Grey Water Tank Ideas...Collapsible? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
Grey Water Tank Ideas...Collapsible?

Hi all! Has anyone ever tried something off the wall for grey water like...
http://www.amazon.com/Boli-Litres-Co...rey+water+tank
...under the sink? I'm thinking that something like that could easily squish into the under sink cabinet, form fit into the odd space, be INSIDE (bears and such), but be easy to remove and empty. I'd want to work so it screwed right onto the drain outlet...

has anyone tried something like this? Failed? Succeeded?
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zennifer View Post
Hi all! Has anyone ever tried something off the wall for grey water like...
Amazon.com: Boli 10 Litres Collapsible Water Tank Water Container Water Carrier- Food Grade
...under the sink? I'm thinking that something like that could easily squish into the under sink cabinet, form fit into the odd space, be INSIDE (bears and such), but be easy to remove and empty. I'd want to work so it screwed right onto the drain outlet...

has anyone tried something like this? Failed? Succeeded?
I used a blue plastic kerosene can placed under the left bench on one trailer.
The pour spout was adapted to the sink drain, the vent was adapted for overflow and a bulkhead fitting was used to install the drain through a ball valve under the sink then out the side of the trailer through a garden hose fitting. I then provided a garden hose with one end cut off for a drain hose.
You could also buy a plastic fresh water tank which comes with all sorts of fittings to do about the same thing...
Another simpler choice would be to use an ordinary laundry detergent jug and run the sink drain into it under the sink then remove it every time to empty.

10 Gallon Fresh Water Tank Concession Trailers Food Carts Tiny Road Truck 10TK | eBay
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:29 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Coleman also offers a similar collapsible 5 gallon "Water Cube", (which we use for spare water carrying capacity when at Joshua Tree N.P.) but I would vote against using it as an inside grey water tank for several reasons:

1. Weight... Even 10 liters will get a bit heavy trying to disconnect it and lug it out from under a sink without spilling.
2. Spillage.... As above, as soon as you touch one of these the water will head for the open port and be all over the inside of your RV
3. Capacity.... 10 liters will fill fast and imagine the mess when the container is full and there is still a inch of water in the sink.
4. Damage.... You can't really just squeeze these to fit into available space. Any edge or corner contact will become a wall failure point from rubbing, especially if you forget to or can't empty it and have to drive with it in place.
5. Venting... The real biggie. The sink can't drain into a closed container unless there is a way for air to escape. This means adding some sort of a vent, see #1, #2, & #3.

I would still opt for a closed circuit, outside tank, that could be brought inside as necessary.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #4

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
A wheeled cart outside to take away your grey water tank?

Hi, Zennifer
I agree with the others here and vote for an outside unit. I can't lift much and 1 gallon of water is 8 pounds.
The outside of my Faberge LoveBug has an opening where I may attach an hose and run this to a vessel. I am thinking of getting one of these collapsible units so I could firstly haul drinking water if I needed it and haul away grey water:

/www.clipular.com/c/5079316122566656.png?k=lHNdvAdSaa_OMFmV0yL6EDYqk_o

This would hold a grey water vessel outside and could easily be wheeled to a place to dump it. Perhaps a colored tank would be better as it is grey water.
Even a gasoline plastic container would work.

I like that I could use this to haul groceries or my paint supplies out if needed. The first one says one can sit on it. Voila! My art supplies and seat for painting. I guess I'll need two!

I like these for drinking water:

http://www.clipular.com/c/5867453627...6RosCgP8G1oGC8

There were some fresh water tanks on ebay that looked pretty good I sourced a few years ago. I never did get them but should revisit this. I'd put one under the bunk by the sink and use the sink to draw it. For dishes, I'd use boiling water anyway and could use a tank kept under the sink if I didn't want to use all my drinking water.
I hope this helps!
Cheers!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #5

Trailer: Love Bug 1974
Didn't see this, Floyd! Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I used a blue plastic kerosene can placed under the left bench on one trailer.
The pour spout was adapted to the sink drain, the vent was adapted for overflow and a bulkhead fitting was used to install the drain through a ball valve under the sink then out the side of the trailer through a garden hose fitting. I then provided a garden hose with one end cut off for a drain hose.
You could also buy a plastic fresh water tank which comes with all sorts of fittings to do about the same thing...
Another simpler choice would be to use an ordinary laundry detergent jug and run the sink drain into it under the sink then remove it every time to empty.

10 Gallon Fresh Water Tank Concession Trailers Food Carts Tiny Road Truck 10TK | eBay
Hey, Floyd! I just reread your post and saw the link to ebay's tanks! It's just what I needed! Thanks for posting this!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:57 PM   #6

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We use one of the collapsible water cubes. We tie it to the bumper to keep it hooked to the drain hose. We have not had a problem in bear-y areas, yet. The dishwater smells more of soap than food so hopefully will not be attractive to critters.
We have been using it for years and no problems so far
We have the electrical box and hook up under the sink so we really want to keep that area dry!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 07:57 PM   #7

Colorado
Registry
Thanks all! Looks like that thought was not a great one. Win some, lose some....that's why it's great to have all these experienced minds together. :LOL

I like that wheeled tote you posted on my maintenance thread a lot, Bob; definitely high on the list of options.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I use a Barker low profile wheeled tote on my compact Jr.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post505252
Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 PM   #9

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Thanks Fred. So that's what that was. I saw it under there when I was looking at your pictures.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
The Barker 28508 is a real neat tank, I haven't seen one before. I'd like to have one too. But at $110+, it will have to wait, bummer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:42 PM   #11

Colorado
Registry
That's a nice tank...not sure it's in the budget, though! Will give though over he next months until spring....