-18-2016, 01:16 PM   #82

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I haven't met them all, but some of my best friends...
I even knew one, now deceased, who operated a Steam locomotive.

Seriously;
The only idiots would be those who never question the engineers, many of those are now deceased as well. The key is to work with them and not for them, the ones who are not idiots appreciate it.
Floyd...
It's apparent that you've never seen or know what happens and goes into the design of a product, any product. Just look around you, everything you touch or use has to be engineered. There's a lot more that goes into the design and manufacture than you realize.
So now from and engineer I think all shade tree mechanics are idiots. Makes about as much sense as engineers are idiots.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #83

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Piper said: This is almost as good as the BMW motorcycle forum that I frequent. The latest discussion to get everyone's undies in a twist was not the annual springtime , "What's the best motor oil to use?". No it was, "Do I really need to pay $150 for a Snap-On torque wrench, or is the $15 Harbor Freight torque wrench OK?" I think that discussion (that's being generous) went almost 9 pages before the food fight was over!

Well, Just wait until there is a post about Grounds or what type of electrical wire to use or should we carry a couple gallons of water in jugs instead of filling up the onboard tank.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #84

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Reapaking wheel bearings aint the easiest thing to do and even harder if you are stupid.