handicap scooter - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2013, 06:55 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
handicap scooter

I need to take my handicap scooter with me on camping trips. I have moved the spare tire & battery to the front(on frame) in preparation of
installing extra wt in the rear.

I am planning on making a carrier for my 200# scooter & placing it on the rear bumper/frame of the 13' scamp.

Has anyone done this.......did it work okay or did the extra weight make
it unstable.

Don
Don Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Ouch..... 200 lbs + another 50 lbs or so for the hardware, on the back just sounds like a bad idea. The front of the frame won't like all the extra mass on the hitch and the back of the frame won't be all that happy either. And it still sounds like you will be close to 100 lbs light on the hitch.

A 200 lb scooter suddenly weighs about 600 lbs on a hard dip or bump.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
You'll get a variety of responses. I wouldn't do it with my trailer even if I reinforced the frame back there. Others have more stable trailers and might consider it but I expect they'd want some frame reinforcing.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #4

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
What's the chances you could install the lift and carry the scooter on the front of your vehicle?

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
What are you using for your tow now ?
Maybe a change here would be a better idea.

Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #6

I am using a Tundra for the tow vehicle.

Any ideas on how I can travel w/a scooter?

Thanks Don
Old 10-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
There are electric scooter hoists that are designed for pick-ups. Don't know how you got your scooter, but our medical ins paid for the one we needed for my wife's wheelchair/scooter many years ago

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #8

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Hello Don, I have two mobility scooters. A small one and a 4 wheel larger one. The small one weights about 95 lbs. and the larger one weights about 190 lbs. Right now I carry the small one in the back of my edge but have been thinking about building a light weight rack for the small scooter to hang on the back of my 13' Burro. The only time I take my larger scooter is when I know the camp has too much grass and soft dirt for me to get around with the small scooter. I only carry the larger scooter in my truck which I have a hoist in the bed of the truck to be able to lift the scooter in and out of the truck. Just the way I do it.
Hope this helps some.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #9

Thanks for all the advice.......Don
Old 11-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #10

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
hello. I am in a similar dilemna ( small motorcycle, though ). I have seen wheel chair carriers that swing out from inside the rear cargo area of a tow vehicle. Ideal if you have the room. After too much thought I have decided that anywhere on the trailer is not a feasable idea. Either too much or too little tongue weight plus the required reinforcing of the frame. I am opting for a hitch mounted carrier that goes on the rear of the TV and has a receiver on the back of it for towing purposes. It will have to be custom built, but for me given the size of the trailer ( 13' ) and tongue weight limitations ( 450 lbs ) of the TV/receiver etc. I don't see another option, for me anyway. I plan to have a dual receiver hitch made up. They say with a single receiver you get too much sway. Hope this gives you another option !
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
I am using a Tundra for the tow vehicle.

Any ideas on how I can travel w/a scooter?

Thanks Don
Don I do volunteer work with Paralympic athletes and I have seen some use lifts in the back of pick ups that look somewhat like these for scooters if they use one.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #12

Name: Charlie
Trailer: Casita 13
California
forgot to add also the weight limitations of the existing axle on the trailer. mine happens to be 2200 lbs. a couple hundred lbs here and a couple hundred pounds there puts you over a safe weight. I hope to bring mine in at 2000 lbs so an add'l 230 won't work, etc
olderishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I would not recommend adding wt to the tongue, rear of the trailer, or rear of the tow vehicle. The hoist in the bed is the safest option. Another option would be to switch to a Lil Snoozy, as after talking with them, they stated that their trailer could handle my 900 lb. Honda Goldwing.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #14

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I just saw advertised a device that attaches to the rear of a trailer or motor home, has one or two swivel wheels, for carrying extra stuff without putting weight on the trailer.
It's like those old little trailers that clamped to the rear bumper of a car, as a carry device. I'll bet Gage knows what I'm talking about. As for a rear carrier on the tow vehicle with a hitch on it, or the dual receiver, that idea has been discussed previously with the general opinion being it's not a good idea.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #15

I have decided not to mount the scooter on the rear of the Scamp.
I will buy a scooter that does not weight so & carry it in the truck bed.

thanks for the advice......Don