Has Anyone Changed The Front Crank Stand to One With a Wheel?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-31-2007, 09:32 AM   #15

Trailer: 1975 Boler
I have not installed it yet but my wife picked up an assembly from Costco for $20. It has a pad and a wheel so you can swap out what you need when hitched up. I am hopefully installing it on Friday before we go out.

My only question is if 1500lbs is enough capacity?

Dave

Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM   #16

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Con as I am looking at your photo I have a question. Your stand with the wheel -- how does it swing itself beside the tongue ? Which direction does it take - left or right?

Old 07-31-2007, 12:47 PM   #17
Con

Name: Con
Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300/2003 17' Bigfoot
British Columbia
You can rotate the stand 360 degrees. I rotate it with the wheel to the back.
You pull on the spring loaded handle to release or lock the stand when you have the trailer on the hitch.
When you park the trailer you swing the stand down, put in your wheel chocks, release the ball lock and crank the wheel down until the coupler comes off the ball.
Then use you rear support jack stands and crank the front up or down till the tailer is level. I have 2 small levels on the belly band, one by the door and one below the front window.

And David a 1,000 lb. jack is plenty. You are only supporting a tongue weight of approx. 200 lbs.
The whole Boler only weights about 1,100 lbs.
That one you have where you can change out pad or wheel would be good.
We let our Costco card expire a couple of years ago and the closest ones to us are about and hour away. Not worth it to us now that we don't have a farm anymore.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
This is kinda moot now, but when I first put the swivel jack onto my Boler, I found that with the jack mounted as Con`s is, I didn`t have enough collapse in the jack in some campsites because of the terrain....to compensate I would have had to back onto planks to raise the trailer or possibly dig a hole for the jack wheel....therefore my jack is mounted about 2" higher than Con`s....my trailer sits fairly low and suppose that I could have altered the axle but that wasn`t an option.....Also was surprised that some people had the trailer dollies at their campsites.....never saw any a couple years ago...they were basically a home use item......Benny
Old 07-31-2007, 10:47 PM   #19
Con

British Columbia
Benny, I know what you are saying. I always throw a couple of extra 2x4, 4x4 or 6x6 short blocks in the back of the truck, never know when you might need some. What you could do is put the blocks under the coupler,let the jack down and flip it up.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:20 AM   #20

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
I didn't read all the responses but I got a wheel that fit from an RV dealer but upon getting it home and putting it on my Boler 13 ft., I realized that when I cranked it up as far as it would go, the wheel was only about 4 inches above the ground way too low for traveling.
I took it off and just have a shoe on it but I still have the wheel and if for some reason I am on tar or concrete and need to move it I have it in the Boler.
The weight of the Boler and the smallness of the wheel doesn't allowe it to roll too good on earth. (ie) a campground site.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 08-03-2007, 12:13 AM   #21

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Hi Gerry, a trailer dolly is about the best thing to use to hand move a 13' trailer at a campsite that is grassed....but, it`s not practical to keep the dolly handy....and also the electric wheeled dollies are somewhat heavy....I also found that a small caster wheel is almost useless.....on grass I only use my truck to park or move either trailer...saves my back and other muscles,LOL ....Benny
Old 08-04-2007, 01:55 PM   #22

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler
Manitoba
I too found the wheel too small to be of much use on anything but level concrete.
I bought a dolly and find it great at home on the driveway and in campgrounds on dirt,gravel or whatever.It fits on the boler floor just fine...
They're on sale at Costco for about $15.00 !!That's less than I paid at Menards in the States !!
Old 08-05-2007, 05:05 AM   #23

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
I'll have to remember to pack that dolly into the second or third trailer tuck flat-bed, of the convoy, of needed things for camping, on next camping trip. ha ha ha
But seriouly I installed one of these folding side jacks onto my utility trailer 4 years ago and in my opinion it is too weak, where the thing is made to swivel, to be moving around so much weight on a wheel.
Also where it can only be installed on side of frame not middle, on my utility trailer (never loaded over 800 lbs. it has quite a lean to it. (any one else had this problem yet?)
I would not recommend it.
Gerry the canoebuilder
Old 08-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #24
Con

British Columbia
I have had no problems with that type yet. Three things I did tough:
1- Replaced the 4 SS bolts with ones slightly shorter (3/8"x2 1/2") then the ones supplied as they are designed for a thicker frame. Being shorter gave me much move purchase. The threads don't run far enough on the ones supplied.
2- I moved the brackets high enough so the bottom bolts where tight up the the bottom side of the frame. That helps to stop it from leaning.
3- I cut and glued some rubber strips to both faces of the plates to go against the frame, made from a inner tube. If you leave it metal to metal it will move.

I moved the trailer around on the grass in our back yard a number of times before I moved it into our garage. Moved easy with no problem.