Halogen lights not working - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft
Halogen lights not working

I have a Bigfoot 25B21FB. It has 3 halogen lights over the 'kitchen/sink' area. They have quit working. I figured out how to remove/check the bulbs on these 'puck' style lights. The bulbs are G4's and seem fine. Next I removed the light switch. To my surprise, there is only one wire going to the switch. I searched the cavity behind the light switch and could not find another wire. Can this be correct? Surely the switch requires two wires. Any ideas are appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Jim Sinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
If the fixture has a metal back plate (housing- case) they maybe using the case as a conductor similar to some flashlights
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
It looks like the G4 is a 12vdc lamp?
Are the lights inside a fixture as Steve suggests?

If so I would agree with Steve they are probably just using the case as a Ground and shorting through the switch to complete the circuit?
Sounds odd and cheap to me but that is where I would start looking for the problem.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #4

The lights are in metal fixtures. Hockey puck style with metal rings. I should be able to see if there is 'juice' to the switch. I'm sure that these are 12V as they used to work with only the battery. If there is juice at the switch then the problem should be between the switch and the first light.
All 3 are not working.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Or between the switch and ground?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:17 AM   #6

Lights are fixed now!

I found the problem. Only one wire going to the switch did not make any sense. I made a hook from a piece of strong wire and fished around in the cavity. I finally found the loose wire. It was the same color as the existing wire (brown) with blue spade connectors. I connected it to the switch and presto, the lights worked. When I reconnected the spade connector, it only wanted to go on half way. I'm sure that whoever did the initial wiring left it only half way on and after 8 years it finally worked loose.
I taped the two wires together so if one does come loose in the future, it won't disappear into the void like last time. Thanks all for the advice.

Tags
lights