Grey Water Tank Sensor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2010, 08:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Grey Water Tank Sensor

My sensor in the grey water tank says 3/4 full when it is empty. I'm thinking something is caught up on the sensor inside the tank. I filled it right full then did a dump but didn't fix the problem. What else could be the problem and can I fix it?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You can try using a water wand to shoot water up into the grey water tank and sensor area sometimes works better than just filling and draining the tank.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You can try using a water wand to shoot water up into the grey water tank and sensor area sometimes works better than just filling and draining the tank.
I have no experience using a wand. My line to the tank takes an immediate 90 degree turn at the flush valve. Is a wand flexible enough to take the 90 bend and the be able to rotate round in the tank? Also where in the tank could I expect the sensors to be located? (I suspect the answer is ' anybody's guess'.)

cheers,
David
Old 09-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
I have no experience using a wand. My line to the tank takes an immediate 90 degree turn at the flush valve. Is a wand flexible enough to take the 90 bend and the be able to rotate round in the tank? Also where in the tank could I expect the sensors to be located? (I suspect the answer is ' anybody's guess'.)

cheers,
David
Nope a wand will not flex. The one I use is the same type of wand I use to rinse out the black water tank after dumping. If you go under the trailer and look at your gray water tank you should be able to see where the sensor goes through the tank it should have a wire coming from it. Suprised the line takes a sharp turn on discharge - wonder what else might get stuck in that over time. Can you just stick a hose back up through the flush valve. You may end up have to crawl under and disconnect the line that feeds to the flush valve right at the tank and blast water into the tank from there. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #5

Quote:
You may end up have to crawl under and disconnect the line that feeds to the flush valve right at the tank and blast water into the tank from there.
If only it was that easy. I have a Bigfoot that has an enclosed/insulated basement. Does anyone have any experience in opening up this type of basement and what should I be aware of?

Cheers,
Old 09-13-2010, 10:17 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
If only it was that easy. I have a Bigfoot that has an enclosed/insulated basement. Does anyone have any experience in opening up this type of basement and what should I be aware of?

Cheers,
There is a manual on this site for the BF but all it says on the sensor issue is to fill the tank up and add baking soda and let it sit. Hummm.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #7

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
There is a manual on this site for the BF but all it says on the sensor issue is to fill the tank up and add baking soda and let it sit. Hum-mm.
Someone else told me the same thing. After you let it sit, drive around for awhile to get things sloshed up! Then empty the baking soda water, flush out the tank, and see if that worked.

Someone else discussed using a wand for black water sensor problems.
Old 09-13-2010, 02:06 PM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita
I am not sure, but they used to make a product that cleaned the sensor. You poured it in then added water.

I would think it would do much the same thing as the baking soda, so I would try that first but if that doesn't get it cleaned look for the product. I think we bought it at Camping World. But the instructions were the same as the baking soda method as Jane suggested. Let it sit, drive it to slosh it around, empty. If I remember correctly it can take a couple of times of filling/sloshing if it's really gunked up!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote