Grease gun question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2016, 10:06 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Grease gun question

I am in the process of injecting new grease into my Casita's EZ lube wheel bearings. Why is it that when I squirt about half a 14 ox canister of grease thn the grease gun goes limp and will not inject any more. I then put in a new grease cartridge and I am again able to get grease to go into the EZ zert with a bit of pressure. Looking at the discarded cartridge, it looks about 1/3 to 1/2 full. That seems like a lot of wasted grease. This is my first time putting grease into the EZ lube bearings. I never noticed this when using bearing buddies or lubing the chassis of my lawnmower.

Do I need a new grease gun? If so any recommendations? Or what am I doing wrong.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Sounds like the spring loaded plunger on the grease gun is sticking in the grease cartridge. Sometimes too you have to get the air out of the gun when installing a new cartridge or it won't put out any grease. A couple of my grease guns have a bleeder on the top, others just have a plug. When the gun stops putting out any grease, pull the plunger handle out and let it back in a couple times, see if that helps. And now we can start the discussion of grease gun versus pulling the hubs, cleaning, inspecting bearings and brakes, and hand greasing
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 10:51 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Grease guns are a bit temperamental, in my experience...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
.....And now we can start the discussion of grease gun versus pulling the hubs, cleaning, inspecting bearings and brakes, and hand greasing

IMHO:
EZ-Lube is nothing but a sales gimmick that should never be used. If one truly understands how it works, he/she would not use it. When grease is pumped in, it travels down a channel to the back side of the inner bearing, where if it doesn't displace the grease seal and contaminate the brake shoes and drum rendering them unable to stop the trailer, it is forced through the inner bearing. Enough grease must be pumped in to then fill the entire hub. Three hours and at least two tubes of grease later the grease, possibly contaminated by particles from the inner bearing or the internal cavity of the hub just might be forced through the outer bearing. Do yourself and your wheel bearings a favor and forget the E-Z Lube "feature." Maintain the bearings properly. Remove, clean, inspect, repack, and reinstall them. This is the tried and true way to do it. OK, rant over.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-16-2016, 12:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have EZ-Lubes on two trailers and happen to like them. Obviously YMMV
Attached Thumbnails
EZ-Lube.JPG  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:41 PM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Seems to me that half a tube of grease should be enough for the bearings on about six trailers.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Name: Keith
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
Seems to me that half a tube of grease should be enough for the bearings on about six trailers.
But how much can the brake drum hold? You really can't know until you've filled it up.
Keith2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Mb View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The last time I used a grease gun on the Scamp, it just a couple of pumps until I saw the grease changing color as it was being pushed out.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Just finished the other wheel. First wheel took 2 cartridges, but as I mentioned above, a considerable amount of grease was left in each cartridge but the gun would not squirt it out. The first half of each cartridge work fine, but the last half of the grease would not come out.

ON the 2nd wheel I put in a new cartridge and it filled up the EZ hub fairly quickly, maybe half a cartridge remaining, with the grease still pumping out. I just can't figure out why the first two worked for a while then just quit.

I have never taken a wheel/hub off to re grease it the proper way, but I expect I will one of these days.

Thanks to everyone who has responded.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #10

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Sounds like way to much Grease. Are you sure some didn't come out somewhere else. If it did, you will find out after you toe the egg and find grease slung all over the place. .
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:23 PM   #11

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The last time I used a grease gun on the Scamp, it just a couple of pumps until I saw the grease changing color as it was being pushed out.

Yep. Highly likely the grease seal was pushed out. Personally, I would remove the wheel and the hub to check and if necessary, correct the problem before it creates a real mess.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And when the break drums get all greased up I side - Well, that presents more problems.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #13
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In the past Floyd and others have waxed poetic about EZLube. My trailer doesn't have them so I never took a close look at how they work. After reading Carl's "rant" and looking at Donna picture, I can see several reasons I wouldn't use it. It seems the idea is that the old grease is suppose to be displaced by new grease. But how can you tell if grease is travelling through the entire inner bearing. And it seems to me that you are pushing contaminated grease from the inner bearing through the outer bearing before clean grease arrives. How do you know the bearings are good? How about the seal?.How do you know the brakes and associated mechanism is in good shape? The last time I greased my bearings I found a wire had come loose just enough to make contact and insulation was worn. Finally it seems like when you do take things apart there will be one heck of a mess to clean up.

I had never greased bearings before I bought a trailer. I followed the instructions in the Dexter manual. It takes me an hour from start to finish to grease my bearings by hand, inspect the tires, and set the brakes. As some often say it's a maintenance issue. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:51 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Pretty good time there Raz. I'm a retired truck mechanic and by the time I jack up the trailer, pull the hub, wash the bearings in my parts cleaner machine and inspect them, clean the brake shoes, clean the old grease out of the hub, pack the bearings, install them and the hub and adjust everything, I'm well over an hour. But since I'm retired I'm in no hurry at all.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 06:26 PM   #15

I have a tandem axle so double the time for me and with two trailers... even more time. I think it's a great feature for folks that travel many miles per year. Do you really want to pull hubs and replace seals in Moab during a trip or would you rather give a couple of squirts and do the entire work in your own driveway when you get home? Only you can decide. I've made my decision.

Dexter has had the EZ-Lube for a number of years. If they were all that crappy, they would have pulled the technology. After all, it's their reputation.
Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #16

Florida
Registry
Grease gun question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dexter has had the EZ-Lube for a number of years. If they were all that crappy, they would have pulled the technology. After all, it's their reputation.

With all due respect, gotta disagree with you on this Donna. Sort of like "if GM ignitions were so crappy, they would have corrected them the minute they realized they posed a safety threat." Why would any company such as Dexter pull a "technology" for something which is questionably ineffective and potentially detrimental (grease on brake components) if it can sell a bunch of people a bill of goods and make X number more dollars on the sale of an E-Z Lube equipped axle. Look at all the companies that try to sell extended warranties. Consumer advocates typically will tell you most extended warranties are a waste of money....yet some people take the bait anyway. But I also understand your point of view. If it gives you a sense of security to pump your hubs full of grease as it does some people to buy extended warranties I would say go for it. The diagram you posted earlier makes it look like there is a narrow passageway from the inner bearing to the outer bearing; there isn't. The entire hub between the inner and outer bearing must be filled before any grease would be pushed through the outer bearing. In reality, if you use a quality grease and don't park your trailer in 12-inches of salt water, you could probably tow a trailer around the perimeter of the U.S. twice without servicing the its wheel bearings and have no problems.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:35 PM   #17

It's good Carl. You and I will never agree on this issue. Please use what works for you.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 PM   #18

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Dexter, Al-Ko and Lippert all offer the same system. I'm not sure they all call it EZ lube but the design is the same. Dexter bought Al-Ko recently. EZ lube type systems must work or everyone else would not copy the design.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:24 PM   #19

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
Dexter, Al-Ko and Lippert all offer the same system. I'm not sure they all call it EZ lube but the design is the same. Dexter bought Al-Ko recently. EZ lube type systems must work or everyone else would not copy the design.

If any manufacturer came out with what they claimed to be an improvement, every other manufacturer of a similar item would incorporate the claimed improvement just to be competitive, whether or not it was an improvement. It is strictly a marketing tactic. Sorry, mom, but in the business world if someone jumps off a bridge you have to jump off too.

Old 03-17-2016, 04:53 AM   #20
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Pretty good time there Raz. I'm a retired truck mechanic and by the time I jack up the trailer, pull the hub, wash the bearings in my parts cleaner machine and inspect them, clean the brake shoes, clean the old grease out of the hub, pack the bearings, install them and the hub and adjust everything, I'm well over an hour. But since I'm retired I'm in no hurry at all.
Thanks for the compliment. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote