Gremlins open the door? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft
Occasionally when traveling the door to our 99 Scamp will come open; even when locked. This happened while towing on rough roads at highway speed (I 40 through the Smoky Mtns). The strike plate engagement seems to be about 1/2-3/4" which should be plenty. What's going on? Using a bungee to keep it shut seems inelegant.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 AM   #2

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Problem may be opposite of where you think. Check your hinges. They me be loose and allowing the door to move and jostle.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:16 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
Occasionally when traveling the door to our 99 Scamp will come open; even when locked. This happened while towing on rough roads at highway speed (I 40 through the Smoky Mtns). The strike plate engagement seems to be about 1/2-3/4" which should be plenty. What's going on? Using a bungee to keep it shut seems inelegant.

I had the door of a 77 13ft open on steep driveways, never did stop it but figure it must be torguing the egg. Is you egg level when towing??
Old 11-29-2005, 09:23 AM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
It's possible the frame may be twisting and something isn't bolted down too. Check for loose fasteners EVERYWHERE and cracks on the frame....I'd think it would be time well spent.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #5
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I don't know the cause OR the cure but this is what happened to me:

When I first got my '89 the door came open very easily. Two things that I did (amongst others) before I took it very far was to change out the door latch and put new rubber molding around the door. Did this do it? Not sure; but I do know that it fit much tighter and after 9,000 or 10,000 miles later, it hasn't come open again.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
I too had a problem with an '84 Scamp 13'...what I found that worked was to make sure that after I locked the trailer door, I lifted the handle up a little and this seemed to keep the door closed. But I haven't driven on rough roads.

So far I have not had this problem with my '94 Scamp 13

Good Luck

Jim
Old 11-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #7

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

My 1978 Fiber Stream's door is aft of the axles, and I know that my frame flexes. Sometimes I have to apply downward pressure to the deadbolt lock to get it to engage in the strikeplate while hitched up for towing. When parked at a campsite, the rear stabilizer jacks keep the doorframe aligned for trouble free operation. There are RV supply stores that carry a red rubber bungee in the shape of the letter "P" and I have one installed. There is a screw eye at the tail (or foot) of the "P" to fasten it to the side of the trailer and the loop goes over the doorknob while in transit. I consider a bungee more elegant than a flapping door while underway.
Attached Thumbnails
Door_Bungee.jpg  
Old 11-30-2005, 08:41 AM   #8

I've checked the frame... this was one of the first things I did when I got the Scamp home this June (wire brushed and rusty spots and repainted). The Scamp tows slightly nose up as level is 19" and the tow height is 20" (factory recommended 21" hitch height but the Durange doesn't squat quite as much as a lighter tug... tongue weight at 20" is 350 lb tho). I have noticed that the front, curb side, of the Scamp is lower than the driver side while the belly band is level... looks lopsided and the 1-2" extension appears to be so the bottom of the door is covered. Strange way to deal with a door fit (the hull below the belly band on this side is actually longer... I measured it). The door fit is also kinda funky as it matches the curve of the Scamp in the rear while the front sticks out and I had to seal the door bottom with garage door seal [this was a former topic, pre-hack, and seems to be a rather common problem.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #9

Name: Ruth
Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe/'78 Trillium 1300
Arkansas
Registry
I see 140 mph through the Smokey Mountains as being the problem! (I see being the operative words-- That's what I really thought it said at first!)
Old 12-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
The door on our Trillium got sprung on a trip to Alaska. We drilled out the holes for the hinges and reglassed them and hung the door again. By the way, we enlarged the hole where the screws go into the body and stuck a hardwood dowel in before glassing. The hardwood made it easier to drill the pilot hole for the hinges. Since we had the same problem with the door coming open that you had I took the striker plate off and fabricated a new one that gave me a better bite from the sliding latch. Never again did that door pop open accidentally.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
John and Sandy, our '92 Scamp door would pop open, too. We always tried to remember to lock it when traveling. That was a pain. What we (actually my husband) did was take the handle off and turn it upside down. Now to open the door one has to pull up on the handle instead of pushing down. It worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

Nancy
Old 12-11-2005, 08:15 AM   #12

Hi Nancy; I think I'll give that a try. I suspect that the trailer flexing during towing (particularly on rough roads) may be causing the handle to gradually work it's way downward... Thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 12:58 PM   #13

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
that would make my brain 'splode!

It's hard enough to remember to turn my wheels opposite where I want to go when backing.. I am afraid I would break down in tears if I couldn't remember to turn my handle wrong to get in..

*Gina sits slumped against side of trailer in the rain.. lightning crashes.. dogs are smart, they crawl UNDER it.. Gina goes and sleeps in the car*
Old 12-11-2005, 05:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
You crack me up. Actually, it hasn't been hard to remember how to operate at all. It doesn't feel awkward.

Nancy