hardwiring in 12v fan? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #1

Name: Morgyn
Trailer: Boler
Nova Scotia
hardwiring in 12v fan?

Hi,

Before I buy it, I was wondering if it will be possible for me to hardwire this 12v fan in.
http://www.amazon.ca/RoadPro-RP-1179...ywords=12v+fan

If it is, do I just cut off the plug?
morgynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:09 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Yes you can and since it is a dc reversible fan, polarity should not be an issue. The wire going to the center pole of the original dc plug should be positive. Since it is automotive 12 volt wire will likely be red with negative being black. If wiring is RV 12 volt the the positive will be black with the negative being white. If it has European 12 volt you could see yellow as positive and black as negative. With the fan being reversible they could both be black as the unit is marked on -off -on. not forward -off-reverse which would require a specific polarity wiring. Make sure you use a large enough wire for the supply and fuse it properly. I am assuming that your hooking this up directly to your new panel? Some of these fans draw a fair amount of power so taping to an existing line is not wise unless you know the fuse and wiring can support it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:12 AM   #3

Nova Scotia
Great! I'll order it! And will make a note in my log book to direct wire it to the panel. It won't be far from it so no big deal.

M
Old 08-18-2014, 09:42 AM   #4

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
I have that fan, but this one is better and it can run on batteries, ac or dc.
You have to order the cable direct from o2cool for dc.

Amazon.com - O2COOL NEW 10" Battery Operated Fan with Adapter - Electric Household Tabletop Fans
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Depending on location you want the fan (or your own desires) it might make sense to wire in a 12 volt plug like a cigarette lighter instead of the fan directly. Make the fan portable using a 12 volt plug and you can use the 12 volt outlet for other devices.

In reading the amazon information it describes it as Hi - Lo so I'm not sure it is reversible as the On-Off-On switch label implies.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:12 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I have that fan, but this one is better and it can run on batteries, ac or dc.
You have to order the cable direct from o2cool for dc.

Amazon.com - O2COOL NEW 10" Battery Operated Fan with Adapter - Electric Household Tabletop Fans

I have that fan also but O2 Cool shows a rediculous price for the adaptor on their website (like $30) and I got no reponse from them about buying one anyway. I use an adaptor from Amazon that was around $12 and came with several different tips. To be honest, I am not very impressed with this fan and am just going to bite the bullet and buy the Fantastic Fan ($70).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have that fan also but O2 Cool shows a rediculous price for the adaptor on their website (like $30) and I got no reponse from them about buying one anyway. I use an adaptor from Amazon that was around $12 and came with several different tips. To be honest, I am not very impressed with this fan and am just going to bite the bullet and buy the Fantastic Fan ($70).
The adapter was $9 including shipping. It's not on the web site, you have to call them.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Nova Scotia
I'm in Canada so shipping is usually expensive.

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia
Old 08-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #9

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
The adapter was $9 including shipping. It's not on the web site, you have to call them.
It was on their website at the price I quoted, I saw it. And, the box my fan came in said to e-mail them for the adaptor which I did and they never responded. In any even as I said the fan is not what I wanted or expected and I wish I had just went ahead and put the $30 I have in the O2 fan and adaptor toward a Fantastic Fan. Buy once, cry once.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #10

Nova Scotia
I'm thinking I'll probably graduate to a fantastic fan some day! This just seems easier in the meantime as I'm learning everything.

I don't like wires hanging everywhere so I'm definitely going to hard wire a fan in. I'm also putting in a 12v socket for anything else. And maybe a hard wired 12v USB socket for charging things. Haven't decided on that one yet as the regular 12v can be used for charging with an adaptor.

M

Morgyn
1981 13' Boler
Nova Scotia