Handicap Grab rails in bathroom - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-23-2015, 08:34 AM   #15
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
I agree that the suction bars in bathrooms are not ideal as the tile surface is not flat due to the grout. However I used one successfully on the exterior of my EggCamper for a year as a grab bar since the Egg did not have one installed on the exterior wall. Perhaps fiberglass is better suited to the suction bars, try one on the outside and see if it holds, it definitely is better than nothing.

Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 AM   #16
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
As mentioned, they work great as a "Touch Point" to maintain balance, but they are not safe to depend on to prevent falls or, as was discussed earlier, as a grab handle to use to pull oneself into an entry door with. And, on some surfaces, the suction cup grab handle can slide.

Something unsafe is really not better than nothing when it imbues a false sense of security. Especially when there is a better & safer way, and your health, safety and even life may depend on it doing its job.

I have two grab handles at the entrance to my Hunter, one above the other, and both are securely attached with 2 1/2" screws into both the metal door frame and the wood substructure. Took all of 15 minutes to install them.

But again, they have been discontinued and I guess it doesn't bother Home Depot to sell off remaining stock.

BTW: Has anyone noticed that safety is a sensitive topic for Moi ???

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 09:26 AM   #17
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Here's a better idea, provided that the wall to which it is attached is properly reinforced.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

disability, grab rails, handicap