Grey Water Tanks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Name: Beverly J
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Washington
Grey Water Tanks

Looking for advise on what to use as a grey water tank. Without a toilet or shower all the waste water I will have is from the sink, so don't think I need a big 30+ gallan container on wheels.
Any gook working suggestions out there?
Thanks,
Beverly
73 Boler
Beverly Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
I took a blue kerosene jug and converted it to an onboard holding tank.
The inlet from the sink is the existing spout on the jug.
The vent was converted for overflow using a piece of tygon tubing routed through the floor.
I then fashioned a bulkhead fitting out the bottom on the side of the tank for the drain.
the drain was then attached through a ball valve then to the existing outside connection.
An old garden hose provided all the tubing needed, saving a length with the proper fitting still attached to use for sewer drain.
Place the ball valve within reach under the sink in the drain line for draining to the sewer.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #3

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
If you are trying the cheaper route, you could first try Craigslist under RV/camper, or locate an RV store in your area that has used tanks and other parts. You want one that is not any deeper than the depth of the trailer axle, otherwise you risk catching it on something when off-road. That can ruin your day!

I installed an after-market gray water tank on my 13' Scamp and reduced the outlet to ¾”. I then ran a pvc pipe close to the side of the camper, installed a pvc gate valve, then a short piece with threaded end and screw cap. I did that because it allows me to drain the tank periodically into a 2-gallon collapsible container. I can then empty it into a pit toilet when at national forest or private campgrounds, or empty it well-away from any dispersed camping sites.

For draining and flushing when at a developed dump site, I cut off the male end of the drain hose and replaced it with a female end. Both ends of the hose now have female ends. After draining the tank, I can then hook up the hose to the faucet at the campgrounds or later at home, and backflush the tank. You can be sure the 3/4” hose is flushing the tank with more force than any backflushing through a 3” hose fitting. Afterwards, I also pour a little liquid odor control in the tank.

Not sure what others do, but I don’t let the tank get full to 20 or 30 gallons. I drain it periodically so it doesn’t take long at all. The simplicity of the process allows me to empty the tank in a lot less time than those clowns ahead a me who take forever just to decide what to do, take forever to do it, and then sit in their camper doing god-knows-what for 5 minutes before moving ahead to let someone else dump.

So not to worry about getting behind us 3/4" hose people; worry about the other 3" yahoos who have what seems 500 gallon tanks.
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Jones View Post
Looking for advise on what to use as a grey water tank. Without a toilet or shower all the waste water I will have is from the sink, so don't think I need a big 30+ gallan container on wheels.
Any gook working suggestions out there?
Thanks,
Beverly
73 Boler
I have a grey water tank on the trailer but I do a lot of dry camping so I do use a small Tote N store Waste Transporter to drain off the tank - Here is a 6 gallon like I have. Its easy to carry even without wheels and it fits nicely under the trailer - will take a garden hose or a large slinky hose connection.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote