Grey water drainage backup question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-15-2014, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Katie, I think Byron has the best suggestion, not sure you really need all that for venting...... may simple be a build up of gunk in the trap. Helped a friend replace the trap last year and it was jammed full of gunk.. nothing wrong it just needed a good clean out and the kink taken out of the drain hose attached to it.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:26 PM   #16

Name: Katie
Trailer: Scamp
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Katie, I think Byron has the best suggestion, not sure you really need all that for venting...... may simple be a build up of gunk in the trap. Helped a friend replace the trap last year and it was jammed full of gunk.. nothing wrong it just needed a good clean out and the kink taken out of the drain hose attached to it.
Am I wrong in thinking if it were a drain trap problem that I'd still continue to have problems with it backing up (because the vent is distal to the trap)? Since allowing the air escape, I haven't had any problem with the drain at all. I figured the backup was mainly because I've attached a hose to the RV connection and created a long, small-diameter, closed circuit and therefore significantly increased the peripheral resistance. It didn't do this when I was emptying it directly into a buck using a short length of hose.

(20 minutes after writing above paragraph): For good measure (and piece of mind), I removed the drain trap to inspect for build-up and it was completely clear. I think the problem was my original suspicion about the air needing venting. I'm sure I'll tweak my system a couple more times before finding the perfect solution, but for now it's working really well!

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 10-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by katidesc13 View Post
Am I wrong in thinking if it were a drain trap problem that I'd still continue to have problems with it backing up (because the vent is distal to the trap)? Since allowing the air escape, I haven't had any problem with the drain at all. I figured the backup was mainly because I've attached a hose to the RV connection and created a long, small-diameter, closed circuit and therefore significantly increased the peripheral resistance. It didn't do this when I was emptying it directly into a buck using a short length of hose.

(20 minutes after writing above paragraph): For good measure (and piece of mind), I removed the drain trap to inspect for build-up and it was completely clear. I think the problem was my original suspicion about the air needing venting. I'm sure I'll tweak my system a couple more times before finding the perfect solution, but for now it's working really well!

Thanks for all the feedback!
If it's working and you're happy with it, I wouldn't fuss with it. I related my experiences, but that doesn't mean it would be the same for everybody. I hope you're enjoying living in your Scamp.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Just remember what you have now is an open vent to the sewer right by your side windows. When the drain isn't flowing gases can escape up the line. If it becomes a problem get a couple of sections of pvc and glue a coupler on one end then you can just slip them together and extend the existing vent above your windows. You don't have to glue it up solid.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:37 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1986 Bigfoot FT20
Michigan
Great job Katie, I was going to post my picture sooner but, you had it made ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg