Grill Pro propane gauge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
As I only have two 20 lb propane tanks in my new Bigfoot, and one tank is easier to access, I purchased a Grill Pro propane gauge from Home Depot. I had not used the propane for several months, and yesterday, installed the gauge. I turned on my tank and the red indicator appeared on my auto switch over propane regulator. I made an assumption that my change over regulator was defective and had my dealer investigate. It appeared that this new gas line addition affected the propane pressure, blocking flow. I will have a small bill to pay. If you have a single tank system or do not have a change over regulator, you may be able to use this device. Thought I would pass it on and perhaps save someone else a bit of money. I never drew the connection between the gas valve addition and the loss of propane.

Live and learn,

Rick B
Attached Thumbnails
grill_pro.jpg  
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:20 PM   #2

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Rick, those gauges don’t really give a clear indication of how much propane you have in a tank. What they do is show how much pressure is in the tank. If there is any propane they show FULL because propane vaporizes at full pressure.

A better indication of how much propane is in a tank is an infrared temperature gage. Here again though, it only works after a tank has been being used for a short time. The use causes a great temperature drop in the upper section. At the level of liquid in the tank, there will be a noticable temperature change.

I hope this helps.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:31 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Rick, those gauges don’t really give a clear indication of how much propane you have in a tank. What they do is show how much pressure is in the tank. If there is any propane they show FULL because propane vaporizes at full pressure.

A better indication of how much propane is in a tank is an infrared temperature gage. Here again though, it only works after a tank has been being used for a short time. The use causes a great temperature drop in the upper section. At the level of liquid in the tank, there will be a noticable temperature change.

I hope this helps.
Great Mike, I have an infrared temp gauge, so best to try this. Thanks for the tech information.
Rick B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Those propane gauges are on sale at BJ's Whosale Club for less than $13 USD.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
You might want to check and see if there is a small screw on the side of the valve. I think it's a bleed screw, it might be loose enough to leak propane.
My brother in laws 100lb tank at his house had this problem. Mystery propane loss over a long period of time.
One quick tighten and all fixed.
I'm not sure if our 20lb have these screws and it's too cold to go outside and look.
Maybe some of our warm weather friends can check theirs.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane