hand pump - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 12:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
hand pump

My trillium has a coleman model 2231 hand rocker pump to get water from the freshwater holding tank. When I pump the handle nothing happens. I cannot find a place to prime the pump. I submerged the spout in a cup of water and pumped the handle to see if that would prime it. No luck.
If its supposed to work simply by pumping the handle then mine is shot. Any suitable replacements found by folks here?? Thanks for the help.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
My trillium has a coleman model 2231 hand rocker pump to get water from the freshwater holding tank. When I pump the handle nothing happens. I cannot find a place to prime the pump. I submerged the spout in a cup of water and pumped the handle to see if that would prime it. No luck.
If its supposed to work simply by pumping the handle then mine is shot. Any suitable replacements found by folks here?? Thanks for the help.
Here is an excellent solution, It might be bought for less but this is a good source and explanation....

Shurflo Electric Faucet 100 Pump Combo - JCWhitney
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
That looks good. Have you used this unit Floyd?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
That looks good. Have you used this unit Floyd?
I have used a cheaper version from another company with good success which JC Whitney used to carry. It had a simple on/off switch and was obviously inferior in comparison. This unit appears to be much better... though a bit pricier. Also...It is made by Shurflo which is the industry standard for quality.
I have not yet bought one, but when the need arises, I will.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Nick,
I also have a hand pump faucet in my Scamp. I first removed the old water line and replaced it with new. The old one was was absolutely gross! I also half-filled the water tank with water and vinegar, then left it in there for a few days, did a little driving around to slosh the inside of the tank. Then I emptied it and half-filled it with water, drove around and sloshed, emptied and half filled it again.
In the meantime, I removed the hand pump, cleaned it thoroughly in a water/vinegar solution. There's a little marble inside it that (kinda sorta) prevents backflow. I tested the faucet by putting the intake end directly into water and pumping the little handle. Took a bit of pumping, but it produced a good flow of water. I was wondering, as I reinstalled it, just how long it would take for that little handle to get water all the way from the tank to the faucet. I started pumping and pumping and pumping. Ran out of patience and...don't be grossed out ...I figured I better give it a little help. I sucked on the end of the faucet while pumping the handle until I heard water sloshing around the little marble, then quit the mouth-to-faucet resuscitation. A few more pumps of the handle and success! Out came the water! Picture doesn't show full flow.
It does lose pressure pretty quickly when not used right away, but it does work. Anyone have ideas for what to use to create suction other than my mouth?
I've noticed a little leaking around the base near the handle, so maybe there's an o-ring or gasket that needs to be replaced. Does anyone have advice of the best way to revive the hand pumps. $119 just isn't in my budget at this time.
Attached Thumbnails
handpump.jpg  
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #6

Disassembled 2231, its just a plunger mounted on a shaft with an eccentric. The plunger has a diaphragm to seal the cyinder. I ran hot water through it to get the rubber diaphragm loosened up then petrolleum jelly to help seal. Check valve is a large metal ball bearing. Temorary fix. The only problem I'm having now is a little leakage where the pump handle moves on the body. I assume there is a o-ring on that shaft. not bad enough to worry about.

Called two rv places for a kit to make repairs they claim its too old, and cannot get parts for it. Buy a new one for 62.00. There is an rv place near St. Thomas, Ont that has a lot of old stuff around. I'll stop by on my way to point pelee next month. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ump-39543.html

Thanks folks... Sucking on the end is a good idea. I should have tried that.
When I took it in the house I did get it to work by putting intake into a cup of hot water and pumping.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:19 PM   #7

Lil M, vinyl tubing that fits snugly over the faucet would give you a clean tool to use. if you loop it down into the sink than up you will see the water and know when to stop siphoning. Or find a kit for it and repair. Link on above post says 8 bucks. Not bad.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #8

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Lil M, vinyl tubing that fits snugly over the faucet would give you a clean tool to use. if you loop it down into the sink than up you will see the water and know when to stop siphoning.
Thanks, Nick! Great idea!

Quote:
Or find a kit for it and repair. Link on above post says 8 bucks. Not bad.
I'll have to see if Scamp has info on the manufacturer of this one. Or take it out and bring it somewhere to find o-rings/gaskets. Thanks again!
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 02:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Lil M: The white plastic hand lever broke on the original hand pump like yours so I replaced it with a Valterra Rocket hand pump. The Rocket hand pump is much better quality and throws a lot more water with each pump. I was even able to mount it so it's a left hand pump. If I remember the Rocket is only around $20 or so.

The rocket is on the left and the other faucet on the right is a tiltable high rise city water faucet.
Attached Thumbnails
high rise faucets pump & folding #1.JPG  
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #10

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Scamp sells a replacement hand pump faucet for $28.
http://shop.scamptrailers.com/p-370-galley-hand-pump.aspx

Might be good to call in your order by phone I have heard they might ship postal rather than UPS if asked, web site orders are always UPS. Minn has a premium cost for shipping. Postal is same rate anyplace.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote