Happy Hunter Compact Jr - Any interior structural members? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #1

Name: Jane
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr 1972
Colorado
Registry
Question Happy Hunter Compact Jr - Any interior structural members?

Can anyone tell me if my 1972 Hunter Compact Jr, AKA Happy, has structural support members in the interior? I'm thinking maybe the walls between the kitchen and the living area. If so, how are those tied in with the shell?

I want to do some renovations while installing a new refrigerator, but don't want to pull anything vital out of her.

Also, there has been a lot of talk about interior wall coverings, i.e. painted ensolite. Happy is completely naked on the inside. What and how can I apply an interior covering for insulation and to add a "cozy" factor? I do like a bit ot cozy when I camp in the fall.

Love this site and Happy that I belong now that I have Happy in my family.

Janel
janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Yes, the Compacts were originally constructed with two interior support walls, which in the Juniors fell right at the rearward edge of the wheel wells. They do need something to support them there; it firms up the body and keeps the roof from sagging.

When I stripped down the interior of mine in order to remove it from the frame, the support walls were 1/2" plywood, affixed through the roof of the body by a couple of screws, and screwed to the surrounding cabinets and floor. Personally, I will be reinstalling mine when I get around to the interior work. However, I will not be screwing them into place through the ceiling, because I like eliminating body holes wherever possible. I am going to take a page from what the original manufacturer did with the bed supports, and simply fiberglass my cabinet framework to the interior of the body, thus eliminating several holes where leaks could develop.

As far as no ensolite, that started in (I believe) 73, so your 72 should not have ever had it. Personally, I gave mine a good sanding, a coat of high quality bonding primer, and then painted it with a good oil-based paint. If you want to cover the walls with something, I would suggest a marine wall liner. It's easy-ish to install, and it will give you some insulation and condensation resistance. Plus it comes in many nice colors.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:00 PM   #3

Name: Jane
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr 1972
Colorado
Registry
Talia. Thank you so much for your response. I am going to leave thesupports as they are and work around them. I also appreciate the suggestion for interior walls. Especially if it comes in colors!!
janel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #4

Name: Talia
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by janel View Post
Talia. Thank you so much for your response. I am going to leave thesupports as they are and work around them. I also appreciate the suggestion for interior walls. Especially if it comes in colors!!
I should correct what I said, I believe it's called 'Marine Hull Liner', and it comes in a short-nap carpet texture. Nice stuff for a bit of cozy insulation against interior condensation and exterior sun beating on your fiberglass.
Talia is offline   Reply With Quote